-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Men From Shiloh

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Kruzer31

Kruzer31

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted October 24 2011 - 06:06 AM

I picked up Men From Shiloh at Sam's last week and watched the first 3 episodes. Picture quality is good, not up to the quality of The Virginian prints. The box does list the running time at 1,704 minutes with 24 episodes it works out to 71 minutes. Looks like Timeless used edited prints.

#2 of 6 RBailey

RBailey

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 12:08 AM

If you pick up "Men from Shiloh", check the package right away. I purchased a copy at a Sam's Club in Columbus, Ohio. Luckily, I opened it in the parking lot and found it was missing Disc #7. I got another copy from the shelf and it was OK. Last night, I spoke to a friend in another part of the state who said his initial copy was missing Disc #4. Not sure how widespread this is but I thought you might appreciate the warning.

#3 of 6 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,054 posts

Posted October 26 2011 - 07:03 AM

I picked up Men From Shiloh at Sam's last week and watched the first 3 episodes. Picture quality is good, not up to the quality of The Virginian prints. The box does list the running time at 1,704 minutes with 24 episodes it works out to 71 minutes. Looks like Timeless used edited prints.

They pretty much are at the mercy at whatever elements are made available to them. Since the show wasn't remastered for Encore as The Virginian was, they likely only had access to pre-cut transfers that were made years ago. Similar to the situation with the 90 minute Wagon Trains.

#4 of 6 sullum

sullum

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 02:10 PM

OK. I must be suffering from missing time syndrome or something but I could swear that "The Men From Shiloh" was cut to 60 minutes when it originally broadcast on NBC. I can remember this because as a child "The Virginian" was a must view in our household. I can't find any info on this anywhere on the web, but I am almost certain of it. (can anyone out there verify this?) So I was only expecting 45 to 50 minute eps on this set. To find out these eps are 71 minutes each was a surprise to say the least. In fact, I thought that the inferior print and sound quality might be from using some rediscovered unbroadcast prints. Am I crazy??

#5 of 6 sullum

sullum

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 03:49 PM

It seems Wikipedia has TV schedules from the past, and looking at the 1970-1971 listings it would seem that not only do I suffer from missing time, but I also must be crazy :D :D

#6 of 6 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 01:46 AM

It seems Wikipedia has TV schedules from the past, and looking at the 1970-1971 listings it would seem that not only do I suffer from missing time, but I also must be crazy :D :D

Yeah, I love those schedule plans. Helps me reconstruct viewing days and helps me find shows I may not have been aware of.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/