-

Photo
- - - - -

EXODUS BLURAY JAN 18 1012.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted October 20 2011 - 03:57 PM

Bluray .com is reporting a release in France.1-18-12.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 21 2011 - 03:59 AM

It would be great to get a Blu-ray that includes the intermission and of course it would the OAR.  Not a great film, but certainly a good and entertaing film.  The Saul Bass logo is iconic.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 05:19 AM

It will be great to get a Blu-ray disc that presents this movie in the best possible way. The DVD is a total abomination, perhaps the worst DVD in my collection.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,658 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 05:30 AM

Yes, the DVD is crap. I might import this if there is no news of a U.S. soon after it is released.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 21 2011 - 05:34 AM

I've been familiar with the iconic Ernest Gold theme since day one, but never saw the film.  Caught a few minutes of it on TV at some point and had no idea what was going on, so didn't ever get into it, and I know a lot of people don't think it's all that good -- but if the Blu-ray gets really good reviews, I'll go for it.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 21 2011 - 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

I've been familiar with the iconic Ernest Gold theme since day one, but never saw the film.  Caught a few minutes of it on TV at some point and had no idea what was going on, so didn't ever get into it, and I know a lot of people don't think it's all that good -- but if the Blu-ray gets really good reviews, I'll go for it.

Exodus is not a great film by any means, but can be entertaining.  Sal Mineo and Sally Haworth shine in the film, while Paul Newman is not quite believable in his role.  Eve Marie Saint is always interesting to watch.  It was a great book, great score, great advertising, great to good cast, but the I think the subject was one many people did not attach to.  It was estimated to cost $4 million and took in close to $9 million in the US and over $21 million worldwide.  It was filmed in the Super Panivison 70 process with 6-track sound on the 70 prints and 4-track on some 35mm prints.  It did make the Roadshow circuit.

I wonder if the French Blu-ray is using any of the 65mm elements?

And I do so concur that the DVD that MGM/UA release years ago was one of the worst in the long history of DVD's.  It was not anamorphic and it lacked the intermission and entr'acte music.  It also was only in Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround (whatever that is) so Gold's score was not near as vibrant as I am sure the 70 and 35 stereo presentations were. The Laserdisc was much more fuller and I kept that after looking at the DVD.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 632 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 09:27 AM

I too am concerned about the source of this disc given that it was reported many moons ago that the original 65mm negs and tracks had long since disappeared.That was apparently the reason for the state of both the current dvd and cd abominations. Hopefully some proper elements have surfaced somewhere. Somewhat long but It had great photography too.Fingers crossed

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted October 21 2011 - 09:41 AM

Strange that this isn't being released by MGM but by a small outfit called Opening Distribution.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 632 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 12:03 PM

Strange that this isn't being released by MGM but by a small outfit called Opening Distribution.

I'm not sure whether this is a cause for hope or dispair, Doug.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   kagemusha98

kagemusha98

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 12:11 PM

It has been available on Vudu in HD and looks spectacular! I truly hope its released in the U.S. on DVD Blu Ray1

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 11:40 PM

Amazon list the aspect ratio as 2:20, so it could be from a 65mm source.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 07:58 AM

This has been a favorite of mine since I saw it when first released. We have a family friend who had a small part in it. Every time we watched it, we'd all yell out.......There's Jerry! LOL

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   alter filmnarr

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted December 17 2011 - 10:57 AM

About 2 months ago there was an HD broadcast, available here in Austria via the German ARD. It looked WONDERFUL! Really NOTHING in common with the unbelieveable DVD...:)

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 19 2012 - 06:56 PM

I see that this has forced French sub-titles http://www.annees-la...ray/exodus.html From my poor French translation, it doesn't seem to be a brilliant transfer?

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,933 posts

Posted January 20 2012 - 01:39 AM

On another site. someone who has just watched the disc mentions the AR is 2:35 imploying 35mm. No intermission slug and intermission music.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 20 2012 - 05:52 AM

That would be me. :) I've watched part one so far. The forced subtitles are indeed forced and it's annoying. The good news is that it's a gazillion times better than the horrifying DVD. To my eyes it's pretty clear that it's taken from a 35mm source and the aspect ratio is 2.35, which is incorrect. I saw Exodus at the Wilshire Theatre here in LA in 70mm and it was breathtaking, something I've never forgotten. I also saw it several times in 35mm dye transfer and it looked good that way, too, but with nowhere near the clarity of the 70mm. Here we get a transfer that is inconsistent - some scenes have very nice detail, and certainly a humungous amount more than the DVD. The color is occasionally very pleasing and just as occasionally too brown/orange/yellow. The main titles are that weird thing I've seen occasionally where bars are on the side - is that some kind of window boxing? There's a fair amount of white negative dirt but that gets better after the first twenty minutes and most of the image is pretty clean. No intermission card, no intermission music. As far as I know, this film was never shortened for general release, so the no intermission card is just further proof that a 35mm source was used, although how people sat for three hours and twenty-something minutes is anyone's guess. The transfer is stereo - don't know what kind, but I presume four-track. There is something going on in the surrounds but at least it's in stereo. My verdict its simple - it's nice to finally have something resembling Exodus to watch. It's not what we want, but it's miles better than what we've had. I'd be interested to know if this is what's been shown on the HD channels and if anyone could post comparison photos. I know I'm in the minority, but I've always loved this film, from the time I was thirteen to now.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,260 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 20 2012 - 08:25 AM

I was about 10 or 11 when I first saw Exodus, and it made me cry hysterically. Would you believe I've never watched it since then? After reading the reviews of the DVD, I never bothered to buy it. I may have the laserdisc in a stack of unwatched discs, but it's probably as bad or worse than the DVD. (Seems like I remember a review said it had no color.)

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted January 20 2012 - 08:44 AM

HD input : Much better than the DVD, but it's not quite that.

● Interactivity: In SD except where indicated. Magnificent documentary, archival and analysis in support, listed on filming in historical events which it is drawn (56 '); interesting portrait of the director, but the layout awkward and frozen (29', and VF mixed VOST) Trailer (HD, VO).

● Film Format: Widescreen 2.35.

● audio versions: VF and VO in 2.0 Stereo DTS HD MA.

● Subtitles: French, imposed on VO.

● Images: (AVC) Very noisy and damaged, the generic fear the worst. But when the show begins, the purity of color and definition takes advantage happily. Still many white spots players and plans where the sharpness and depth of field in serious fluctuations.

● Sound: The beautiful VO, ample and well-spatial, clearly outweighs the rendering of a VF dialogues often outdated.

● Technical Note: 6 / 10

● United States - 1960 - Colors - 199 '- Opening / SPHE - 1 BD - Region B.

● Available for sale on 18/01/2012.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 632 posts

Posted January 20 2012 - 09:36 AM

I was about 10 or 11 when I first saw Exodus, and it made me cry hysterically. Would you believe I've never watched it since then? After reading the reviews of the DVD, I never bothered to buy it. I may have the laserdisc in a stack of unwatched discs, but it's probably as bad or worse than the DVD. (Seems like I remember a review said it had no color.)

You would certainly be in tears again Matt if you saw the dvd. I'll give this a miss.Too many problems. Hopefully one day we will get a transfer that does the film justice.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 20 2012 - 05:56 PM

I've now finished. I would recommend this to any fan of the film. The transfer gets better as it goes along. The color varies but it's all acceptable. The sharpness is mostly very sharp and pleasing. The sound is spacious - not amazing, but stereo and that's a nice big step up. There's no overt damage, the source material is mostly very clean.