Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV to be used outdoors - opinions/recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   tvfan2

tvfan2

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 20 2011 - 04:22 AM

Here are my facts:: Going to mount a flat screen outdoors (approx 40"), ceiling mount on a covered deck. I live in Alabama where the temperature extremes are from the teens to 100 degrees. I do plan on covering the tv and taking it inside during the extreme temps both low and high. The tv will not be in the direct sun. I realize that you can purchase screens specifically designed to be used outside but these $2K plus are way outside what I want to spend. I'm not brand specific and my question really is regarding technology. Would any of the technologies (lcd, led or plasma) be inherently worse than the others in this application? If not, I'll probably just shop by price and maybe weight. Thanks in advance

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 20 2011 - 02:46 PM

I think it's a bad idea. And I doubt any warranty will cover the TV.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted October 22 2011 - 07:01 AM

Id go WalMart cheap and see how that works for you. For non controlled lighting...chose a LCD panel. Im sure lots of stuff will be on for less than $600 over Black Friday / Thanksgiving.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted October 22 2011 - 11:14 AM

$600 is a lot of money to waste. You've got 3 problems: Heat, cold, and humidity. TV's are not meant to be outside.