Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Open to suggestions/advice/recommendations for 16 x 20 HT w/ $6500 :confused:

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   xmagoo190

xmagoo190

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 19 2011 - 06:12 AM

The wife and I are building a new home and I've got the "OK" to build a home theater in our basement with a $6500 electronics budget (must include screen). Here's what I've come up with based on feedback from some friends: My "Proposed" Setup ($6500 budget): [LIST] [*] Rear Spk: ML Motion 12 ($279/ea) [*] Front Spk: ML ESL ($800/ea local) [*] Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-35 ($749 @ Costco) [*] Amp: Open to discussion [*] Center: Open to discussion [*] Sub: Open to discussion [*] Screen: Panasonic 65" VT30 ($2700 @ local) [*] Room Dimensions: 16 x 19 w/ sound attenuation paneling [*] Proposed Use: 30/70: Music/Movies. [LIST] I've heard the ML"s at my local BB and was impressed, though I've heard they're more for music. I'm open to suggestions. As always, your help is appreciated! :confused:

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted October 19 2011 - 02:53 PM

The center should also be from ML. I don't know anything about ML's so I can't help you there. Pioneer is an excellent choice for movies/tv. Very clear and detailed sound and it has a thing called Dialog Enchancement that can be pretty effective. Marantz might be a bit better for music. $6700 seems like a lot for a 65" plasma these days. Got a Fry's near you? For the sub, the usual suspects are SVS, Elemental Designs, HSU, Lava and one other I can't seem to think of at the moment. Internet direct subwoofers usually offer the best value. Don't know enough about amps either but Emotiva seems to get a lot of recommendations.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 20 2011 - 01:13 AM

As Gene stated, the center should be the same brand as your fronts. However, I'm not a big fan of these new Martin Logan lines, certainly not the same quality they used to be. For $6500 I'd recommend the following: Monitor: The Panasonic you cite is ok but I would pick-up the equivalent Samsung if I had the choice. $2700 Speakers: Axiom Audio Epic 50-350 (http://axiomaudio.com/epic50_350.html). $2300 <-- The QS-4 surrounds are amazing! Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1 (http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm). $499 <-- I have this and love it. Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 (http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm). $899 <-- This goes on sale from time to time. Might want to negotiate with them :D Total cost: $6398 (not including any taxes, shipping, or cabling, if applicable). Unfortunately, Emotiva seems to be out of the cheaper, but extremely adequate, UPA-5 and UPA-7 amps due to their popularity. If you choose to got this route, I'd give them a shout and see if they expect any more anytime soon or if they would be willing to give a discount on the XPA-5. If you get the Pioneer Elite SC-35, it has internal amps... why do you want external amplification? The Elite should be more than adequate to power the ML's on its own... Best of luck in your purchases! JB

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   xmagoo190

xmagoo190

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 20 2011 - 08:28 AM

For $6500 I'd recommend the following: Monitor: The Panasonic you cite is ok but I would pick-up the equivalent Samsung if I had the choice. $2700 Speakers: Axiom Audio Epic 50-350 (http://axiomaudio.com/epic50_350.html). $2300 <-- The QS-4 surrounds are amazing! Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1 (http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm). $499 <-- I have this and love it. Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 (http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm). $899 <-- This goes on sale from time to time. Might want to negotiate with them :D Total cost: $6398 (not including any taxes, shipping, or cabling, if applicable). Unfortunately, Emotiva seems to be out of the cheaper, but extremely adequate, UPA-5 and UPA-7 amps due to their popularity. If you choose to got this route, I'd give them a shout and see if they expect any more anytime soon or if they would be willing to give a discount on the XPA-5. If you get the Pioneer Elite SC-35, it has internal amps... why do you want external amplification? The Elite should be more than adequate to power the ML's on its own... Best of luck in your purchases! JB

I wonder where I can go to hear the Axioms. I'd like to give those a shot. The price point is right. I guess I don't understand amps well enough to know why I need it. Most tell me its because the ML's are power hungry and don't shine till you get the extra juice going through them. Not sure I quite understand. I guess i need an AMP 101 class: I understand what they do, just don't know when they're necessary and how to best integrate them. As for the screen, I'm pretty set on the Pani. I've seen it side by side with a Samsung and like the VT30 a little bit more.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   xmagoo190

xmagoo190

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 20 2011 - 08:30 AM

. $6700 seems like a lot for a 65" plasma these days. Got a Fry's near you?.

The 65" VT30 came in at about $4399 but I'm waiting for the price point to hit $2500-$2600 before I pull the trigger. The only way I'd go Samsung 8000 series is if I find a really good deal on an open box one.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted October 20 2011 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, I meant $2700, not $6700. Anyway, browsing the local adds even $2500 seems a bit steep to me but maybe the VT series is worth the extra cost. On amps, I also have little experience with them. I just picked up an SC-35 and I have to say, even though it's more than enough for me I don't find it all that powerfull. If those ML's are power hungry or you listen at high volumes in a large room a good two channel amp to power the fronts might be a good idea. But you can always add that later if you feel you need to.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 12:49 AM

If you go to the Axiom Forums, you can usually find someone local willing to let you audition. Unfortunately, Axiom, like Emotiva, is an internet based company that cuts out the middle man to save you money. I've have a couple of buddies who went the Axiom route and they don't regret it. They are not B&W's and Snell's but they are a fraction of the price. I'd compare them to PSB quality and sound wise. The Martin Logans you are looking at are fairly efficient and most likely will not need external amplification. As Gene stated, if you choose to get them, try them without an external amp. If you find they are underpowered, get yourself an Emotiva UPA-2. Unfortunately Martin Logan has gone the Paradigm route of Asian manufacturing and now have a lot of plastic in them. Not sure I'd want them for the long haul. JB