-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

R.I.P., the movie camera: 1888-2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,110 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 19 2011 - 03:43 AM

Too many RIPs lately.  This time, though, it's not a person.

Major manufacturers have ceased production of new motion picture film cameras; cinema as we once knew it is dead..

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/13/r_i_p_the_movie_camera_1888_2011/

#2 of 4 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,075 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 19 2011 - 05:10 AM

Yeah, Sam Posten posted about this too. While it's definitely a sad sign of the times, don't expect 35mm film production to immediately cease. There's a lot of equipment still out there, and will be for a long time to come. The end of film production will be a slow drift toward digital as equipment craps out and a new generation of directors and D.P.s comes in, not a sudden flip flop.

#3 of 4 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,864 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 19 2011 - 06:38 AM

If it goes like consumer market has it will be faster than you think. Without the bulk of the market to keep things moving it will be too expensive to process film especially given the other benefits of digital (not to debate them overall, I like both as a consumer and I'm sure directors and DPs will pine for film aesthetic for years). The economic realities will be hard to combat.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 4 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,653 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 19 2011 - 06:43 AM

It's been a long life. How many items do you have around the house that are circa 1888 technology? The closest thing I have are some old rifles: the oldest one that I fire is dated 1896 from the Tula armory in Tsarist Russia.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.