What's new

Speaker wire question (1 Viewer)

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
Fellas, Probably a dumb question but need an answer. Getting ready to hook up some new RTi12s to my Yamaha reciever. My question, is there a difference in car audio wire vs. home audio wire :confused:? I've got some 14ga. wire and hoping its going to work and not have to buy more! Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
No difference. I'm using some 14g speaker wire (Royal?) I bought in the automotive section at Walmart. Some people use lamp cord from Home Depot. Some people use $200 a foot wire from some boutique brand. If you can tell the difference between any of them you're a better man than I am.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
There is if you are running them behind or in a wall. It is my understanding that building codes, at least in some areas require the insulation around the wire to be fire resistant to prevent a fire spreading along the cable that has been run or fished inside walls. There are UL ratings for cables regarding this. If you go to the web site for Blue Jeans Cable or possibly Monocable they talk about it more. If the cables are outside a wall, then it probably doesn't make any difference.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, very good point. CL-2 or CL-3 is usually required when going through walls or between floors. The insulation has a slower burn rate. I forgot about that :blush: .

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
No prob, there won't be any wire run in walls or anything! Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks