Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Godzilla (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,978 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 01:45 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 02:12 PM

So, the commentaries on the Classic Media Godzilla release will not be included...? :( Guess I can't sell it, then.

#3 of 17 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 03:13 PM

I just hope Criterion can find a way through the red tape holding back a us release of the original Japanese King Kong Vs. Godzilla.

#4 of 17 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,846 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 14 2011 - 03:37 PM

OH HELL YES!  love the cover art, i wonder if this will open the posibilities with classic media / toho for some of the other films as well?

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 17 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,021 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 14 2011 - 04:14 PM

I am not a fan of the Godzilla movies, but damn, that cover art makes me want to buy this for the art alone. I presume it's new art and new is very, very good. BTW, anyone notice they gave two bullets for the same commentary?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 17 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,106 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 04:35 PM

This will be complementary to Classic's much-welcomed DVD release. Audio/video will be significantly improved. I assume Kalat has done separate commentaries for GOJIRA and the US variant. I can't see Criterion going wholesale into the GODZILLA business, not that I don't love the series and would like to see some of them reissued as Blu-rays. Getting the original KK out of Toho and grey-market copies would be great for some label to tackle.

#7 of 17 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,192 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 15 2011 - 01:21 AM

I hope they use seamless branching and don't do two different encodes on the same disc.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 of 17 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder 

I hope they use seamless branching and don't do two different encodes on the same disc.

They can't use seamless branching, the US cut is too far removed from the original to make it work.

#9 of 17 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,192 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 15 2011 - 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek 

They can't use seamless branching, the US cut is too far removed from the original to make it work.

Isn't the difference just the audio and about fifteen minutes of footage, that could easily be achieved by seamless branching, but putting two cuts of the film on one disc and having all the extra content on one disc seems to me to require extra effort at the compression stage when two discs would be more comfortable, yeah i'm sure Criterion can do fine with the compression and the result will be very good but i still wish they would stick the extra content on another disc.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 of 17 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 02:40 AM

OH HELL YES!!!  Posted Image

Awesome news!!  It'll be interesting to see if Criterion does more classic Toho sci-fi/fantasy films now that they dipped their big toe in the water.  A proper release of King Kong vs. Godzilla is probably a pipe dream

Okay Criterion now how about some Shaw Brothers Kung-Fu & Hammer Horror!  Posted Image

On a side note, I can't believe people are already finding something to bitch about.  Posted Image  Sometimes I can't stand the internet.

Death before Streaming!

#11 of 17 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,192 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 15 2011 - 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jim_K 

OH HELL YES!!!  Posted Image

Awesome news!!  It'll be interesting to see if Criterion does more classic Toho sci-fi/fantasy films now that they dipped their big toe in the water.  A proper release of King Kong vs. Godzilla is probably a pipe dream

Okay Criterion now how about some Shaw Brothers Kung-Fu & Hammer Horror!  Posted Image

On a side note, I can't believe people are already finding something to bitch about.  Posted Image  Sometimes I can't stand the internet.

I guess thats aimed at me, i'm not "bitching" ok, just saying that two discs will help when it comes to compression of the content, i am not in any way saying this won't look its best even if they use one disc. In future please just use my name when referring to me.....Thanks and have a great day Jim.

#12 of 17 Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 05:09 PM

I can't foresee bitrate being a problem. Criterion has put much more content a single disc before with fantastic results. For a recent example, take a look at Blow Out. It contains two feature films that are longer than the Godzilla pictures and over 90 minutes worth of video supplements. Everything on the disc looks great. They know what they're doing.

#13 of 17 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 05:16 PM

Criterion announced a bunch of Godzilla films on Laserdisc back in the 90's that were cancelled for reasons unknown to me. Nice to see they're finally getting to do the first film. :)

#14 of 17 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 11:46 PM

Well, if Criterion really wanted to go full-throttle into releasing Godzilla titles, their relationships with both Toho and Universal could make a definitive KING KONG VS. GODZILLA a distinct possibility.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#15 of 17 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,106 posts

Posted October 16 2011 - 02:00 AM

Yes, that's true--but with all of the other Godzilla titles present and accounted for on DVD (with MEGALON on deck) it's hard to see what the incentive would be for Criterion to revisit them. Beyond the buffs I'm not entirely sure how much market there is for this one, with Classic having gotten there first. It may be a wait-and-see situation regarding sales.

#16 of 17 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts

Posted October 16 2011 - 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

Yes, that's true--but with all of the other Godzilla titles present and accounted for on DVD (with MEGALON on deck) it's hard to see what the incentive would be for Criterion to revisit them. Beyond the buffs I'm not entirely sure how much market there is for this one, with Classic having gotten there first. It may be a wait-and-see situation regarding sales.

Yeah, the only film I'd love to see Criterion do is KKvG due to the licencing hell situation between Universal and Toho. Image should probably just do a "The Heisei Years" boxset on their own.

#17 of 17 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,106 posts

Posted November 18 2011 - 10:55 AM

More on Criterion's GODZILLA. It has no plans for others in the series: http://www.scifijapa...n-collection-2/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users