-

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: Dead Poets Society (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,953 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 01:28 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

ROBIN WILLIAMS RETURNS IN BLU-RAY…

Carpe Diem – Seize the Day!

Academy Award® Winner for Best Original Screenplay!

“DEAD POETS SOCIETY”

Graduates To Blu-ray™, January 17, 2012

Film Synopsis:            Academy Award winner Robin Williams (Best Supporting Actor, Good Will Hunting, 1997) delivers one of his most memorable performances in Dead Poets Society – digitally restored and presented for the first time ever in breathtaking Blu-rayTM High Definition.

For generations, Welton Academy students have been groomed to live lives of conformity and tradition – until new professor John Keating inspires them to think for themselves, live life to the fullest and “Carpe Diem.”  This unconventional approach awakens the spirits of the students, but draws the wrath of a disapproving faculty when an unexpected tragedy strikes the school.  With unforgettable characters and beautiful cinematography, Dead Poets Society will captivate and inspire you time and time again.

Talent/Cast:                 Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting); Ethan Hawke (Training Day); Robert Sean Leonard (TV’s “House)

Director:                      Peter Weir (Master and Commander, The Truman Show, Witness)

Producers:                  Steven Haft (Last Dance, Tigerland); Paul Junger Witt (Insomnia, Three Kings); Tony Thomas (Final Analysis, Mixed Nuts)

Writer:                         Tom Schulman (Academy Award® winner, Dead Poets Society, Best Original Screenplay 1989)

Release Date:              January 17, 2012 (Direct Prebook: 11/22/11/ Distributor Prebook: 12/6/11)

Release Formats &      1 Disc Blu-ray = $20.00 (U.S. and Canada)

Suggested Retail         High Definition Digital Download = $20.00 (U.S. and Canada)

Prices:                         Standard Definition Digital Download = $14.99 (U.S. and Canada)

Rating:                         US-PG (Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children)/ Canada-PG

Bonus material is not rated

Feature Run Time:       Approximately 129 minutes

Bonus Features:          “Dead Poets: A Look Back” featuring interview footage with Director Peter Weir, Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard and manyothers; “Raw Takes;” “Master of Sound: Alan Splet” - interviews with David Lynch And Peter Weir; “Cinematography Master Class” – an intensive and inspirational lighting workshop with Cinematographer John Seale; “Audio Commentary” with Director Peter Weir, Cinematographer John Seale and Writer Tom Schulman; and the “Theatrical Trailer.”

Aspect Ratio:              1080p High Definition (1.85:1)

Audio:                          English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French Parisian 5.0 Dolby Digital

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH and French Parisian

# # #

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 08:05 PM

Excellent news. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a personal favourite. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 11:39 PM

The Peter Weir film that I want to see on bluray is FEARLESS.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 06:51 AM

Sounds like a recent transfer. Hope so. One of my favourite films.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 07:48 AM

Glad to see this coming out on Blu-ray. There are two cuts of this movie, aren't there? Is this just the theatrical version?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 09:17 AM

Count me in as someone who is happy to see this film being released on Blu-Ray. I believe the alternative cut is a TV version (which has not been released on home video as far as I know). I'm quite happy with the theatrical release. The deleted scenes included on the US Special Edition DVD would have unnecessarily prolonged the film while adding nothing substantial to it. They spell out too much; were they included in the feature, it would be like watching a scene and then having it explained to you in the next scene. I'm glad the Blu-Ray will port over all the special features on the Special Edition DVD, however. The Cinematography Master Class in particular is one of the best extras I've come across.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 09:31 AM

The extended version--which seems to be the same as the "TV version" Marko mentions, at least according to IMDB's "alternate versions" entry--was released on laserdisc (that page describes it as "uncut," but the actual cover says "extended version"). I have not seen it, and so have no opinion on which version of the film is better, but when multiple versions of a film exist, I always like to see them released together on DVD or Blu-ray, so I'm disappointed that that hasn't been done here. Nevertheless, I quite the original version of the movie and will buy the Blu-ray regardless.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted October 15 2011 - 08:22 PM

I have that very LaserDisc! Like most extended cuts it does add a little to the film, but maybe makes it a little too long. Ultimately, it's a good film anyway. I didn't find myself watching the normal cut and scratching my head about certain parts of the plot, then watching the added scenes and thinking "Oh, I see now!", but that's not to say they added nothing. It'd be nice if the Blu-ray Disc contained both cuts, or at least a set of deleted scenes, but it doesn't look like it from that press release. My abiding memory of the film is just how gorgeous some of the New England countryside looks. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted October 16 2011 - 03:25 PM

I definitely will pick this up....very good movie.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,953 posts

Posted October 24 2011 - 11:16 PM

Now available for preorder

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations