What's new

Hidden movies in DVD releases (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I was thrilled when I found out that the elusive TERROR IN THE AISLES would be included as an "extra" in the recent release of 1981's HALLOWEEN ll. While it should have been more prominently displayed as a cofeature on the cover art rather than hidden as a bonus feature (I would have bought AISLES as a stand alone disc-perhaps with Universals "Coming Soon" documentary with Jamie Lee Curtis as its bonus).
I can think of a few others , STATE FAIR having the Ann Margret/Pat Boone version as a bonus -and most pleasingly DOUBLE INDEMNITY including the 1973 Richard Crenna/Samantha Eggar tv remake as a bonus feature. I had wished they'd done the same with DARK VICTORY (with a tv remake from the 70s starring Elizabeth Montgomery and Anthony Hopkins), ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE (with It Happened One Christmas tv remake with Marlo Thomas ) and keeping with a holiday theme MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET with its 1973 tv remaker.
Are there any other dvd /blu releases with whole films as "extras"?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
You can watch the Theatrical Version of Jim Soto's Sweet Sixteen by going to the Special Features menu. Warner's The Dirty Dozen DVD includes the 1985 TV-sequel as an extra. And 1953's House of Wax includes the 30's version Mystery of the Wax Museum. These aren't exactly hidden but are not prominently advertised.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Criterion sometimes adds another feature as an extra most recently STAGECOACH had John Ford's silent BUCKING BROADWAY and THE KILLING has KILLER'S KISS. CAROUSEL had the 1934 Lilion as an extra.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Excellent idea for a thread. I love extra features included in DVDs and BLUs, however hidden or well hyped they may be. Here are a few more off the top of my head:

Irwin Allen's The Lost World includes the silent version on a second disc. Not mentioned on the front of the package.

The 2-DVD set of The Maltese Falcon contains two previous versions of the story.

The Wizard of Oz BLU includes a couple of silent versions of the story.

And since you mentioned State Fair:
Carousel contains the complete Liliom. And of course the Oklahoma set includes both versions even though the Todd-AO transfer is sorely in need of a re-do.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
The Ultimate Edition of Meet Joe Black features Death Takes a Holiday (1934) on Disc 2.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Woops, ahollis beat me to the Liliom.

How about something like the Psycho blu-ray including a complete Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Criterion's Haxan includes the sixties "jazz" version whose name escapes me at the moment.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The 2-disc set of My Darling Clementine includes Frontier Marshal.

Is the Invisible Boy included with Forbidden Planet a complete feature?

The BLU Obsession includes two (?) of De Palma's early features.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
The UE of THE WIZARD OF OZ has the tv movie "The Dreamer of Oz". Would have been nice to include the Andrea Macardle starrer Rainbow (who owns that?) and even more fun-and its WB -UNDER THE RAINBOW.
There are many obscure tv movies based on originals or sequels to that would make great extras because they would be too insubstantial to accord a real release. I'd love to see "Charlie and the Glass Elevator" tv movie which starred Jack Albertson from the original WILLY WONKA. Or most wanted-for me anyway-would be the 1976 sequel made for tv of "Look Whats Happened to Rosemary's Baby"-which may not be owned by Paramount. Neither-I believe were ever on U.S. video but I know "Look Whats...." was released in the U.K.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Gigi Bluray includes the 1949 French version of Gigi.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The remaster of the Criterion The Lady Vanishes includes Crook's Tour.
The latest releases of The Ten Commandments includes the silent version.
Ditto for Ben Hur.
Gaslight includes both the MGM and British versions.

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Anyone interested in the British version of Gaslight should note that the original DVD from Warner Home Video, which, as Scott mentions, had both the 1940 British and 1944 American version, is now out of print.
The MGM version has since been re-issued as part of the Warner Archive series, but to the best of my knowledge, it does not include the British version.
However, the British version is available separately in an NTSC disc from International Film Forum.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Neat. I'll add Halloween II to my wish list even though I already have the film on disc.
The Something Weird line was often fun in that extra movies/short subjects were often included.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Included as a bonus feature on the BFI's Flipside release of Voice Over (1983) is the film Repeater (1979).

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The 5-disc "William Castle Film Collection" includes the pilot and one other episode of Castle's 1972 TV anthology Circle of Fear.

Ripshin

Auditioning
Real Name
Pookie
There was no TV movie sequel to "Willy Wonka," starring Jack Albertson. I realize that the sequel novel exists, but it has never been filmed. "Looks What's Happened to..." can easily be found online - just Google the title....you can see the whole movie.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The GONE WITH THE WIND Blu-ray (and I think also the 5-disc DVD) has the telemovie "The Scarlett O'Hara War" with Tony Curtis playing Selznick, Carrie Nye as Tallulah Bankhead, Sharon Gless as Carole Lombard (and a brief appearance by Morgan Brittany as Vivien Leigh at the very end).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Another Garbo double feature is the "Anna Christie" DVD. It includes the US version and a German version which was filmed separately and Garbo is acting with a completely different cast.
DavidBC said:
the Garbo/Cukor Camille includes the Nazimova silent version.

Ripshin

Auditioning
Real Name
Pookie
"Charlie and the Great Balloon Chase" is a 1981 TV movie starring Jack Albertson. IMDb describes it:
Jack Albertson plays Charlie Bartlett, a retired railroad worker whose dream of crossing the country in a hot air balloon is encouraged by his grandson who decides to go along with him for the ride despite misgivings from the grandson's widowed mother who's plans to remarry have left him disenchanted.
Different "Charlie"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks