What's new

2011-2012 Hot Stove League (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Since so many transactions are already taking place we might as well have our yearly Hot Stove League thread. As for the Cubs getting Theo Epstein, they better not give up any real talent for a GM since there are plenty of good GMs to be had without giving up any players. Obviously the next move for the Cubs is a new manager, should be interesting to see who they pick.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It appears the Red Sox are living in Fantasy Land as they originally asked for Garza as compensation for Epstein. Hopefully the Cubs will hold the line and offer only some 2nd or 3rd round draft pick from a couple of years ago.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Now that the Epstein era has begun in Chicago it’s only a matter of time before Mike Quade is shown the door. It’s a tough situation to be shown the door after just one year but with a new President and GM it is inevitable. On a side note it would be interesting to see what Selig offers up as compensation if the two clubs cannot come to an agreement.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bye Bye Derek Lowe. Braves ate $10 million of his contract to send him off to the Indians for a lefty pitcher.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Of course the big news of the day is that La Russa retires after 33 years. Sure he'll be going into the HoF but he certainly was not the great innovator some seem to think he was and after working with him for one season I didn't think much of him as a person. I remember reading years ago a funny quip by Bill James concerning La Russa’s supposed intellectualism. To paraphrase it went something like this: “Tony is considered a real intellectual in baseball circles because he has a law degree from Florida State, which says a lot more about baseball then it does Tony.”

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

There's always been something "funny" about La Russa--in my mind. It's kinda like he's a WWE manager at times. A little odd. Always surrounded by really big players. You can't argue with his success.

And I'm always amazed when someone decides to retire immediately after winning a championship.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well from the overdue and year too late department Ron Santo finally has been voted into the Hall of Fame probably much to the consternation of Mike Schmidt.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Patrick_S said:
Well from the overdue and year too late department Ron Santo finally has been voted into the Hall of Fame probably much to the consternation of Mike Schmidt.
:confused:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Schmidt and his fellow tool Joe Morgan are two of the primary reasons the Hall had to change the Vet committee structure.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Patrick_S said:
Schmidt and his fellow tool Joe Morgan are two of the primary reasons the Hall had to change the Vet committee structure.
Can you be specific or do I need to keep fishing for whatever it is you're talking about.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Patrick, I'm not sure what is going on here with you. You posted a cryptic note, twice. I asked what you are talking about and now you seem like I hurt your feelings. If you don't intend on discussing a topic why did you post into it?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't hurt at all. As for the "cryptic" note, it really isn't to those who follow baseball and the Hall closely. Schmidt and Morgan are notorious for their attitude that in order to make their own inclusion more special they needed to keep as many people out as possible out. Over the years when they were on the VC there were numerous reports that they simply would not vote for anyone but never could give a convincing argument as to why a player should not be in. I think it was Brooks Robinson who once commented on the situation and wondered why they even bothered to show up at all. Even this year’s newspaper article by Schmidt arguing for the election of Jim Kaat shows how poorly Schmidt fulfilled his own duties when he was a member of the committee. He only came to the realization this year that Kaat deserves to be in the Hall? Perhaps if he wasn't so busy with his blanket attitude of "no one else" he would have bothered to actually educate himself on the players he was suppose to evaluating, something a VC member should have been doing all along.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've been following baseball for nearly 37 years now and the Phils.. I certainly don't agree with the idea of keep them out makes those of us in more special but I do think too many borderline players get into halls of fame making them halls of pretty good. Schmidt is my all time favorite and my childhood sports hero so I've followed him relatively closely. I have not followed any HOF history as I find it boring and political and an old boys club of sorts. I guess Schmidt changed his thoughts on who should get in now. My opinion on Kaat is not a Hall of Famer. He played 25 years or so but he was not a great one more of a really good player.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I'm just verklempt that the Red Sox have hired a new manager with no notice in this thread.

I, for one, think that Bobby Valentine is a good choice for Boston.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Albert Pujols signing with the Angels for 10 years for around $250 million. That is way too much, considering how he has shown some decline recently, and will definitely hurt the Angels in the long run.

The Marlins signing all these free agents - reminding me of what the NBA team in Miami did in their previous offseason. At least there is no "Decision" special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks