Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iOS5 and iCloud users and review thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 of 94 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,099 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 02 2011 - 01:18 AM

That's a problem. 3G to iOS4 was also said to be terrible. If Apple is going to sell 2-yr old hardware with brand new software, it has to work adequately or they're going to lose consumer confidence in the low-end and risk their reputation for being the consumer-friendly choice.

#82 of 94 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 02:59 AM

After posting last night I went into settings to check EVERYTHING and I see that one other problem I have is that pics I take on my phone don't always directly download to iPhoto.  The pics that are in People, Places, and Events folders on my phone are no problem, but the ones in the "main/default" folder called "Camera Roll" do not.

And while I agree about the compatibility issues of the older hardware/new software, I STILL wouldn't trade this stuff for anything!  I guess I'm only a casual computer guy and don't use it for work or special projects so it's less of an issue for me.

And if this is something I was able to do all along (I've had iPods/iTouches/iPhones for the past five years) I never knew it:  I LOVE that I can delete songs/podcasts DIRECTLY off the device without having to go into iTunes to delete them and THEN sync the device!

#83 of 94 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,099 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by EricSchulz 

After posting last night I went into settings to check EVERYTHING and I see that one other problem I have is that pics I take on my phone don't always directly download to iPhoto.  The pics that are in People, Places, and Events folders on my phone are no problem, but the ones in the "main/default" folder called "Camera Roll" do not.

And while I agree about the compatibility issues of the older hardware/new software, I STILL wouldn't trade this stuff for anything!  I guess I'm only a casual computer guy and don't use it for work or special projects so it's less of an issue for me.

And if this is something I was able to do all along (I've had iPods/iTouches/iPhones for the past five years) I never knew it:  I LOVE that I can delete songs/podcasts DIRECTLY off the device without having to go into iTunes to delete them and THEN sync the device!

If you have PhotoStream on, iCloud connected on your Mac, and iPhoto updated, all *new* photos should show in its PhotoStream folders automatically. Anything taken before all that was turned on won't get uploaded.

#84 of 94 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 03:55 AM

well, the screen grab of my phone is now miraculously showing up in iPhoto!  Here's what I see when my phone is "locked"...any idea on why I don't get the direct camera icon all the time?

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#85 of 94 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,099 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 03:59 AM

Double-tap the home button. Same as you do to get iPod controls

#86 of 94 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

Double-tap the home button. Same as you do to get iPod controls

Like I said....I'm learning more of these tricks/secrets every day!   Thanks DaveF!

#87 of 94 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,099 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 06:23 AM

That double tap was not obvious. I got it from a tips and tricks article :)

#88 of 94 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 07:26 AM

I've bookmarked the Macstories site...any others that are going to be helpful to a Mac newbie?  (Just got this in Feb.)

#89 of 94 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,099 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 12:54 PM

MacWorld.com has an outstanding iOS5 section. Many articles describing every feature.

#90 of 94 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted November 03 2011 - 05:54 AM

Just read that Apple found some battery draining inconsistancies in the OS and will release an update to hopefully fix the complaints of 4S users in a couple of weeks.

#91 of 94 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 03 2011 - 06:00 AM

Yup, devs are testing it now.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#92 of 94 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,099 posts

Posted November 25 2011 - 08:46 AM

I've been disappointed with iCloud since launch and I finally figured out why: It's very un-Apple like in its complexity.

The free replacement for MobileMe is great. Fully what I wanted. "Cloud" backups and syncing of my calendar, contacts, reminders, and PhotoStream, is great. It works how I'd expect from APple: invisibly and correctly.

But the document-syncing system, exemplified by iWork, is very unsatisfying. And I realize it's because it violates every expectation I have from Apple. To get a document into my phone I must:

* (don't get confused and use Send to iWork feature in iWork by accident. That's not the cloud you're looking for)
* Locate document in Finder on Mac

* Open Safari

* Go to iCloud

* Go to iWork in iCloud

* Click back to Finder

* Grab document

* Drag and drop onto Safari

* Click "Yes" to replace existing version

* Get iPhone

* Unlock iPHone

* Launch e.g. Pages

* Wait for document to sync

Repeat those 12 steps *every* time I want to refresh the file

And if I edit it on my phone, roughly 10 of those steps in reverse order to get it back to my computer.

It should be:

* Save document first time with iCloud-sync option enable

* (forever managed invisibly and correctly in background)

Or, at worst:

* Click a File->iCloud Save button

I've read why this stuff is hard. How iOS apps and OS X apps are different and could mangle documents doing round-trips. I don't care. The feature, as implemented, is a poor user experience. It's everything Apple stands against, and I'm surprised such a tedious process was let out the door.

Hopefully there will be interim upgrades in iOS5 and OS X 10.7 to improve the whole iCloud system. If we have to wait until next year for iOS6 for iCloud to make real progress towards its potential, it's going to be a long wait.

#93 of 94 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,200 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 27 2012 - 03:04 PM

In case anyone cares there is now a jailbreak for the current iOS on ipadnand iPhone4/S
facebook.com/whotony

#94 of 94 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 04 2013 - 05:02 AM

Wrong thread, sorry.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users