What's new

NHL 2011-12 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought it would be a good time to start a thread for the 2011-12 NHL season. Who is favored to win it all this year? Will the Bruins repeat?
I read this morning that Boston signed Peverley to a three-year extension. I like this move, as he was a ton of fun to watch during last year's playoffs.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/7087824/boston-bruins-sign-rich-peverley-three-year-extension

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the battle for the Cup will be wide open again this year. Boston will have a very difficult time repeating, IMO, because it's hard to imagine Tim Thomas repeating his incredible playoff performance again.
My Habs are already battling injuries, as Cammalleri just joined Markov, Lars Eller, Spacek, Ryan White and Chris Campoli on the injured list. This is not a good way to start the season. Also, I'm not sure that Erik Cole is going to add the scoring punch they hoped for when he was acquired in the off season. Hopefully he doesn't become another Scott Gomez -- the most overpaid, useless player on the roster.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
My early pick to win it all is Pittsburgh. But Vancouver will probably be hungrier this year, and I can never count out the Red Wings.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the Penguins get Crosby and Malkin back healthy, I could definitely see them winning the Cup. I really liked their pickup of James Neal last season (and not just because he's a former Plymouth Whaler ;) ). I'm surprised that Dallas let him go.
The Canucks and Luongo have to prove they can get it done in the playoffs. Right now they are just the next version of San Jose and Ottawa, IMO -- i.e. teams built for the regular season, but not the playoffs. Same with Washington.
I do not know what to make of Philly. They solved their goaltending issue, but let their two best front liners go and added Jagr.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, Philly ruined Boston's banner party on opening night. They didn't seem to have any goaltending issues in that game, unfortunately.
I read 'Plymouth Whaler,' and immediately thought of the ol' Hartford Whalers! I watched them when they were part of the WHA (and of course when they were in the NHL). I don't really think of them when I watch the Carolina Hurricanes, though.
I wonder how the Winnipeg Jets will do as far as attendance is concerned. I hope the fans support their team very well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Well, Philly ruined Boston's banner party on opening night. They didn't seem to have any goaltending issues in that game, unfortunately.
I read 'Plymouth Whaler,' and immediately thought of the ol' Hartford Whalers! I watched them when they were part of the WHA (and of course when they were in the NHL). I don't really think of them when I watch the Carolina Hurricanes, though.
I wonder how the Winnipeg Jets will do as far as attendance is concerned. I hope the fans support their team very well.
The Plymouth Whalers actually derived their name from the old Hartford Whalers. Local Detroiter and Compuware founder Peter Karmanos purchased an Ontario Hockey League franchise about 20 years ago called the Detroit Junior Red Wings (originally called the Detroit Compuware Ambassadors). After he purchased the Hartford Whalers of the NHL, he became a competitor to another local Detroit businessman who happened to own the Detroit Red Wings (Mike Illitch). Therefore, the name of the team was changed to the Detroit Whalers. Karmanos built a new arena for his team in Plymouth in the late 90's and the team has been known as the Plymouth Whalers ever since.
I think Winnipeg will be fine. I watched their home opener versus the Habs on CBC, and the fan support was incredible. The city supported the team very well before, but it was moved due to a battle over building a new arena. I think Manitoba is very excited to have their team back, and I doubt you'll see an empty seat in the arena. Their biggest issues will be the size of the arena (it's the smallest in the league) and generating revenue from local broadcast rights in such a small market. Hopefully they can be financially solvent, since the city has much more passion for the team than the lackluster support in Atlanta.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Thanks for that information -- very interesting. :)
This is quite an interesting clip. I wonder if anyone will try to take out Asham in future games?
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/11792/capitals-penguins-clash-marred-by-fight

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
At worst, I think the attendance for some games in Winnipeg will equal that of Atlanta, but that would be few and far between. They should be fine, as the team is sols out for the next few years. And oddly enough, their next game is against the Phoenix Coyotes.

The Flyers are looking good so far, but it's only the beginning of the season. Hopefully, I can make it out to some games this season!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Walter have you seen the last two Flyer games?
Washington made them look silly and at this point I'd give them the edge n the quest for the cup. Only problem is that they usually hack one up in the playoffs every year.
Flyers are very good but also really, they take a ton of bad penalties and Scott Hartnell doesn't help either, he stinks.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was only able to listen to part of the Caps game on the radio, tuning in the 3rd period. Needless to say, I didn't listen long. But I'm not worried, being that it's still early in the season.

Too bad that Flyers games are blacked out on NHL Center Ice. Currently been watching some of the other games during the free trial, though I'm not sure when it ends.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's difficult to take the Caps seriously until they do something in the playoffs. We have seen this from them over and over. I refuse to pick them in our office playoff pool again -- I've been burned a couple of times.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Last Saturday night at the Whalers game, newly elected Hall of Famer Doug Gilmour was sitting right behind us (our seats are right in front of the press box / broadcast booth). Gilmour is the general manager for the Kingston Frontenacs -- the visiting team that night. I got his autograph for a co-worker who is a big Leafs fan.
A couple of weeks ago, Kris Draper and Chris Osgood were sitting behind us. They were scouting the Ottawa goalie, who was a 2011 draft pick by the Red Wings.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I've been watching this current Bruins streak with a lot of interest. How I wish the Bruins - Sabres game of last night was on television! And on Monday night, I wanted to watch the Bruins - Canadiens game (which was listed as being on Versus); however, when I tuned in, there were only highlights being shown (like NHL On the Fly), even though the Bruins - Canadiens game was still in the third period. I have no idea why that game was not on television (other than NESN). :(
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/8098/page/rapidreaction/six-observations-bruins-4-sabres-3

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I've been watching this current Bruins streak with a lot of interest. How I wish the Bruins - Sabres game of last night was on television! And on Monday night, I wanted to watch the Bruins - Canadiens game (which was listed as being on Versus); however, when I tuned in, there were only highlights being shown (like NHL On the Fly), even though the Bruins - Canadiens game was still in the third period. I have no idea why that game was not on television (other than NESN). :(
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/8098/page/rapidreaction/six-observations-bruins-4-sabres-3
The Monday Bruins - Habs game was pre-empted by Versus for Cindy's return in Pittsburgh, which started 30 minutes earlier. I was very pissed off when I turned on Versus at 7:30 and saw the Penguins game being shown. I had looked forward to watching Montreal vs. Boston all day long while at work. :f I switched the game off and watched a BD movie instead.
Speaking of the Penguins and Habs, I returned home from out of town Saturday night just in time to catch the end of overtime in their game. I cannot figure out why the whistle wasn't blown to stop play before Pittsburgh scored the winning goal. Carey Price clearly had the puck covered.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I was uncertain what happened.
Regarding the Penguins - Habs game --
You probably saw this, but the winning goal scored by Pittsburgh was almost contested, as some thought the Habs' goalie was interfered with during/prior to the game-winner.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Regarding the Penguins - Habs game --
You probably saw this, but the winning goal scored by Pittsburgh was almost contested, as some thought the Habs' goalie was interfered with during/prior to the game-winner.
There was a lot of confusion and arguing at the end of the game, but the NHL Network feed from CBC cut to the studio during all the commotion, and no explanations were offered by the network. It was a very bizarre finish.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The axe is falling on coaches rather swiftly the past couple of days. Boudreau gets canned in Washington, Maurice in Carolina and Carlyle in Anaheim. Boudreau gets Carlyle's job in typical NHL coach recycling fashion, but the Caps and Canes each give a shot to someone new. I really liked Muller as an assistant in Montreal (and he was a fine player, too), so I hope he does well in Carolina. Dale Hunter will be interesting to watch in Washington. He's been one of the best coaches in the Ontario Hockey League (London) for many years (he and his brother Mark also own the team), but will he be able to handle the transition to the NHL?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NHL announced their realignment plan. Instead of six divisions within two conferences, there will now be four "conferences", two with eight teams, and two with seven teams. The conferences are not yet named. Hopefully, they will bring back the Smythe, Adams, Patrick and Norris names.
Supposedly, a new schedule will guarantee that each team plays everyone at least twice, so every team will visit each arena at least once per season.
The breakdown:
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Carolina
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
I guess if Phoenix ends up moving east to Quebec, this would accommodate that relocation, as they would slide out of their current 8 team "conference" to the seven team "conference" with the other eastern Canadian cities.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/315438/nhl-2011-12-season-discussion-thread#post_3876968
Supposedly, a new schedule will guarantee that each team plays everyone at least twice, so every team will visit each arena at least once per season.
I think that's the best thing about this. While I thought it was a mistake to abandoned home-and-home format to begin with, it's good that it has finally been corrected.

This realignment does sound like the return to the old days, as the setup just looks so similar, along with the playoff format.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After having a few days to think about it, I do like the new format. While there are a few issues with the new alignment, I think this was overall a very good compromise.
Pros:
1. Teams will visit every city under new schedule
2. Most existing rivalries kept intact
3. Each division spans no more than two time zones. Should help teams in Western Conference, both in travel and road game TV viewing.
4. Provides some flexibility for franchise relocations
5. Playoff format should revive those intense intra-divisional playoff series of the Adams, Norris, Smythe and Patrick division era
Cons:
1. Teams in 7-team divisions have a greater chance of making playoffs than teams in 8-team divisions
2. Detroit fans did not get reunited with traditional rivals like Toronto and Montreal, as they wanted (but this was never going to happen anyway)
3. Not clear how playoffs will work once victors emerge from each divisional playoffs. What happens to Clarence Campbell and Prince of Wales trophies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks