Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using SodaStream?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 06:19 PM

I had one of these things years ago: Sodamistic was the brand. It was good, until pop got so cheap that it didn't make any economic sense to make it yourself. I've been trying to cut down on my consumption of pop, so having one these now would be disastrous.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#22 of 29 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,206 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 01:18 PM

I bought one as a birthday present to myself a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it.  I just got the cheapest of the models (now that they make so many different kinds of the machines), and a bunch of both 1 liter and 1/2 liter bottles.  I mostly am using the half-liter bottles so I can make something for myself when I get home from work, and finish it that night.  I'm also keeping an extra-fizzy seltzer bottle filled at all times for other people in the house.

I'm the only soda drinker in my house, so everyone else does tend to get a little eye-rolley with me about it, like, "does he really need that much soda?"  But from my point of view, it's been great - I don't have to stop at the store on the way home from work anymore, no more bottles to lug on the train through a commute home, and I can always have what I want fresh in the house.

I held off on getting one for a while because initially, all the Sodastream mixes I saw were either diet or weird half-diet hybrids of sugar and splenda.  Nothing against diet soda, it just doesn't taste right to me, so that was a dealbreaker -- until I saw their "sparkling naturals" line of mixes made with real cane sugar.  (I also picked up bag-in-box Dr Pepper, Orange Soda and Cream Soda flavors from Amazon).  Of the caffineated beverages, I'm liking my homemade Dr Pepper slightly more than their Natural Cola flavor, but I also really like their caffeine-free Apple and Black Currant & Pear flavors. 

Who knows, maybe after a couple months the appeal will wear off, but right now I'm loving it.

#23 of 29 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:04 AM

When I buy soda, I buy the 12oz cans, not larger bottles. I have found the soda will go flat before I finish a bottle. Is this an issue for ant soda stream users?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#24 of 29 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,900 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 16 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'd love to get a SodaStream. A family member is addicted to fountain Diet Coke(can't be Zero...or whatever the other one is).

Luckily the Flying J by us has a "$1.35 bring your own for a fill up"(take over a 65oz insulated mug thing).

Can the SodaStream beat that? (price/ounce)

And, by the way drinks two to three of those a day(even though she knows it is ridiculous to drink that much...o'well)

#25 of 29 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,206 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 05:26 PM

When I buy soda, I buy the 12oz cans, not larger bottles. I have found the soda will go flat before I finish a bottle. Is this an issue for ant soda stream users?

Surprisingly, it's not... the bottles have some special seal in them, so they stay fizzy for a long period of time.  I usually drink the stuff before it even has a chance to flat, but I've been pleasantly surprised to discover bottles still holding their fizz a week or more after making them!

#26 of 29 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,206 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 05:32 PM

Luckily the Flying J by us has a "$1.35 bring your own for a fill up"(take over a 65oz insulated mug thing).

Can the SodaStream beat that? (price/ounce)

Over the short term, maybe not - long term once you stop factoring in the one-time cost of the machine, etc., you should at least break even..  I find it's more about saving me time and carrying stuff, as opposed to cash savings.  The lowest cost version of the machine is $80.  It costs about $15 for each refill of the gas, which is supposed to make 60 liters.  The diet mixes are less expensive than the full sugar ones - a $5 bottle of diet mix will make 12 liters of soda.

#27 of 29 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:25 AM

It's not just the cost savings, it's the health factor.  I quit soda for 7-8 years because it is really, really, (no, I mean  REALLY!) bad for you.  Everyone has heard about the perils of high fructose corn syrup.  Diet bottled soda has aspertame, which is basically poison.  The sodium level in a single serving of bottled soda can be as much as a bag of chips.  But Sodastream is different.  They use pure cane sugar, a sugar/Spenda blend or all Splenda for diet flavors.  They are also introducing new Stevia sweetened diet flavors.  No aspertame, no HFCS.  The sodium level on most flavors is very low compared to bottled soda (Eg: Sodastream Cola 8mg, Coca-Cola 27mg).  They are also lower in calories and carbs, and for those who want all natural, the natural flavors Josh mentioned are awesome. 

I still don't drink as much soda as I did when I was a 3-4 Coke a day guy, and the only caffiene I drink is coffee; but when I do drink soda, it's Sodastream.  Plus, I like supporting a company located in the one of the very few free, socially liberal, non-theocratic countries in the Middle-East.

#28 of 29 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 28 2014 - 10:14 AM

I tend to use those "water enhancers" to flavor my soda (and regular) water. There are a bunch of different brands, with varying ingredients.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#29 of 29 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,206 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 06:39 PM

They are also lower in calories and carbs, and for those who want all natural, the natural flavors Josh mentioned are awesome.

I ran out of the Sparking Naturals Apple last week (the first one I've ran out of), and I was very sad - fortunately the replacement came faster than expected.  I've been drinking mostly Apple, Black Currant & Pear, a little Pink Grapefruit now and then, as well as some non-SodaStream mixers (bag in box syrups of generic Orange Soda and Dr Pepper).

Everyone in my house giggles when the machine makes that buzz noise - i.e. the giant fart sound that tells you the water is properly fizzy.  Let them laugh all they want, more soda for me!

Healthwise, I notice when I use the SodaStream, I drink a little less than if I were buying in bottles or cans, and that I'm drinking it slower, and enjoying it more.  It took me a few tries to get a handle on how much carbination, bigger bubbles or smaller bubbles, etc., but now that I've got it figured out, I like it so much more than regular bottled soda that I've been opting for more water when I'm not at home.  And that will definitely help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users