-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mysterious Island on Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#1 of 205 Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 10:10 AM

Only atwww.screenarchives.com
https://s-external.a.../gifs/16531.gif
www.screenarchives.com
Video: 1080p High Definition / 1.66:1 Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, English Original Mono Subtitles: English SDH Special Features: Isolated Score Track (2.0 Stereo) / Original Theatrical Trailer / TV Trailer Spot #1 RT: 101 Minutes NOT RATED Region-Free 3,000 Unit Limited Edition

";s:7:"insider

#2 of 205 TomF

TomF

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 10:47 AM

I love the cover art! I have the regular DVD version which states: "Presented in a Widescreen Version which preserves the original theatrical aspect ratio, approx 1.85:1." It sounds like they are saying they did not alter it for the DVD version, but the Blu Ray specs say 1.66:1. I'm confused...

#3 of 205 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 10 2011 - 11:53 AM

Love the coverart as well, and can’t wait, but this also makes it painfully obvious that Disney has completely dropped the ball on its classic features that are not animated. How this I hope will bring about a change, would love to see this and 20 Thousand Leagues Under The Sea both in HD.

Posted Image

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#4 of 205 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,127 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 10 2011 - 11:57 AM

I am "so there" for Mysterious Island!

#5 of 205 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,547 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 12:28 PM

Love the coverart as well, and can’t wait, but this also makes it painfully obvious that Disney has completely dropped the ball on its classic features that are not animated. How this I hope will bring about a change, would love to see this and 20 Thousand Leagues Under The Sea both in HD.

Posted Image

Except Mysterious Island wasn't a Disney film - it was a Columbia film

#6 of 205 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 10 2011 - 12:55 PM

pre ordered, yes i am well aware of that, i was just stating the fact that Disney is one of the studios that outside of animation, has not gone into its film vault

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 205 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 12:56 PM

This is absolutely mine. Love the film, love the score.

#8 of 205 TheVid

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 02:29 PM

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND was shot spherical 35mm open frame and opened in Britain in their 1:66 to 1 widescreen standard. It was projected at 1:85 to 1 (academy standard widescreen) in the USA. Both framings are acceptable. It was originally presented in monophonic sound but was remastered using the stereo music stems by Joseph Caporiccio and Michael Matessino for the Pioneer, special-edition, CAV laserdisc in 1992 with Tom Long of Chace Productions. That edition used a pristine protection Interpositive from England and looked wonderful in 1:37 to 1 format. The laserdisc also contained the isolated stereo music score. The Columbia-licensed HD master for the Twilight Time blu-ray is probably going to be of the highest quality and well worth the premium pricing!

#9 of 205 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 10 2011 - 03:33 PM

Is Mysterious Island considered to be some obscure film for which there is little demand? Have Harryhausen films been selling so poorly that the limited edition business model is the best choice? I could get myself to see (if I squint my eyes) the business sense in this model for The Egyptian, but not MI.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 205 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 06:25 PM

Have Harryhausen films been selling so poorly that the limited edition business model is the best choice?

All signs point to this.

#11 of 205 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 06:39 PM

Is Mysterious Island considered to be some obscure film for which there is little demand? Have Harryhausen films been selling so poorly that the limited edition business model is the best choice? I could get myself to see (if I squint my eyes) the business sense in this model for The Egyptian, but not MI.

Yeah the Harryhausen films did not sell particularly well on blu-ray. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#12 of 205 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,712 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 10 2011 - 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twilight Time 

Only atwww.screenarchives.com
https://s-external.a.../gifs/16531.gif
www.screenarchives.com
Video: 1080p High Definition / 1.66:1 Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, English Original Mono Subtitles: English SDH Special Features: Isolated Score Track (2.0 Stereo) / Original Theatrical Trailer / TV Trailer Spot #1 RT: 101 Minutes NOT RATED Region-Free 3,000 Unit Limited Edition

Great news, really looking forward to this.  Thanks for posting and welcome to Home Theater Forum!

#13 of 205 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Yeah the Harryhausen films did not sell particularly well on blu-ray.

Doug

Really?  How many units sold for each of the films?  and what were Sony's target numbers to either break even and turn a profit?

I'm dying of curiosity here.

Death before Streaming!

#14 of 205 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,849 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 11 2011 - 12:26 AM

Considering these are region-free and will be a limited run I'd say grab your copy while you can. They don't make 'em like this anymore, folks.

#15 of 205 Charles_Y

Charles_Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 01:04 AM

Does anyone know if there are extras on this release? This is REALLY excessive at $35.00. I will likely purchase it but I'm rather pissed at this price gouging. :f

#16 of 205 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 01:54 AM

The specs have been posted at least twice now. What you see is what you get. :)

#17 of 205 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 11 2011 - 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

The specs have been posted at least twice now. What you see is what you get. Posted Image

Yep, Twilight Time releases pretty much are lacking on extras, except for a trailer and/or isolated film score.  I am very selective on their titles, but his is one I'll go for.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 205 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,712 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 11 2011 - 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_Y 

Does anyone know if there are extras on this release? This is REALLY excessive at $35.00. I will likely purchase it but I'm rather pissed at this price gouging. Posted Image

While this is more expensive than a typical Blu-ray release, and its OK to point that out, I think its important to not use the term price gouging as that is not what is happening.  The cost basis per unit for a major studio is very different than for a small company like Twilight Time.  Between licensing, authoring, and replication they need to that higher retail price for a chance to break even let alone try to turn a minimal profit.  Speaking of profit, having met them I can say that money is not the primary motivation.  Getting high quality, great titles that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day into the hands of enthusiasts is.

#19 of 205 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,128 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Quote:

Getting high quality, great titles that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day into the hands of enthusiasts is. 

While I'm glad that films like Mysterious Island are getting the Blu-ray treatment, whether or not it's high quality cannot be judged until the audio/video have been evaluated by a qualified reviewer. Has anyone seen this transfer yet?

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#20 of 205 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 11 2011 - 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by dpippel 

While I'm glad that films like Mysterious Island are getting the Blu-ray treatment, whether or not it's high quality cannot be judged until the audio/video have been evaluated by a qualified reviewer. Has anyone seen this transfer yet?

While that is true, I think the meaning of the sentence is what Twilight Time reaches for.  I know that their The Egyptian Blu-ray was top notch and they have had several great DVD titles, the transfer for Stagecoach is beautiful.  I also know that Mr. Crisp from Sony would not allow poor elements be used.  I passed on Fright Night for I do not feel the price equals what I will get out of a Blu-ray of the film, but I have pre-ordered Mysterious Island.  If the transfer is anywhere near what Jason & The Argonauts was, then I will be a happy camper.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow