What's new

Big Lots question (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have a question as regards Big Lots: I've heard it said that Big Lots stores have a pretty good selection of DVD releases, especially television discs. Is that true? I was wondering because I don't think I've ever shopped Big Lots for that kind of DVD release.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
It's a dice throw. Sometimes I'll go there and there will be nothing worth purchasing, :( but there are those times where I wipe out my budget purchasing Movies and TV Series on DVD. :laugh: What can I say? It's either Feast or Famine, but when you're hot, you're hot, when you're not you're not! :D

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Regulus said:
It's a dice throw. Sometimes I'll go there and there will be nothing worth purchasing, :( but there are those times where I wipe out my budget purchasing Movies and TV Series on DVD. :laugh: What can I say? It's either Feast or Famine, but when you're hot, you're hot, when you're not you're not! :D
That's exactly what I wanted to know! I'm looking forward to seeing what I can find.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^What William said. It's a major crap shoot at BL. You must be an opportunistic purchaser and not specifically looking for any title other than those mentioned in the BL Bargains thread. Even then the store(s) in your area may not get a title mentioned. I regularly post what I see listed on another forum and see at the store here. I'm currently waiting for some Disney titles to show up but even if they do what I'm looking for may not get a single copy here. For example, on Black Friday 2010 BL had *lots* of TV seasons at $6 each. The store here got 8 trays (about 24 sets per tray) of the same 12 titles while other stores got as many as 30 or so different tiles. It's very good to get to know the staff - be a "regular" so they know why you're there. Often I'll have someone tell me when I walk in the door if there are new DVDs out. Of course the first thing I do when walking in the door is check the DVDs. It also helps to find out when they put the new stuff out. Here it's typically Thursday (day after the truck) and Saturday (day before the flyer), although there are times when it seems somewhat random as far as DVDs are concerned. It can depend on store traffic and how many stockers are available to put new stuff out. Also join the "Buzz Club", especially if you make regular purchases of $20+. You get advance notice of sales and special discounts. This Saturday you get 20% off your purchase if you're a Buzz Club member (you can join that day before you check out and get the discount). Sunday is a 20% off coupon sale. If you don't get one, print this:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
BobO'Link said:
^What William said. It's a major crap shoot at BL. You must be an opportunistic purchaser and not specifically looking for any title other than those mentioned in the BL Bargains thread. Even then the store(s) in your area may not get a title mentioned. I regularly post what I see listed on another forum and see at the store here. I'm currently waiting for some Disney titles to show up but even if they do what I'm looking for may not get a single copy here. For example, on Black Friday 2010 BL had *lots* of TV seasons at $6 each. The store here got 8 trays (about 24 sets per tray) of the same 12 titles while other stores got as many as 30 or so different tiles. It's very good to get to know the staff - be a "regular" so they know why you're there. Often I'll have someone tell me when I walk in the door if there are new DVDs out. Of course the first thing I do when walking in the door is check the DVDs. It also helps to find out when they put the new stuff out. Here it's typically Thursday (day after the truck) and Saturday (day before the flyer), although there are times when it seems somewhat random as far as DVDs are concerned. It can depend on store traffic and how many stockers are available to put new stuff out. Also join the "Buzz Club", especially if you make regular purchases of $20+. You get advance notice of sales and special discounts. This Saturday you get 20% off your purchase if you're a Buzz Club member (you can join that day before you check out and get the discount). Sunday is a 20% off coupon sale. If you don't get one, print this:
Good advice! I'll see if I can put it to good use the next time I shop a Big Lots (we just got one in Simpsonville that I've been wanting to look at).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
What exactly have you guys found in there? The only tv series I've found are junk like Laguna Beach and the Hills. Occasionally, they'll have former rental copies of stuff like "The Shield." I've gotten dozens of good movies for my collection but no tv series. Once a while they'll get a shipment of blurays for about $8 each (stuff you can probably find in BestBuy for the same price anyway). Can't say BigLots has done much for my tv-on-dvd collection (I lie--I did get season 1 of Knot's Landing for about $6).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ethan Riley said:
What exactly have you guys found in there? The only tv series I've found are junk like Laguna Beach and the Hills. Occasionally, they'll have former rental copies of stuff like "The Shield." I've gotten dozens of good movies for my collection but no tv series. Once a while they'll get a shipment of blurays for about $8 each (stuff you can probably find in BestBuy for the same price anyway). Can't say BigLots has done much for my tv-on-dvd collection (I lie--I did get season 1 of Knot's Landing for about $6).
Remains to be seen what I find in the one in Simpsonville-- the best way to find out is to shop, I always think.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ethan Riley said:
A couple of summers ago there were quite a few WB animated sets: The Flintstones (s1, S2, S3, S4, S5), Jonny Quest, Top Cat, Josie and the Pussycats, SpaceGhost, Birdman and Galaxy Trio, Batman TAS (S1, S2, S3), Superman animated, Pinky and the Brain (all sets), Animaniacs (all sets), Tales from the Crypt, and more - all were $3 set/season. Last Black Friday there was: 7th Heaven S3, S5, S6, S8, S9 90210 (The CW one) S1 Beverly Hillbillies S2 Beverley Hills 90210 S4 Bosom Buddies S1 Brady Bunch S1, S2 Brotherhood, The S1 Cannon S1V1 Caroline in the City S1 Cheers S3, S6, S7, S9 Cleaner, The S1 CSI S2, S3, S7 CSI Miami S1, S2, S3, S4 CSI NY S2, S3, S4, S5 Daily Show: Indecision 2004 (cheaper on Amazon MP) Diagnosis Murder S1, S3 Dynasty S3v1 Evening Shade S1 Everybody Hates Chris S1, S2 Family Ties S1, S2, S4 Friday the 13th S2 Fugitive S1V1, S1V2. S2V1 Gomer Pyle S4, Final Season Gunsmoke V1(50th), S2V1 Happy Days S4 Hawaii Five-O S1, S2, S3, S5, S6, S7 Hills, The S1, S2 J*A*G S2, S3, S5, S6 Joan of Arcadia S1 Laguna Beach Laverne & Shirley S2 Love Boat S1V1, S1V2 Matlock S1, S2 Medium S4 Melrose Place S1, S2, S3, S4 S5V1, S5V2 Mind of Mencia S2, S3 McGyver S4 Mission Impossible S5 Mod Squad S2V1 Mork and Mindy S2 Odd Couple S2, S3, S5 (Final Season) Petticoat Junction S1 Perry Mason S3V1, S3V2, S4V1, 50th Anniversary Police Squad Complete Rawhide S2V2 Resurrection Blvd S1 Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1, S2, S3, S4 Sleeper Cell S1. S2 Soul Food S3 Star Trek Animated Series Star Trek Fan Collective - Borg Star Trek Fan Collective - Captain's Log Star Trek Fan Collective - Klingon Star Trek Fan Collective - Q Star Trek Voyager S3 Streets of San Francisco S1V1, S2V1 Taxi Final Season Touched By An Angel S3V2 Two-A-Days S1 Twin Peaks S2 Wild Wild West S1, S2, S3, S4 Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection V2 Not every store got every set (the one here got about 20 of them) but they were $6/each. Some of them showed up later/restocked that month, along with a few new titles, at $10/each (there are dups here): Beauty and the Beast S1,S2,S3 Beverley Hills 90210 S6 Bosom Buddies S2 Cannon S1V2 Caroline in the City S2 Charmed S1, S3 Dave's World S1 Dexter S3 Dynasty S2 Early Edition S1 Everybody Hates Chris S3 Galactica 1980 - Complete Series Girlfriends S1, S2, S5, S7 Gomer Pyle S2, S4 Guardian, The S1 Gunsmoke V2 (50th), S3V1 Hawaii Five-O S4 Hogan's Heroes S5 Jake & The Fatman S1V2 Jericho S1 Laverne & Shirley S3, S4 Mod Squad S1V1, S1V2, S2V1, S2V2 Mork and Mindy S1 NCIS S2 Perry Mason S1V2, S2V1 Petticoat Junction S2 Rawhide S2V1 Soul Food S3 Star Trek Deep Space Nine S4, S5 Star Trek Fan Collective - Time Travel Star Trek TNG: Jean-Luc Picard Collection Star Trek TOS: Best of V2 Streets of San Francisco S1V2 Tales From The Darkside S1 Taxi S2 Two-A-Days (MTV) S1 (5 bucks on Amazon MP) Untouchables S1V1. S1V2, S2V1 Walker Texas Ranger S3 Again, not all in every store. The one here got a few "restock" and a few "new". Some titles went within hours and others were still there months later. You can still get a $10 copy of Caroline in the City at the one here if you wish... They have had seasons of Dallas, Joey, Wonder Woman, Who's the Boss, McMillan & Wife, Babylon 5 movie collection, Coach, Blade the Series, Mission Hill, Galactica 1980, The West Wing, and many others I can't recall. Recently: The Mind of Mencia, Star Trek TAS, Samantha Who?, That's so Raven, 'Til Death, Kath and Kim (US), Northern Exposure (S1), and others. Except for STTAS ($6) these are all $3/season. When Hollywood/Premier Video shut down they had rental versions of TV series in season bundles. I got Rome S1 and S2 for $6/each. Some others I saw here were various seasons of Entourage, Alias, 24, Family Guy, Futurama, and 3rd Rock. There have been many, many more that I don't remember or didn't show up here. It's like William and I have said. You have to watch the BL bargain/sale threads, look at the ads, visit regularly, and be ready to jump when something gets reported 'cause it generally doesn't stay long. For every good haul I'll have a dozen or more visits that are fruitless.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Titles and availability can also vary from store to store, so if you happen to have more than one store within a reasonable distance you might want to check them all if you hear of something specific you want that's appearing at Big Lots. BL also has lots of other great bargains beyond DVD's as well, so even if you don't get any DVD's you will likely find something else. BL is probably my favorite store. You never know what you might find.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Thanks, Howie--for all the info! The only one I actually picked up was Flintstones season 2, and that was a couple years ago. Also Knots Landing season 1, which I mentioned. I did not stop by BigLots last Black Friday--went straight to Target at about 5 in the a.m. to pick up a bluray player that was somewhat cheap lol. I recall seeing no great deals on shows I'd wanted at the time. In 2009, however, I purchased something like 25 tv seasons at Target's B.F. I'll be sure to watch the ads and make Big Lots my first destination this year!! Notice how a huge amount of the sets you mention appear to be CBS/Paramount backstock. Wonder what that's all about?? Must have been over-runs. There's a grip of sets I would have bought had I known about that sale! From time to time (I stop in once or twice a month) I still see stuff that must have come from that sale. I still can find some of the less-desirable titles like Caroline in the City, the inferior Twin Peaks Season 2 set (inferior as opposed to the magnificent Complete Series set, that is). I see Laguna Beach all the time, along with the Hills, Sweet Sixteen and other crapapalooza reality series. And I tell you, I might even have picked up a few of those titles for resale on ebay. No doubt that's why they all disappeared so quickly in the first place lol~~

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
They're open on Thanksgiving day itself? That's bizarre. Well I wonder what they'll have this year---??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks