Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Steve Jobs: RIP

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,531 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 11:39 AM

News story broke moments ago that Steve Jobs has died.

Very sad news.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,045 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 05 2011 - 11:45 AM

Confirmed :( http://arstechnica.c...bs-obituary.ars RIP Steve, you made the world a much more interesting place for geeks and regular folks alike.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,045 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 11:50 AM

The front page of Apple is in memoriam, with redirect here: http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/ You can send remembrances to an email linked there

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted October 05 2011 - 11:56 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:03 PM

Just last week I was reading about the fortune that one of the first apple computers fetched at auction. The huge amount paid, way over and above what they normally fetch, was mostly for the original package it was sent in. The return address "Apple Headquarters" was, of course, his parents' garage. Very sad.

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,064 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:10 PM

Not often the death of a celebrity brings tears to my eyes. Thanks Steve for all you've given us. You changed the industry and turned Apple into the company it is today. R.I.P. :(

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,257 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:22 PM

Very sad. One of our greatest technologists (business leaders, inventors, visionaries,...). His creations significantly affected my life, childhood to adult.

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:43 PM

RIP Mr. Jobs...and thanks.

http://live.twit.tv/ has been putting up some great videos of Steve speaking if anyone is interested.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:55 PM

Steve Jobs to Pepsi president John Sculley, circa 1983: "Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water, or do you want to change the world?" Steve Jobs changed the world.

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:58 PM

Really wasn't expecting to hear something like this so soon, if anytime in the near future.

Say whatever one wants about his personality and what he (supposedly?) did, etc. to get where he got, etc. etc., but yeah, there's definitely no denying that he was responsible for a whole lot of good in the computing world (and perhaps, whatever charity work he supported), if nowhere else.

Here's hoping he found true peace and is now resting in it...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 01:10 PM

A great man died today. No mater if you like or hate Apple the industry lost one of the people that made the industry. We lost him way too soon...

RIP Steve Jobs

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 01:20 PM

Forgot to include that he was at least partially responsible for bringing us Pixar, not just what's traditionally considered computing-related goods.

Of course, as usual, it's probably debatable exactly just how much he was actually/personally responsible for any of these various industry/world-changing successes...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,047 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 05 2011 - 01:21 PM

I think people dismiss how much a person can do with their genius.   Jobs was never a "super technical" person, but he saw what he wanted, had a grand vision, and he surrounded himself with engineers and people who could make that happen.   From his first relationship with Wozniak to his ties to Sun, Gates, NeXT, and others, Steve Jobs could spot talent like very few people ever to work in the business.   EVER to work in the business.

I feel like watching "Pirates of Silicon Valley" now.

RIP, Steve, you'll be missed.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,047 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 05 2011 - 02:17 PM

Steve Wozniak giving a good interview on CNN; he had commented that a family commitment to be together was a hard thing to hold to in light of the news, but preferred to celebrate the life of Jobs and his successes. 

Bill Gate's commentary is fitting:

I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. 

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor.  I will miss Steve immensely. 

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 05 2011 - 03:06 PM

I knew this was going to happen. After we lost RAF on Friday I told Ron that Mr. Jobs wouldn't be with us much longer. I just didn't think it would be so soon.

I have always admired Steve Jobs. He knew what he wanted and how to go about making it happen. His advanced was of thinking were what made him

great. It got him booted from his own company only to have him return and take Apple to a higher level than anyone could imagine. For me he was right up there

with the other greats that I admire, Tesla, Beethoven and Einstein. We were able to witness a great genius a work and all of us have benefited from what

he brought to the world.

RIP Mr. Jobs.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,045 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 04:06 PM

Levy and Moss's words are epic here: http://www.wired.com...1/10/jobs/all/1 http://allthingsd.co...ve-jobs-i-knew/ Brian Lam grows up: http://thewirecutter...-of-an-asshole/ (The idiots still at Gawker, however, remain douches, IMO)

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted October 05 2011 - 04:10 PM

Very sad news, but I think most of us knew it was coming very soon -- there was just no way he would have stepped down had his health not been in a free-fall. I have used Apple's products as long as I can remember. From making the Turtle move around the floor of the "computer lab" in elementary school, to the Apple IIe my parents bought for our home a few years later. When I went off to college, I used some money from graduation to buy an Apple Powerbook laptop with a greyscale screen (I thought it was amazing). When I started working professionally as a graphic designer, our graphics department was running on G3 towers, then G4 graphite towers (I bought one just like it for myself at home). Now I work for myself on a Mac Pro in my study, and I'm typing this post on HTF. In my life, I have only worked on Apple computers. I understand that the technical minds that have made all of these products work are still around and creating the next generation of computing, but the driving vision behind the technology is now gone. Hopefully his vision is so entrenched with those who have worked closely with him over the years that some of it will live on for at least 5 to 10 years, but I feel that, whether you love him or hate him and his company, the world has just lost a once-in-a-generation technological and creative force of nature. Godspeed, Steve.
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 05 2011 - 08:35 PM

President Barack Obama, on the passing of Steve Jobs:

... there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.

Earlier this evening I had just finished watching Tuesday's iPhone keynote on my Apple TV. I pulled out my iPad and fired up the new Houston Chronicle app to check the news. As many have said, we knew this was probably coming, but still the lead item on Steve Jobs' death I read then was a visceral blow. The devices he envisioned and shepherded to life have become an indispensable part of my life, helping me to organize, create, and produce at a higher level than i ever had before - and allowing me to have fun doing it.

There have been many heartfelt tributes to Steve Jobs posted tonight, but I have to say this one by Andy Ihnatko affected me the most. Here's the link for those who haven't yet seen it:

http://ihnatko.com/2.../05/steve-jobs/

Thanks, Steve, for all that you gave us in your too brief life. R.I.P.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,899 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted October 05 2011 - 11:20 PM

I've never owned anything from Apple. I bought Amiga instead of Mac simply because I was a Commodore fan at the time... and Amiga also had color and a 2-button mouse. ;) But Jobs is still among the most inspiring people I've ever known of. I sincerely mean that. Really saddened that he lost that battle.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 12:49 AM

Aside from all the amazing things Steve has achieved, as a lifelong computer professional, he has inspired me more than anyone I can think of and certainly has inspired many, many others.

I wrote my first lines of code on an Apple II computer and my latest, just an hour before the announcement of his passing on a MacBookPro.  I found out about his passing reading Daring Fireball on my iPad...

A tribute from a close friend of 30 years that speaks for me:

http://macindie.com/...jobs-1955-2011/

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users