Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

American Horror Story (FX) - season 1 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#1 of 141 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,110 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 10:18 AM

One of the new shows starting this season, American Horror Story, begins tonight on FX in the US. Hoping this turns out to be as good as what it sounds like (a family move into a haunted house), and isn't too glossy and has more of an indie film look. Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton and Jessica Lange are in the cast.

#2 of 141 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,293 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 05 2011 - 03:57 PM

I could definitely tell that this was from the same creative team as "Glee." It has the same more-is-more philosophy about it. My big question after seeing the pilot: is the Columbine kid real, or is he another apparition of the house? We never see him outside it.

#3 of 141 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 05:30 PM

I dug it.  Not really into the horror/paranormal thing but man was that creepy.  Certainly better than any horror movie I've seen in the last several years (not that I've seen many).

Was that Frances Conroy?

#4 of 141 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,454 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 06 2011 - 12:24 AM

Frances Conroy is one of the co-stars, but I haven't watched it yet to be able to answer yes or no. I hope to get to it today.

#5 of 141 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 02:58 AM

Holy $#@!. This show is nuts. Definitely not like anything on TV now or I think ever. With the premise it could've went really bad but the premier was just the opposite. Having a good cast helps too. Imagine this with some of the b-rated actors that show up in horror these days - it wouldn't work. I watch a lot of horror but on my way up to bed I thought to myself that I might have trouble sleeping. Not many, if any do that to me. I hope it doesn't go off the rails - might be hard to keep the intensity going forward. And yes it's derivative, but what isn't these days - there are no new ideas, everything's been done before. The key is doing it with a fresh spin.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#6 of 141 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 07:33 AM

Just read they brought on Zach Quinto as a recurring character.  Should be a good fit.

#7 of 141 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 10:50 AM

I was unable to tape this last night.  FX.com is crap...it looks like there are NO reruns of this AT ALL?  iTunes has it for $1.99 (not sure if I'd ever re-watch it.)  Any other options that I am missing THAT ARE LEGAL?

#8 of 141 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,110 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 10:52 AM

Had read (on Digital Spy) that Eric Close will be playing a recurring character on American Horror Story.

#9 of 141 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,454 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 06 2011 - 02:34 PM

I enjoyed the pilot much more than I thought I would. Definitely held my interest and made me want to see more.

Yes, that was Frances Conroy as the maid (at least in her older incarnation).

Wonder why they found it necessary to use the Bernard Herrmann's soundtrack music from Vertigo at one point in the story?

#10 of 141 OFFLINE   Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted October 07 2011 - 01:33 AM

That's not all the score borrowing; remember the whistling of Darryl Hannah's theme from Kill Bill.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#11 of 141 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 05:21 AM

I was unable to tape this last night.  FX.com is crap...it looks like there are NO reruns of this AT ALL?  iTunes has it for $1.99 (not sure if I'd ever re-watch it.)  Any other options that I am missing THAT ARE LEGAL?

I watched it on demand on cable (Bright House).

#12 of 141 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 10 2011 - 05:35 AM

There's at least one repeat at midnight the evening before the new episodes, and I believe you can watch it for free at the FX website. I wasn't really thrilled by this. I had to roll my eyes right at the very start when the wife calls 911 because she thinks there's a prowler in the house. Then, instead of getting the hell out of the house and waiting for the police to arrive, decides to go upstairs and check it out for herself. The scenes with the husband seem like they're just going over the same territory as covered by "The Shining." I'll probably watch another episode or two, but I was rather disappointed by the pilot. The only thing kind of keeping me interested was when Jessica Lange said to the housekeeper: [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Don't make me kill you again.[/SPOILER]
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#13 of 141 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 07:31 AM

I had no idea how raw this show was going to be. Not something that bothers me normally, but when watching with my 17 year old daughter the

two semi explicit scenes of masturbation by the husband and then the maid and all the cocksucker talk by the crazy kid

really made me uncomfortable....Posted Image

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#14 of 141 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 10 2011 - 07:54 AM

I had no idea how raw this show was going to be.

FX ran plenty of warnings, but I agree it was still a little surprising for basic cable.

#15 of 141 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,889 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 08:03 AM

I just find it funny that you didn't even mention the Gimp impregnating the wife.

#16 of 141 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how heavily this borrows from "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark".

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#17 of 141 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 11:50 PM

I am not sure what I was expecting from this show, but I was a little disappointed. I will watch a few more episodes to see how it goes, but honeslty I am not all that excited about it.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#18 of 141 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by ScottH 

I just find it funny that you didn't even mention the Gimp impregnating the wife.

Yeah, add that one too.  In any event, I'll still watch...just took me off guard. I suppose I just filtered out the FX warning on content.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#19 of 141 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,491 posts

Posted October 12 2011 - 02:10 AM

Pretty creepy premiere.  Not sure where they will go with it, but I'm along for the ride for now.  Any word on how the ratings were?

It's finally up on the FX website....and you have to ENTER YOUR AGE to watch it!

#20 of 141 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 12 2011 - 05:46 AM

Pretty creepy premiere.  Not sure where they will go with it, but I'm along for the ride for now.  Any word on how the ratings were?

It's finally up on the FX website....and you have to ENTER YOUR AGE to watch it!

From the show's page at Wikipedia:

The pilot episode gained a 1.6 ratings share among adults aged 18–49 and garnered 3.2 million viewers

The 18-49 rating is better than some major network shows, and similar to a high-rated CW series.