What's new

Nothing Sacred (1937) coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Kino Video is releasing the Selznick Technicolor comedy NOTHING SACRED on December 20. From the blurb from Classic Flix suggests that this version is not the Disney restoration Scott MacQueen did several years ago. I was lucky to attend a screening of this film and the restoration was superb. For some reason, and probably its PD status, Disney either hasn't offered it for cable or video presentations or because of the PD status MGM and TCM have just ignored this version, but have shown or released most of the other Disney Selznick restorations. It would be a real shame to just use the David Selznick personal print again for this release...especiallly for Blu-ray. I hope I am wrong. http://www.classicflix.com/nothing-sacred-bluray-p-11771.html

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Personally, I'm glad this has been plucked out of PD hell period, though I agree it would be a shame if that restoration isn't used. The other pd blu-ray release from Selznik, A FAREWELL TO ARMS, is another I look forward to on blu-ray, even though that one got a good DVD release by Image using the UCLA restoration.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
A few minor things, but basically every Kino release has been stellar, truly amazing how well the Keaton’s have been. Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, I mean just amazing work. So before we count this out as just a scan from the Selznick Estate; I wait to see the official press release for all of the announced titles, I have a feeling that there may be some surprises in store for all of us; as to the presentation of the films. Including the possibilities of extras for each of the titles mentioned.

I am reminded, as I am reading thru a couple of different threads that the MGM/Criterion deals that the Selznick films were not part of the agreement. So there is the possibility that something else is in the works.

The best part of these announced titles is that, not only good films, but classic Carole Lombard and Gary Cooper get to shine again.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Here's a nice detailed piece on the restoration: http://digitalcontentproducer.com/mag/video_first_person_restoring/ I would love to see it/buy it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Eric Vedowski

Here's a nice detailed piece on the restoration:
http://digitalcontentproducer.com/mag/video_first_person_restoring/
I would love to see it/buy it.

Thanks for linking that article. There is often SO much going on behind the scenes to bring us these treasures, and it's always fascinating to read about the sometimes intricate steps that have to be taken to rescue a movie.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
From the above link:

Disney has also manufactured new polyester YCM masters from both the nitrate originals and the digitally rendered internegative.
Hopefully Kino can get its hands on either one of these for its release.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I had heard that the Museum of Modern Art restored this film. Is that the same thing as the Disney restoration? Here's hoping other missing Selznick pictures come to blu ray (or even DVD) in quality presentations (Little Lord Fauntleroy, Adventures of Tom Sawyer).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is great news. Even if they are not using the full restoration, it has to be better than the PD garbage that is currently out there. My only problem with Kino is their price structure. They are usually close to Criterion in pricing, but usually without the extras or nice booklets. I hope that this gets the royal treatment all around.:)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Granted sometime the price structure can be a problem, and the fact that there isn’t a retailer that normally has these on sale, except Amazon pre order, but occasionally Deep Discount, will do something. My biggest beef with this is locally, you almost have to go to a specialty shop, Barnes & Noble to find most of the Kino releases, which means a lot of it comes from internet sales.

As I said earlier, I look forward to this, and the rest of the Kino titles mentioned, because at least between them and Criterion some deep catalog titles are getting released, and I have been happy with the presentations.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The article about the Disney restoration is from the year 2000. It says there would be a DVD version. Did that happen? I have never seen this movie look good.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
To the best of my knowledge there has never been a release of the Disney restoration. I can't for the life of me understand the decisions that are made by some of these companies. Some of the time they are OK with spending money on a restoration that they will never release (I've never even seen this offered in a theatrically)....and other times they are OK with releasing a film with minimal or poor restoration. :confused: Don't get me wrong, I'm excited that they paid for the restoration of this fine film, but if they had no plans to release it....even theatrically, then why?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

I had heard that the Museum of Modern Art restored this film. Is that the same thing as the Disney restoration? Here's hoping other missing Selznick pictures come to blu ray (or even DVD) in quality presentations (Little Lord Fauntleroy, Adventures of Tom Sawyer).

Are not the non PD Selznick titles controlled by ABC (Disney) who licensed the home entertainment rights to MGM? Very convoluted. I have a region 2 DVD of Tom Sawyer, which does not look bad, but could be much better if worked on. I know that MGM has released many of the Selznick titles on DVD, but not Sawyer. I believe that Little Lord Fauntleroy is a PD title so a decent release from Kino would be good.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
I hope someone releases "Duel in the sun" too. Maybe Disney owns it too. Although that would be irrelevant if their restoration (of Nothing sacred) isn't the version released now (which would mean maybe Kino had struck some kind of deal with them).

DanMel

Second Unit
JoHud said:
Personally, I'm glad this has been plucked out of PD hell period, though I agree it would be a shame if that restoration isn't used. The other pd blu-ray release from Selznik, A FAREWELL TO ARMS, is another I look forward to on blu-ray, even though that one got a good DVD release by Image using the UCLA restoration.
Image used the same 35 mm nitrate print that Kino is using. It's the only good print out there on farewell to arms 1932 as all warner brothers has is the hacked up 80 min print that they did themselves after the code was enforced. The Selznick print looks as good as any WB restored print from that period. It is quite an amazing looking print for 1932 and is uncut and will look incredable on blu-ray. Kino has listed 80 min on their box but image did the same thing and listed it as 80 when in fact it is 89 min. The only problem with the image release was the sound effects were 100 times louder than the talking. You turn the talking up and get your ears blasted big time on an explosion. Hopefully they clear this up and get a more balanced sound between talking and special effects. It may very well be that UCLA restoration was done on the Selznick uncut print but don't know for sure on that. Heres information on image dvd release from 1999: 1999 [89 min. version. (Playing time on release was 78, 80 or 90 min., according to: AFI catalog, 1931-1940.) "Remastered from the finest available nitrate print acquired from the David O. Selznick vaults; restores this Hollywood masterwork to its rightful glory"--DVD sleeve] http://www.worldcat.org/title/farewell-to-arms/oclc/30932657/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
DanMel said:
Image used the same 35 mm nitrate print that Kino is using. It's the only good print out there on farewell to arms 1932 as all warner brothers has is the hacked up 80 min print that they did themselves after the code was enforced. The Selznick print looks as good as any WB restored print from that period. It is quite an amazing looking print for 1932 and is uncut and will look incredable on blu-ray. Kino has listed 80 min on their box but image did the same thing and listed it as 80 when in fact it is 89 min. The only problem with the image release was the sound effects were 100 times louder than the talking. You turn the talking up and get your ears blasted big time on an explosion. Hopefully they clear this up and get a more balanced sound between talking and special effects. It may very well be that UCLA restoration was done on the Selznick uncut print but don't know for sure on that. Heres information on image dvd release from 1999: 1999 [89 min. version. (Playing time on release was 78, 80 or 90 min., according to: AFI catalog, 1931-1940.) "Remastered from the finest available nitrate print acquired from the David O. Selznick vaults; restores this Hollywood masterwork to its rightful glory"--DVD sleeve] http://www.worldcat.org/title/farewell-to-arms/oclc/30932657/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true
I own the Image dvd and eagerly await the Kino blu-ray. I hope what you say is true, about Kino using that print. You have summarized this movie's history pretty well. The Warner re-cut for their mid-'40s re-release may have its fans (they added underscore music and so the movie plays more like we're used to now, instead of the original cut, which I believe only has incidental music, something very usual in pre-code movies), after all it's the one most people know, it's been the version played on tv for many years, and Kino could have added it as an extra (if a nice print of it exists at all, which is debatable considering all public-domains releases use this cut and look like hell, but Warner probably owns one good print in their vaults), but of course the original release cut is the one to favor and preserve. The movie already had its share of problems with censorhip for the original release too, by the way.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
No mention here that Anchor Bay, under its original ownership, had the Selznick films on early DVDs. Anchor Bay was having a Disney deal also that did not seem to go far. Anchor Bay then seemed to get into some British material from Ealing productions etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks