Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Nothing Sacred (1937) coming to Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 03 2011 - 02:45 PM

Kino Video is releasing the Selznick Technicolor comedy NOTHING SACRED on December 20. From the blurb from Classic Flix suggests that this version is not the Disney restoration Scott MacQueen did several years ago. I was lucky to attend a screening of this film and the restoration was superb. For some reason, and probably its PD status, Disney either hasn't offered it for cable or video presentations or because of the PD status MGM and TCM have just ignored this version, but have shown or released most of the other Disney Selznick restorations. It would be a real shame to just use the David Selznick personal print again for this release...especiallly for Blu-ray. I hope I am wrong. http://www.classicfl...ay-p-11771.html

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted October 03 2011 - 04:16 PM

Personally, I'm glad this has been plucked out of PD hell period, though I agree it would be a shame if that restoration isn't used. The other pd blu-ray release from Selznik, A FAREWELL TO ARMS, is another I look forward to on blu-ray, even though that one got a good DVD release by Image using the UCLA restoration.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 04 2011 - 12:22 AM

A few minor things, but basically every Kino release has been stellar, truly amazing how well the Keaton’s have been. Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, I mean just amazing work. So before we count this out as just a scan from the Selznick Estate; I wait to see the official press release for all of the announced titles, I have a feeling that there may be some surprises in store for all of us; as to the presentation of the films. Including the possibilities of extras for each of the titles mentioned.

I am reminded, as I am reading thru a couple of different threads that the MGM/Criterion deals that the Selznick films were not part of the agreement. So there is the possibility that something else is in the works.   

The best part of these announced titles is that, not only good films, but classic Carole Lombard and Gary Cooper get to shine again.  

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 302 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted October 04 2011 - 12:54 AM

Here's a nice detailed piece on the restoration: http://digitalconten...rson_restoring/ I would love to see it/buy it.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,475 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 04 2011 - 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Vedowski 

Here's a nice detailed piece on the restoration:
http://digitalconten...rson_restoring/
I would love to see it/buy it.

Thanks for linking that article. There is often SO much going on behind the scenes to bring us these treasures, and it's always fascinating to read about the sometimes intricate steps that have to be taken to rescue a movie.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 04 2011 - 04:22 AM

From the  above link:

Disney has also manufactured new polyester YCM masters from both the nitrate originals and the digitally rendered internegative.

Hopefully Kino can get its hands on either one of these for its release.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 09:07 AM

I had heard that the Museum of Modern Art restored this film. Is that the same thing as the Disney restoration? Here's hoping other missing Selznick pictures come to blu ray (or even DVD) in quality presentations (Little Lord Fauntleroy, Adventures of Tom Sawyer).

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 12:53 AM

This is great news. Even if they are not using the full restoration, it has to be better than the PD garbage that is currently out there. My only problem with Kino is their price structure. They are usually close to Criterion in pricing, but usually without the extras or nice booklets. I hope that this gets the royal treatment all around.:)

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted October 05 2011 - 04:25 AM

Granted sometime the price structure can be a problem, and the fact that there isn’t a retailer that normally has these on sale, except Amazon pre order, but occasionally Deep Discount, will do something. My biggest beef with this is locally, you almost have to go to a specialty shop, Barnes & Noble to find most of the Kino releases, which means a lot of it comes from internet sales.

As I said earlier, I look forward to this, and the rest of the Kino titles mentioned, because at least between them and Criterion some deep catalog titles are getting released, and I have been happy with the presentations.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 12:09 PM

The article about the Disney restoration is from the year 2000. It says there would be a DVD version. Did that happen? I have never seen this movie look good.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted October 07 2011 - 12:20 AM

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a release of the Disney restoration. I can't for the life of me understand the decisions that are made by some of these companies. Some of the time they are OK with spending money on a restoration that they will never release (I've never even seen this offered in a theatrically)....and other times they are OK with releasing a film with minimal or poor restoration. :confused: Don't get me wrong, I'm excited that they paid for the restoration of this fine film, but if they had no plans to release it....even theatrically, then why?

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,801 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 07 2011 - 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes 

I had heard that the Museum of Modern Art restored this film. Is that the same thing as the Disney restoration? Here's hoping other missing Selznick pictures come to blu ray (or even DVD) in quality presentations (Little Lord Fauntleroy, Adventures of Tom Sawyer).

Are not the non PD Selznick titles controlled by ABC (Disney) who licensed the home entertainment rights to MGM?  Very convoluted.  I have a region 2 DVD of Tom Sawyer, which does not look bad, but could be much better if worked on.  I know that MGM has released many of the Selznick titles on DVD, but not Sawyer.  I believe that Little Lord Fauntleroy is a PD title so a decent release from Kino would be good.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted November 04 2011 - 06:18 AM

I hope someone releases "Duel in the sun" too. Maybe Disney owns it too. Although that would be irrelevant if their restoration (of Nothing sacred) isn't the version released now (which would mean maybe Kino had struck some kind of deal with them).

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   DanMel

DanMel

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 10:04 PM

Personally, I'm glad this has been plucked out of PD hell period, though I agree it would be a shame if that restoration isn't used. The other pd blu-ray release from Selznik, A FAREWELL TO ARMS, is another I look forward to on blu-ray, even though that one got a good DVD release by Image using the UCLA restoration.

Image used the same 35 mm nitrate print that Kino is using. It's the only good print out there on farewell to arms 1932 as all warner brothers has is the hacked up 80 min print that they did themselves after the code was enforced. The Selznick print looks as good as any WB restored print from that period. It is quite an amazing looking print for 1932 and is uncut and will look incredable on blu-ray. Kino has listed 80 min on their box but image did the same thing and listed it as 80 when in fact it is 89 min. The only problem with the image release was the sound effects were 100 times louder than the talking. You turn the talking up and get your ears blasted big time on an explosion. Hopefully they clear this up and get a more balanced sound between talking and special effects. It may very well be that UCLA restoration was done on the Selznick uncut print but don't know for sure on that. Heres information on image dvd release from 1999: 1999 [89 min. version. (Playing time on release was 78, 80 or 90 min., according to: AFI catalog, 1931-1940.) "Remastered from the finest available nitrate print acquired from the David O. Selznick vaults; restores this Hollywood masterwork to its rightful glory"--DVD sleeve] http://www.worldcat....itionsView=true

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 04:14 AM

Image used the same 35 mm nitrate print that Kino is using. It's the only good print out there on farewell to arms 1932 as all warner brothers has is the hacked up 80 min print that they did themselves after the code was enforced. The Selznick print looks as good as any WB restored print from that period. It is quite an amazing looking print for 1932 and is uncut and will look incredable on blu-ray. Kino has listed 80 min on their box but image did the same thing and listed it as 80 when in fact it is 89 min. The only problem with the image release was the sound effects were 100 times louder than the talking. You turn the talking up and get your ears blasted big time on an explosion. Hopefully they clear this up and get a more balanced sound between talking and special effects. It may very well be that UCLA restoration was done on the Selznick uncut print but don't know for sure on that. Heres information on image dvd release from 1999: 1999 [89 min. version. (Playing time on release was 78, 80 or 90 min., according to: AFI catalog, 1931-1940.) "Remastered from the finest available nitrate print acquired from the David O. Selznick vaults; restores this Hollywood masterwork to its rightful glory"--DVD sleeve] http://www.worldcat....itionsView=true

I own the Image dvd and eagerly await the Kino blu-ray. I hope what you say is true, about Kino using that print. You have summarized this movie's history pretty well. The Warner re-cut for their mid-'40s re-release may have its fans (they added underscore music and so the movie plays more like we're used to now, instead of the original cut, which I believe only has incidental music, something very usual in pre-code movies), after all it's the one most people know, it's been the version played on tv for many years, and Kino could have added it as an extra (if a nice print of it exists at all, which is debatable considering all public-domains releases use this cut and look like hell, but Warner probably owns one good print in their vaults), but of course the original release cut is the one to favor and preserve. The movie already had its share of problems with censorhip for the original release too, by the way.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 08:58 AM

No mention here that Anchor Bay, under its original ownership, had the Selznick films on early DVDs. Anchor Bay was having a Disney deal also that did not seem to go far. Anchor Bay then seemed to get into some British material from Ealing productions etc.