-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-Ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 06:13 AM

Surprised this hasn't popped up here yet, but Paramount has announced that they are completely remastering TNG in HD for Blu-Ray release starting next year. Having worked down the hall from the Star Trek editorial team at Paramount many years back, I know what a massive undertaking this is. Though shot on film, the visual effects and finish was done completely on video. (Nearly all of the VFX model work was shot on film, but a lot of effects were done on video.) Though EDLs from the editing system were archived, at the time they never went back and did a negative conform. Paramount is going back to the camera negatives, transferring them then reconforming them to match the EDLs. That could be a very interesting experience because I'm not sure how good of a job the assistant editors did at making sure the keycode was properly entered and tracked. They're also transferring any film-based VFX elements and mattes then remaking all of the effects in HD. Finally, they're going back to the original audio stems and remastering each episode in 7.1. Here's a promo trailer for the release: TNG in HD A three-episode preview comes out in January. I'm very interested to see how the episodes look - and also curious to see if they maintain the original aspect ratio as they did for TOS or if they do a top and side reconform to 16x9. -greg

#2 of 17 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 07:01 AM

There's already a thread in the TV on DVD and Blu-ray forums: http://www.hometheat...ned-for-blu-ray

#3 of 17 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 07:16 AM

Stupid me. Was digging on the wrong forum. Sincere apologies... Admins, please feel free to nuke this post into the ether. -greg

#4 of 17 JParker

JParker

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted December 04 2011 - 07:18 AM

Surprised this hasn't popped up here yet, but Paramount has announced that they are completely remastering TNG in HD for Blu-Ray release starting next year. Having worked down the hall from the Star Trek editorial team at Paramount many years back, I know what a massive undertaking this is. Though shot on film, the visual effects and finish was done completely on video. (Nearly all of the VFX model work was shot on film, but a lot of effects were done on video.) Though EDLs from the editing system were archived, at the time they never went back and did a negative conform. Paramount is going back to the camera negatives, transferring them then reconforming them to match the EDLs. That could be a very interesting experience because I'm not sure how good of a job the assistant editors did at making sure the keycode was properly entered and tracked. They're also transferring any film-based VFX elements and mattes then remaking all of the effects in HD. Finally, they're going back to the original audio stems and remastering each episode in 7.1. Here's a promo trailer for the release: TNG in HD A three-episode preview comes out in January. I'm very interested to see how the episodes look - and also curious to see if they maintain the original aspect ratio as they did for TOS or if they do a top and side reconform to 16x9. -greg

And here's more: http://tng.trekcore.....html#analysis2 Any thoughts, since as you wrote,

Having worked down the hall from the Star Trek editorial team at Paramount many years back, I know what a massive undertaking this is. Though shot on film, the visual effects and finish was done completely on video.

From CBS, they wrote: http://www.cbspresse...s/view?id=29302

LOS ANGELES – September 28, 2011 – The beloved series STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® will be transferred to high-definition for the first time ever and released on Blu-ray™, it was announced today by Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Home Entertainment. All 178 episodes from seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release on Blu-ray and eventual runs on television and digital platforms both domestically and internationally. “Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® for years,” said Ross. “Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can’t wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases.” Transferring STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® to high-definition presented numerous challenges – The series was originally shot on film and then transferred to videotape, which was used to edit episodes together. In order to create true HD masters, CBS is going back to the original uncut film negative – all 25,000 plus film reels of it – and cutting the episodes together exactly the way they originally aired. The visual effects were all shot on film and will be painstakingly recompositioned, not upconverted from videotape. The newly cut film will then be transferred to true high-definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. Denise and Mike Okuda are consulting on the project.

I wonder, as an insider, what you think. They never lit like Gerry Perry Finnerman, of the original series.

#5 of 17 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 30 2012 - 03:31 AM

For those interested, the complete first season is coming to Blu-Ray on July 24. The 13 seconds of missing film from “Sins of the Father” have since been located in a mislabeled box, and the standard definition video will be replaced for the version of the episode in the full season set.

#6 of 17 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 07:18 AM

Not available to pre-order yet?

#7 of 17 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 06:05 AM

Amazon has it for pre-order now. At $90, that might just be too steep for me. I may be swayed if the reviews are positive.

I was blown away by how good Encounter at Farpoint looked and sounded on the sampler that I am willing to put up with Season 1's lousy episodes. There are still mostly good ones in the bunch.

#8 of 17 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 20 2012 - 07:50 AM

Just a heads up that Amazon has this for $59.99 today.

#9 of 17 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 20 2012 - 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer 

Just a heads up that Amazon has this for $59.99 today.

Thank god their pre-order guarantees to match lowest price!   That, and $60 is dead on perfect price for this.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#10 of 17 dlbsyst

dlbsyst

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 21 2012 - 05:42 PM

I will still be getting mine from Best Buy Tuesday morning. I can get it for $54.99 with a traded in DVD. Amazon is just copying Best Buys price and they are charging tax now for those of us in Texas so no savings anymore.

#11 of 17 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 466 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 02:25 PM

I just got back from the Fathom Event for this and it looked excellent. I'll be getting by Blu from Best Buy tomorrow.

#12 of 17 nealg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 03:45 PM

I also came back from the Fathom event. I was disappointed in the video quality (quite a bit of noise), but I think the fault lies with the transmission to the theater. Incidentally, the promo they ran for Season 2 looked better than the two episodes shown.:confused:

#13 of 17 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 466 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 03:53 PM

I agree that the season 2 footage looked incredible. It is possible that they only used the shots that looked the best of the season however.

#14 of 17 nealg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 03:55 PM

GET A $10 CREDIT ON YOUR PURCHASE OF ST:TNG BLU-RAY AT BEST BUY Order at BestBuy.com and select in-store pickup. This will get you a $10 savings code (instead of the $5 you'd get for a traded dvd). Unless, of course, you don't plan to buy anything from Best Buy before the end of August (code expires).

#15 of 17 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,650 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 23 2012 - 04:45 PM

It had to be the transmission, Neal.  I didn't find any problem in the presentation outside of what was in the show originally (cheap-ish looking sets).

Now I wanna see some DS9 in high def on the theater screen...

#16 of 17 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 11:42 AM

Apparently the ST:TNG blus have 3 defective discs, but there is a replacement program being set up. http://www.giantfrea...ments-free.html

#17 of 17 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 466 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 06:27 AM

To get the replacement discs you just have to give them the codes that are printed on the 3 discs.