-

- - - - -

Sony To Stop Comping 3D Glasses For Theaters! Are you going to pay for 3D glasses on top of the 3D surcharge?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 04:50 PM

Sony Pictures Entertainment has notified theater owners in a letter that it will no longer pay for 3D glasses as of May 1, 2012.  Fox tried this years ago when digital 3D was emerging at theaters, but it was met with stiff resistance.

Theater owners aren't happy about this as they already replaced screens and projectors to accomodate for 3D movies.

Sony thinks that an "ownership model" is the way to go as a "revenue opportunity" for the theater owners.  This model exists in other countries.  Personally, if I have to buy glasses for the theater, I would by some of the higher end glasses that are becoming available.  That way you don't have to have the fear of bacteria that some worry about glasses not being washed properly.

However, I'm already paying a premium to watch the movie in 3D, shouldn't the glasses be covered?!  Now if the cost of a 3D movie was the same as a 2D movie, then I could see it.

What are your thoughts?