What's new

CLEOPATRA Region Free BRD (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Take this with a large grain of salt, but the North American forum at bluray .com is reporting a Jan. 30 2012 release of CLEOPATRA from a video retailer called HMV in Great Britian. I don't like rumors, but I find this interesting.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
77c8b719_24317082_300x300_1.jpeg

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Me too.
John, where did you get the cover art from? I couldn't find it on the HMV website.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That art is up at Play.com (with no release date), but it is on pre-order at TheHut group (Sendit, Zavvi, TheHut) at under £12 with the release date given as above.
EDIT; and Sainsburys...

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I had heard this was planned for release sometime during the next 6 mos. Nice to see my sources are pretty accurate

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
YES! My favourite movie EVER! I've been wanting this forever.
I am, however, a little baffled that they aren't releasing this before Christmas, especially with all the press Dame Elizabeth's auction is going to get in December. I'm making the trip just to see her possessions on display...they're taking over the entire Christie's showroom!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm seriously surprised at the lack of Dame Elizabeth on Blu-ray, as I'd have thought her passing might have prompted Warner, Paramount and Fox to bring out some of her biggies on Blu-ray ("Virginia Woolf", "Raintree County", "A Place in the Sun" and "Cleopatra" chief among them). All we really got was a TCM Greatest... release on DVD.
Do I hold my breath on this having the "lost footage"? Perhaps not... But I'll still be buying!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I agree, Byron. I'd also love to see National Velvet on Blu...it desperately needs to be restored.
I'm interested to see how Fox will present this on Blu...whether they will port over that excellent 2hr documentary that was dropped for the reissue. I'm hoping that they'll also allow us to view the deleted scenes that they've unearthed, like the original opening sequence of Cleopatra living in her camp in exile.
I bought the Ben-Hur set today and am hoping that it'll get similar deluxe treatment.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Found the listing for special features on Play.com:
Cleopatra Through The Ages: A Cultural History
Cleopatra's Missing Footage
Fox Movie Channel presents Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman
Commentary with Chris Mankiewicz, Tom Mankiewicz, Martin Landau and Jack Brodsky
The Cleopatra Papers: A Private Correspondence
Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood
The Fourth Star of Cleopatra
Archival Footage of the New York Premiere
Archival Footage of the Hollywood Premiere
Theatrical Trailers

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Screaming with excitement now. If any film was made for Blu-ray it was "Cleopatra".
So glad that the 2-hour Cleo doco is included. It's a fascinating piece and I've re-watched it often (the last time just after Taylor passed). D'ya think the missing footage will be re-instated into the film or offered as an extra (a la the Directors' Cut of "Darling Lili" on DVD)?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'd say just as an extra... I wonder if anything else has turned up since the last release?
Anyway...I can't wait!! Still wish this was coming before the holidays!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
The CLEOPATRA announcment is now in the news section of bluray.com. stating the UK release and saying that a US release date is coming soon.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thanks for the update, Lar!
I wonder if there's a chance that we'll get it in North America before Christmas? It would be wise for them to capitalize on all of the Elizabeth Taylor auction press, as well as the Christmas buying season.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just a note of interest- DOCTOR DOLITTLE comes out in bluray Oct 21 in Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks