-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CLEOPATRA Region Free BRD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#21 of 307 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 09:57 AM

I am so happy about this. I too wonder why and where the heck Raintree County has been. I had two VHS versions the last is the longer one. I wonder if this is the "Roadshow Edition". I cannot wait for that pre order on Amazon. Place in the Sun Elephant Walk there are so many. Thankyou so much for this bright weekend news!!

#22 of 307 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 30 2011 - 10:02 AM

I wonder why DOCTOR DOLITTLE isn't being released in North America, too?

It probably won't be too long before we see it in the UK and US as well.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#23 of 307 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 30 2011 - 10:04 AM

I am so happy about this. I too wonder why and where the heck Raintree County has been. I had two VHS versions the last is the longer one. I wonder if this is the "Roadshow Edition". I cannot wait for that pre order on Amazon. Place in the Sun Elephant Walk there are so many. Thankyou so much for this bright weekend news!!

"Raintree County" has long been on Warner's radar for a possible Blu release. If "Cleopatra" sells well, it might get Warners interested in releasing some of their own Elizabeth Taylor gems on Blu.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#24 of 307 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,192 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 10:07 AM

"Raintree County" is my number two most wanted film on Blu (after "Cleopatra"...so I guess now it's officially number one! lol). I've asked on the Archives Facebook page and they say that it's a possibility. Here's hoping! I love that film. I think the safe bets for Blu-ray release are "National Velvet," "A Place in the Sun," "Giant," "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof," "Suddenly, Last Summer," "BUtterfield 8," and possibly "The Taming of the Shrew". Of course, there could be surprises, but I think these are the ones we'll likely see.

#25 of 307 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 10:09 AM

It would be nice if they use the original (and quite beautiful) artwrok for "Cleopatra" but I guess that's not going to happen in 2012

"Doctor Dolittle" should look great on blu-ray if they use the 70MM version (which looked great in the theater a few years ago)

Not much is coming after Nov 15th.  It seems the home video year ends just before Thangsgiving and the next doesn't doesn't start until after New Years Day (after everyone has opened their blu-ray player present and heads to the store to but some blu-ray discs)

#26 of 307 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 679 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 10:25 AM

DOCTOR DOLITTLE is listed as 2.20:1 at the German Amazon site. Sounds like Todd-AO transfer.

#27 of 307 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 10:31 AM

I wonder if Suddenly Last Summer will go HD from Twilight since they now have the Sony Films. Elephant Walk would look great in HD and I am glad Raintree is coming out. I hated the deal on Quo Vadis because they put out the DVD and then the BD followed in 6 months. So I owned both.

#28 of 307 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 30 2011 - 11:06 AM

I don't mind owning both DVD and Blu-ray copies of the films I truly love. For instance I have dual editions of "The Red Shoes", "The Wizard of Oz", "How the West Was Won", "The Diary of Anne Frank", and a few of the Disneys. Soon I'll have the Blu of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to go with the DVD, and I plan in keeping my old 3-disc "Cleopatra" when I eventually buy that on Blu-ray too.:)

#29 of 307 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 11:07 AM

"Raintree County" is not coming any time soon. The film needs a lot of work, and I have not read anywhere that it is even being worked on.

The next Taylor film to come out will be "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" which is really her best performance. WB has included the title in many blu-ray postings over the last few years so it's just a matter of when (along with "A Streetcar Named Desire") my guess would be early next year

#30 of 307 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,358 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 11:23 AM

I don't mind owning both DVD and Blu-ray copies of the films I truly love. For instance I have dual editions of "The Red Shoes", "The Wizard of Oz", "How the West Was Won", "The Diary of Anne Frank", and a few of the Disneys. Soon I'll have the Blu of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to go with the DVD, and I plan in keeping my old 3-disc "Cleopatra" when I eventually buy that on Blu-ray too.:)

I've owned 5 "Wizard of Oz" releases, five of "Sleeping Beauty" and 4 each of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World." Can't resist those movies (and a few others) when they appear on home video. This will only be my third Cleo, however lol--

#31 of 307 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 11:35 AM

I think I have 9 different versions of "My Fair Lady" on video - and, of course, I'm getting the blu-ray

#32 of 307 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,192 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 01:09 PM

This is the response I got from the Warner Archives on Facebook when I inquired about RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu days after Dame Elizabeth's passing in March: "Long before Miss Taylor's passing, we indicated a possibility of RAINTREE heading to Blu....Right now it's still just a 'maybe', but we're hoping for a positive resolution on this highly sought-after" I encourage anyone who wants this title to 'like' their page and let them know we want this!

#33 of 307 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 30 2011 - 02:40 PM

When Warners indicated a few weeks back that there'd be around 50 catalogue titles coming to Blu in 2012, I wonder if perhaps "Raintree County" may be one of them...

#34 of 307 m.cellophane

m.cellophane

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by classicmovieguy 

When Warners indicated a few weeks back that there'd be around 50 catalogue titles coming to Blu in 2012, I wonder if perhaps "Raintree County" may be one of them...

That would be awesome.

#35 of 307 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,192 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 02:53 PM

Where did they say this? I sure hope so!:D

#36 of 307 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 30 2011 - 03:28 PM

I think I saw it on The Digital Bits...it was around 4 or 5 weeks ago.

#37 of 307 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,192 posts

Posted September 30 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks! Well let's keep our finger's crossed for "Raintree County'!

#38 of 307 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 30 2011 - 04:38 PM

Indeed!

#39 of 307 kenNew

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted October 01 2011 - 02:01 AM

And if you want my vote for Raintree County you have it.

#40 of 307 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,363 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 03 2011 - 01:26 AM

I've put a pre-order in at Amazon UK. £11.19 looks like a very reasonable price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users