What's new

Fright Night (1985) getting a 3000 copies only limited Bluray release!!! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just found out about this & what is there to say other than Sony must be seriously out of touch with the Bluray buying public. I understand that its only an entertaining cult 1980's horror movie (which I am sure many of us have fond memories of!) but limiting it to 3000 copies & selling via 1 website only is not going to prove anything or help the people who want to buy this title. Sony please get this title where it belongs on amazon/hmv etc etc & in the shops before xmas I guarantee you will sell a lot more than 3000 copies more like 30000+ if the price is right it only needs to be a no extras decent transfer Bluray with no DNR. I just hope someone somewhere @ Sony reconsiders as this is not the way to treat catalog titles giving them a limited release will encourage people to infringe copyright if they are unable to secure one of the 3000 & the obvious thing is your missing out on all the good people who like to browse in shops & I am sure the market for a title like this is way beyond 3000 copies if the price if reasonable! US alone would easily sell 3000 copies what about other markets/regions??? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357762 Pre-order will be up in Mid November apparently. http://www.screenarchives.com/

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Twilight Time has been fairly successful with this business plan with Fox (The Egyptian) and it's titles and Sony decided to go this route with them also, but only for Blu-ray releases.

It's interesting in that Sony is now in the MOD program with it's catalog DVD titles and in limited runs for the Blu-ray catalog titles. Although there is a rumor of an expanded DVD edition of Fright Night due when the remake hits the home market, just seems that they have given up on the market themselves. Thank goodness they have not just shut down.

If this stays successful, then I see more limited number produced in order to cut down on manufacturing and storage costs.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm glad Sony decided to release The Guns Of Naverone BD before all this licensing lark, as it would cost me three times more to buy it, but then I wouldn't!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I agree Billy - I think Sony will continue to release their bigger catalog titles , such as THE GUNS OF NAVERONE, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, FUNNY GIRL, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, and OLIVER on Blu-ray themselves. But Twilight might fill a void, with films such as BITE THE BULLET and MAJOR DUNDEE, knowing that they are going to release PICNIC and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND on Blu in the future.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Speaking of Sony and catalog titles for Blu-ray, they have some mighty big shoes to fill with LAWRENCE OF ARABIA after the Blu-ray releases of BEN-HUR and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
hey i am all for getting catalog titles out , but this one really baffles the hell out of me, Fright Night is a well enough known film that it could have gotten a general release from Sony, instead of going this route. I own the Egyptian, and am happy with it; but this seems to be really bare bones, come on Sony, hell they put out Night Of The Creeps, defiantly lesser known than Fright Night. i am not asking that they start rolling thru the back catalog as fast as MGM has lately, oh but that would be a dream if they did. at least gets some extras to Twilight Time, so these are worth what its going to cost, shipped, since that is the only way you will be able to get it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
What are the odds that the Sony DVD re-issue will contain the same 1998 transfer?. And no extras? What about the cast reunion that took place a couple of years ago?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ahollis said:
If this stays successful, then I see more limited number produced in order to cut down on manufacturing and storage costs.
Oh, there's more of the same coming from other quarters. No doubt about that.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dpippel

Thirty bucks plus shipping? No thanks.

I guess it depends on how bad you want the movie. If its not worth it to you I can understand, if it is, its great that you will finally be able to own it. As Allen mentioned this is one of the Sony titles that Twilight Time is releasing. They are an extremely small company that is working with Fox and Sony (so far) to release titles on DVD and Blu-ray that the studios for whatever reason don't think is worth their time to release. When you consider the licensing, authoring, replication, and other costs for a small batch of titles it's actually pretty reasonable. I'd much rather have the option of paying $30 for some titles I really want then never seeing them on DVD or Blu-ray which for now is the alternative. I was fortunate enough to meet two of the three people behind Twilight Time and it was obvious that more than anything it is a real labor of love for them. Hopefully we will start seeing them around the forum soon!

Here is the original thread where the Sony deal was discussed: [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/314367/twilight-time-joins-forces-with-sony-pictures-to-release-bd-editions-of-classic-columbia-titles]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/314367/twilight-time-joins-forces-with-sony-pictures-to-release-bd-editions-of-classic-columbia-titles

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Funny thing is some people have no problem paying this price for a DVD-R from Warner! It isn't even HD, and it is a DVD-R! So how is this any worse? I will pay $30 for a movie that i really want, as long as it is a Blu-ray disc i am buying.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'd be more inclined to fork over $30+ for a Blu-ray of Lawrence of Arabia (and where the f*** is this already?) than Fright Night which would need to be in the $10-$15 price range for me to pull the trigger.

I'm taking a pass and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

On the flip side I am probably going to pony up the big bucks for Mysterious Island which I'm way more fond of. Not happy about the price gouging though.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

While I certainly like Fright Night, it's a catalog title that IMO doesn't warrant a $30 price tag, the economics of Twilight Time aside. Sony should have done a "proper" Blu-ray release of this film to coincide with the theatrical run of the remake.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dpippel

While I certainly like Fright Night, it's a catalog title that IMO doesn't warrant a $30 price tag, the economics of Twilight Time aside. Sony should have done a "proper" Blu-ray release of this film to coincide with the theatrical run of the remake.

I have to admit I do not understand some of the decisions the studios make about what they feel they can release the "usual way" and what for whatever reason they feel they can't profitably release. Either way I'm glad that at least its going to be finally available.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sony makes very odd choices regarding Blu-Ray. I remember watching the 2009 film 'Bright Star' in the theater thinking I couldn't wait to own it on Blu Ray. What happens.....They cancel their plans for a Blu release in favor of S-DVD. SONY IS BLU-RAY! Every new film that comes out should be available in HD. Now to Fright Night. When I first heard about the remake, I was thrilled. Not for the remake mind you but I knew the original film would be revisited on Blu. Not like this though. I'll buy it, but dammit if this release looks anything less than stellar I'll be just a tad bit pissed off.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jim_K

I'd be more inclined to fork over $30+ for a Blu-ray of Lawrence of Arabia (and where the f*** is this already?) than Fright Night which would need to be in the $10-$15 price range for me to pull the trigger.

I'm taking a pass and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

On the flip side I am probably going to pony up the big bucks for Mysterious Island which I'm way more fond of. Not happy about the price gouging though.

Would I rather pay $14.99 for a Blu-ray than $30? Absolutely. Having said that, while I can do the math and understand that $30 is $15.01 more than my "ideal" target price, I also don't consider it gouging. Twilight Time has a completely different cost per unit with their releases than Sony or Fox. They pay more for licensing, authoring, replication, printing, etc. Its up to each of us to decide if that extra cost is justified on a title by title basis. I'm right there with you when it comes to owning Mysterious Island....count me in!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Would I rather pay $14.99 for a Blu-ray than $30? Absolutely. Having said that, while I can do the math and understand that $30 is $15.01 more than my "ideal" target price, I also don't consider it gouging. Twilight Time has a completely different cost per unit with their releases than Sony or Fox. They pay more for licensing, authoring, replication, printing, etc. Its up to each of us to decide if that extra cost is justified on a title by title basis. I'm right there with you when it comes to owning Mysterious Island....count me in!

Twilight Time isn't the only small boutique label out there so their prices should be somewhat comparable to the others, however............

they're not.

Part of the problem is that these will only be available through a single outlet.

Lack of competition is bad for consumers.

No chance of any type of discount/markdown here

Mysterious Island is going to cost me $35 + shipping. Far more than I've ever paid for any blu-ray of a single film

I know when I'm getting gouged.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jim_K said:
Twilight Time isn't the only small boutique label out there so their prices should be somewhat comparable to the others, however............

they're not.

Part of the problem is that these will only be available through a single outlet.

Lack of competition is bad for consumers.

No chance of any type of discount/markdown here

Mysterious Island is going to cost me $35 + shipping. Far more than I've ever paid for any blu-ray of a single film

I know when I'm getting gouged.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
How is the transfer of Mysterious Island? And, seriously Fright Night won't even be available through Amazon? I'm skipping this release. I am at my end for studios that don't care about their catalog titles. Thanks Sony for farming out Fright Night. Hope Twilight Time sells their 3,000 units.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Don't you guys think that if Night of the Creeps had sold well then Fright Night would be getting a normal release? Creeps has been marked down to $10 on Amazon for a few years and apparently it is still not moving that many copies. The market for that film was probably 2,500-3,000 consumers tops and then the rest of the world who won't buy it at any price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks