Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
3D Blu-ray Reviews

The Lion King 3D: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 of 132 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 28 2011 - 10:07 AM

#2 of 132 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 10:24 AM

The Lion King was re-issued in IMAX a few years ago, and included a new musical number--"Morning Report"--in the IMAX version. I see that "Morning Report" is offered as a stand-alone bonus feature on the Blu-ray. Does that mean that neither the 2D nor the 3D Blu-ray includes the option to watch the movie with that song re-incorporated into it? (I know that the recent theatrical re-release does NOT include "Morning Report.") What about the included DVD? As far as I know, there was only ever one DVD release of The Lion King, and it included both versions. Has it just been re-purposed here?

#3 of 132 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,556 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 12:29 PM

The Lion King was re-issued in IMAX a few years ago, and included a new musical number--"Morning Report"--in the IMAX version. I see that "Morning Report" is offered as a stand-alone bonus feature on the Blu-ray. Does that mean that neither the 2D nor the 3D Blu-ray includes the option to watch the movie with that song re-incorporated into it? (I know that the recent theatrical re-release does NOT include "Morning Report.") What about the included DVD? As far as I know, there was only ever one DVD release of The Lion King, and it included both versions. Has it just been re-purposed here?

Actually, I don't think "Morning Report" was included in the IMAX theatrical version; it was only in the "Special Edition" on the DVD. Although I'm all for having all the alternate released versions of a film available, this song was even more pointless than "Human Again" in Beauty in the Beast, so I'm not too disappointed that it's been relegated to the extras. Thanks for the review, Matt!
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#4 of 132 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,916 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Matt. My wife and I caught this in 3D the Monday after it opened and thoroughly enjoyed it. Still a terrific film and I was impressed with the 3D conversion.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#5 of 132 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 02:06 PM

Is there anything significant missing from the 2003 DVD release in terms of extras?

#6 of 132 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 28 2011 - 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brisby 

Is there anything significant missing from the 2003 DVD release in terms of extras?

Since I couldn't get the "Virtual Vault" to open, I can't answer that question. I assume some of those games from the last DVD edition are in there (the liner notes on the case state the vintage DVD features are there), but I can't be sure.

I'll try to open it using the PS3 tomorrow. Maybe it'll have better success than the Panasonic 310 I was using this afternoon;.

#7 of 132 OFFLINE   ChildEducation

ChildEducation

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 09:19 PM

Child Education Tips

Childeducationtips.com is # 1 source for child education and early educations tips.

#8 of 132 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 01:27 AM

Actually, I don't think "Morning Report" was included in the IMAX theatrical version; it was only in the "Special Edition" on the DVD. Although I'm all for having all the alternate released versions of a film available, this song was even more pointless than "Human Again" in Beauty in the Beast, so I'm not too disappointed that it's been relegated to the extras. Thanks for the review, Matt!

I never saw the IMAX release, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but Wikipedia says of "Morning Report" that "it was later added, with an accompanying animated sequence, to the 2002 IMAX rerelease." I'm still curious to know how this was handled for Blu-ray. It sounds like it was included only as an extra and not re-incorporated back into the film. Probably the most disappointing aspect of this change is that the Blu-ray apparently STILL includes the alternate crocodile and waterfall animation (and, less importantly, the new opening Disney logo) that was created for the IMAX version. I'd like to have seen those reverted to their original versions, as well.

#9 of 132 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 29 2011 - 03:05 AM

"Morning Report" is not a part of the either the 3D or 2D versions of the film in this set.

#10 of 132 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 03:56 AM

Thank you. If there's only one version of the film included, I'm glad it's the original (well, minus the aforementioned animation changes, which are unfortunate but not a dealbreaker).

#11 of 132 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 29 2011 - 02:23 PM

I was able to access the Disney Virtual Vault on the Blu-ray disc tonight using a PS3. I have amended the review above to reflect these findings.

#12 of 132 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 04:19 PM

More BD-Live bullshit means I have to hold onto the old DVD instead of being able to sell it off. :f

#13 of 132 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 29 2011 - 11:02 PM

I feel your pain and empathize. I had hoped Disney learned its lesson after the outcry over this when Fantasia came out on Blu-ray. This is exactly the same situation. It's obvious that they just didn't want to include a second Blu-ray with the vintage bonus features on it, but I think it's a mistake, particularly since this is a "Diamond Edition" and likely the last time we'll see the film on a disc-based format..

#14 of 132 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 02 2011 - 05:29 AM

We have three copies if the two disc BD/DVD Diamond Edition to give away.  To make sure that everyone can take advantage of Week one pricing in case they don't win the contest will end Friday October 7th at midnight PT.  Usual exclusions apply: must be alive, over 18, and in the US or Canada to win.  To enter just post in this thread. Winners will be drawn at random.

#15 of 132 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,430 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 02 2011 - 05:39 AM

To enter just post in this thread.
You mean, like this?

#16 of 132 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,061 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the review. I saw this for the first time during its recent 3D release and really enjoyed. I'll be picking up the disc during the holiday season.

#17 of 132 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,422 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 02 2011 - 06:03 AM

and a retooling of a plot that Shakespeare found useful for Hamlet, The Lion King is a fine, fun film

You forgot Kimba the White Lion. :P
facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 132 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,725 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 06:05 AM

I have to say I'm disappointed that they're using the terrible "Virtual Vault" again. Having to wait for a video to download and then watching it in reduced resolution is a waste of time. Boo! Hiss!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#19 of 132 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,763 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 02 2011 - 06:08 AM

Can't say this is my favorite Disney animated film, but the studio always treats their properties with a white glove.

#20 of 132 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for the review... Looks like it is going to be a great release.
Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users