What's new

X-Factor - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Seems like there should be a thread. A lot of you weirdos like these singing competitions. I've only seen a little of it, but it seems fresher with the on-stage auditions, and Simon and Paula > whoever's on Idol these days.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having seen the 2 audition episodes, not much value in the audition episodes for me, if I return, it'll be when it's in the competition phase of the show, but it just hasn't really grabbed my interest so far.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
It's sort of like a cross between American Idol and America's Got Talent. It's worth DVR'ing to skip past the crap. I got kick out of the guy who exposed himself. If it was that shocking and sickening, why did they show it? They could have just left it off the tape when it aired.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
My wife watches it. It's better than Idol by far and there is a good range of talent here. I'm curious to see what the competition is like. Auditions are pretty much predictable.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mark_B said:
It's sort of like a cross between American Idol and America's Got Talent. It's worth DVR'ing to skip past the crap. I got kick out of the guy who exposed himself. If it was that shocking and sickening, why did they show it? They could have just left it off the tape when it aired.
That was lame. The guy was wearing something--you could see it in some shots--and there's no way someone would be physically sick just because some gross guy is dancing in a thong. Don't manufacture drama, just put on a show. Then again, this being Paula, maybe she really could be set off that easily.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Idol, but I certainly appreciate the diversity allowed.

Watching Simon listening to Young Homey (what ya trippin' on), and actually riding it... that's something you'd never have seen on American Idol. The artist (Chris Rene) needs some technical work on things like breath control, but it was good. Also, it might have been my ears, but that falsetto was terrible.

Stacy Francis doing Natural Woman was OK, but not an "I want to go see her show" type performance. She's not going to win.

Likewise, Marcus Johnson was fun doing "I Wish" (since I like the song), but he's not winning either. Not even close. And why was he doing a song that was out before he was born?

But all of that is just placeholder for Melanie Amaro. The girl blew me away, but I was curious to see what people who don't enjoy "that type of music" would have to say. To me, she did "Listen" even better than Charice (Sunshine Carazon) on Glee. First saved performance of the season for me. Still, it was basically a copycat performance, and the real test is when a singer is given a song and has to make it into something without a previous template.

I do wonder why we haven't seen any singer/songwriters like Kris Allen, or even rockers like David Cook. Speaking of which, does this show eventually have a live band? So far it looks like the auditions are to taped music. Simon always liked to use the term Karaoke, but this is as Karaoke as it gets, with all but the bouncing ball and highlighted words. Hopefully that gets better when we get past the auditions.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Watching Simon listening to Young Homey (what ya trippin' on), and actually riding it... that's something you'd never have seen on American Idol. The artist (Chris Rene) needs some technical work on things like breath control, but it was good. Also, it might have been my ears, but that falsetto was terrible. Stacy Francis doing Natural Woman was OK, but not an "I want to go see her show" type performance. She's not going to win.
That's what is great about diversity, I totally disagree with most everything you say here. I REALLY don't like any form of rap music at all. But I do understand talent and while he may have wrote the song himself, you can tell by looking at the guy he won't make it. Anyone that has worked in public service has seen these types of people by the drove. Sure, I feel sorry for them too, up to a point, but I don't see this as a lasting thing. He is just 70 days from being a major addict and you can tell by his lifestyle and the look from his eyes he has some serious issues that he is not past. I do not see him lasting long at all, but do wish him the best personally. Stacy Francis I thought was GREAT and one to keep an eye on. Her talent and personal story really stirred the crowd and she has that quality to really shine I think with the right material. I think we will see a lot more from her. The show is OK for me so far, but not that much different from Idol except for a few exceptions. Hopefully it will pick up and we will see more of the things that separate them.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Jeffery_H said:
Watching Simon listening to Young Homey (what ya trippin' on), and actually riding it... that's something you'd never have seen on American Idol. The artist (Chris Rene) needs some technical work on things like breath control, but it was good. Also, it might have been my ears, but that falsetto was terrible. Stacy Francis doing Natural Woman was OK, but not an "I want to go see her show" type performance. She's not going to win.
That's what is great about diversity, I totally disagree with most everything you say here. I REALLY don't like any form of rap music at all. But I do understand talent and while he may have wrote the song himself, you can tell by looking at the guy he won't make it. Anyone that has worked in public service (law enforcement, social work, etc.) has seen these types of people by the drove. Sure, I feel sorry for them too, up to a point, but I don't see this as a lasting thing. He is just 70 days from being a major addict and you can tell by his lifestyle and the look from his eyes he has some serious issues that he is not past. I do not see him lasting long at all, but do wish him the best personally. Stacy Francis I thought was GREAT and one to keep an eye on. Her talent and personal story really stirred the crowd and she has that quality to really shine I think with the right material. I think we will see a lot more from her. The show is OK for me so far, but not that much different from Idol except for a few exceptions. Hopefully it will pick up and we will see more of the things that separate them.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I quit Idol several years ago. This was refreshing. I fast forwarded through most of it, of course. Was blown away by some of the talent. I'll also be interested to see how the actual competition goes. If they pigeon hole them in certain styles of music each week, like AI, then I'm out.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Mikah Cerucco said:
I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Idol, but I certainly appreciate the diversity allowed.

Watching Simon listening to Young Homey (what ya trippin' on), and actually riding it... that's something you'd never have seen on American Idol. The artist (Chris Rene) needs some technical work on things like breath control, but it was good. Also, it might have been my ears, but that falsetto was terrible.

Stacy Francis doing Natural Woman was OK, but not an "I want to go see her show" type performance. She's not going to win.

Likewise, Marcus Johnson was fun doing "I Wish" (since I like the song), but he's not winning either. Not even close. And why was he doing a song that was out before he was born?

But all of that is just placeholder for Melanie Amaro. The girl blew me away, but I was curious to see what people who don't enjoy "that type of music" would have to say. To me, she did "Listen" even better than Charice (Sunshine Carazon) on Glee. First saved performance of the season for me. Still, it was basically a copycat performance, and the real test is when a singer is given a song and has to make it into something without a previous template.

I do wonder why we haven't seen any singer/songwriters like Kris Allen, or even rockers like David Cook. Speaking of which, does this show eventually have a live band? So far it looks like the auditions are to taped music. Simon always liked to use the term Karaoke, but this is as Karaoke as it gets, with all but the bouncing ball and highlighted words. Hopefully that gets better when we get past the auditions.
I figure live music auditions are unrealistic due to the 'cattle call' nature of them. Hoping we see live musical perfs in the competition.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H

That's what is great about diversity, I totally disagree with most everything you say here. I REALLY don't like any form of rap music at all. But I do understand talent and while he may have wrote the song himself, you can tell by looking at the guy he won't make it. Anyone that has worked in public service has seen these types of people by the drove. Sure, I feel sorry for them too, up to a point, but I don't see this as a lasting thing. He is just 70 days from being a major addict and you can tell by his lifestyle and the look from his eyes he has some serious issues that he is not past. I do not see him lasting long at all, but do wish him the best personally.

Stacy Francis I thought was GREAT and one to keep an eye on. Her talent and personal story really stirred the crowd and she has that quality to really shine I think with the right material. I think we will see a lot more from her.

The show is OK for me so far, but not that much different from Idol except for a few exceptions. Hopefully it will pick up and we will see more of the things that separate them.

Chris Rene wasn't exactly rap. It'd be closer to what I've heard referred to as sing-songy rap. Just calling it hip-hop is more accurate. My comment wasn't about whether anyone here would like it. I've seen enough threads here over the years to know how that shakes out. My comment was about Simon as a judge actually listening to (and apparently appreciating) this type of music. As I said, you'd never see that on American Idol. I'm not picking Chris Rene to win, and I'm pretty sure my comments didn't suggest such, but I did like his performance.

Glad you liked Stacy Francis. Mostly I want these shows to give people what they enjoy and that's always going to be quite diverse. What bores me is the same old homogenized pap show after show, week after week. That's why I actually really enjoyed the last season of AI -- a LOT of variety. As it relates to Stacy, I'm normally pro-contestant not anti-contestant (I'd rather talk about the people I like than the people I don't), but I could sit and type for awhile about what I didn't like about her performance. I'm not talking about story or anything else... just performance. For instance, "making a song your own" by holding notes, then rushing to catch up, is irritating to me. Also, her range is limited, so when she sang , "You make me feel so alive" she did what she should have done and sang "live" one note higher instead of 5. Anyway, time will tell, but I don't expect to hear much from her after the show. Crystal Bowersox performed the song much better.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
To me, American Idol is contrived. Survivor is contrived. There's artifice involved, but they have a notion of where the edge of believability is. Due to Simon Cowell's apparent belief that the American viewing public are a bunch of stupid idiots, X-Factor is pumped to the gills with total bullshit that hurtles towards that edge and then smashes the shit out of it. The fact that they did post processing on the singers like no one would notice is just part and parcel with the attitude the producers have towards the audience, an attitude that borders on contempt.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson

To me, American Idol is contrived. Survivor is contrived. There's artifice involved, but they have a notion of where the edge of believability is. Due to Simon Cowell's apparent belief that the American viewing public are a bunch of stupid idiots, X-Factor is pumped to the gills with total bullshit that hurtles towards that edge and then smashes the shit out of it. The fact that they did post processing on the singers like no one would notice is just part and parcel with the attitude the producers have towards the audience, an attitude that borders on contempt.

Does that mean you didn't like it?

My biggest problem with the few episodes I did watch: the screaming/standing ovations for EVERY DAMN SINGER that hit (or tried to hit) a "glory note."

THEY WEREN'T THAT GOOD!!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kudos for them to keep some eye candy around by lumping the girls into a girl group. Far too calculated a move by the producers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the appeal of Drew. Blah. Hope Lakota Rayne sticks around, though. Overall, the remaining talent is so scatter-shot and uninteresting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks