-

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Archive Television releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#61 of 71 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted November 11 2011 - 10:22 AM

I know in one case a music issue with MAVERICK may be an episode that is based on a song that was popular at the time. In and out of commercial breaks they played the next segment of the song that set up the part of the episode. But after 50 yrs???? Really???

#62 of 71 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,660 posts

Posted November 11 2011 - 04:43 PM

More good news about Cheyenne

We had to clear the music for season 3, and that took a great deal of time. Now all 7 seasons are clear for WAC to bring your way, so the wait between seasons will not be nearly as long.

#63 of 71 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,981 posts

Posted November 12 2011 - 08:11 PM

If they are having issues clearing the shows with music issues for incidentals and such - What's going on with Detective shows that had music performances in every episode! There's the sound recordings and the publishing side. I think we're going to be in for a long wait on the Detective shows. At least the Westerns are being addressed.

#64 of 71 ONLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,244 posts

Posted November 12 2011 - 10:07 PM

I know in one case a music issue with MAVERICK may be an episode that is based on a song that was popular at the time. In and out of commercial breaks they played the next segment of the song that set up the part of the episode. But after 50 yrs???? Really???

I read somewhere when the first Copyright Law was passed in the US the Copyright lasted 16 years and that was IT. The Book or Music protected under this Law became "Public Domain" after those 16 years had expired. The Law has since been amanded over the years. For a Movie or TV Show I believe the Copyright can be renewed until something like 70 YEARS after the last person mentioned on the Credits has passed away. This means we'll all be dust in the wind by the time shows like the 1966 Batman become Public Domain! IMO I think this law needs to be OVERHAULED. Many Shows and Movies are locked away, never to be seen again, because the Rights Owners simply refuse to release them or even let them be shown. I'd like to see the Law AMENDED so that it lasts 25 years and that's it! What do you think?

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,372 :biggrin: ( 755 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,413  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#65 of 71 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted November 13 2011 - 04:22 AM

Tell me about it. BTW, a certain Disney film just turned 65 yesterday (it was yesterday, 65 years ago, it had its world premiere at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, Georgia). Disney had no problem officially releasing it in Europe, and even in Japan where it was on laserdisc, but for over 30 long years, they've been way too stingy about putting it out on home video here in the United States themselves. And the copyright expiration date can't come soon enough.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#66 of 71 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,014 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 13 2011 - 04:30 AM

What do you think?

I think when all the far bigger and more important problems facing the world are fixed, Congress look into changing copyright laws so people can get the TV shows they want. Until the bigger problems are fixed, copyright laws can take a backseat to those larger issues.

#67 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted November 13 2011 - 11:39 AM

I read somewhere when the first Copyright Law was passed in the US the Copyright lasted 16 years and that was IT. The Book or Music protected under this Law became "Public Domain" after those 16 years had expired. The Law has since been amanded over the years. For a Movie or TV Show I believe the Copyright can be renewed until something like 70 YEARS after the last person mentioned on the Credits has passed away. This means we'll all be dust in the wind by the time shows like the 1966 Batman become Public Domain! IMO I think this law needs to be OVERHAULED. Many Shows and Movies are locked away, never to be seen again, because the Rights Owners simply refuse to release them or even let them be shown. I'd like to see the Law AMENDED so that it lasts 25 years and that's it! What do you think?

What good is it going to do if something is locked away in the studio vault? Do you think that once the copyright expires the studios are going to say, c'mon in and help yourself to the prints? If a show hasn't been aired in decades and if no prints have filtered out to collectors, where on earth do you think anyone would get the elements from to do something with. As for the laws being amended, it was originally 28 years with a renewal for 28 but thanks to Disney pushing the courts its now been expanded to what we have today. And don't think that when Mickey Mouse gets close again there won't be another extension tacked on.

#68 of 71 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 02:59 AM

More good news about Cheyenne

We had to clear the music for season 3, and that took a great deal of time. Now all 7 seasons are clear for WAC to bring your way, so the wait between seasons will not be nearly as long.

There were 8 seasons of Cheyenne with two already released so hopefully they meant the remaining 6 seasons. Which is good news this is quickly becoming one of my favorite westerns. I just got season 2 a couple weeks ago and I'm through 6 episodes already which is fat for me. I had never seen this show before the DVD release. So I'll be there for all the seasons. The quality is very good on these episodes too. They have a Warner Brothers 50's movie look to them.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#69 of 71 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,104 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 10:04 AM

Suggesting the following TV series for release on the Warner Archive:

The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd

Hawkins (starring James Stewart).

#70 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted April 21 2012 - 06:51 PM

If they are having issues clearing the shows with music issues for incidentals and such - What's going on with Detective shows that had music performances in every episode! There's the sound recordings and the publishing side. I think we're going to be in for a long wait on the Detective shows. At least the Westerns are being addressed.

Darn, I wish ClassicTVFan91 were running things over there. Then we could get them all out with every song intact, every peripheral appearance related to the shows included, all of the talk show appearances, even the ones on Paar and Carson which don't exist anymore. I don't know why I didn't think of suggesting it before! :rolleyes:

#71 of 71 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 22 2012 - 01:45 AM

Hey, another Neil response I won't see due to the blocker. One has to wonder...is this is one of the insightful posts with snipets about the industry many of us don't have knowledge of? Or the "mocking" Neil that prefers to make snide remarks regarding comments made by other posters on the forum. I have to believe the "blocking" feature is shielding me from his posts that contain useless and irrelevant information.