Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Archive Television releases

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 of 71 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 10:08 AM

Sony has the master 35mm elements of complete series safe and sound in their vaults - nothing to see here,move along :)

True. It might be nice if they did something with it. Other than the airings on USA network back in the early 80s, the show hasn't been seen.

#42 of 71 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 26 2011 - 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

True. It might be nice if they did something with it. Other than the airings on USA network back in the early 80s, the show hasn't been seen.

Too bad Sony doesn't see the value in it like Monte apparently does.

#43 of 71 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 11:11 AM

Sony has the master 35mm elements of complete series safe and sound in their vaults - nothing to see here,move along :)

Joe, this reminds me of the time I met Monte Markham. He was very nice and friendly and  I asked about his series THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS. He told me he had all mint prints of the entire series in his basement.When I told him that I was sure the then named MUSEUM OF TELEVISION AND RADIO in Beverly Hills would love to have those in their collection, he responded, "Well of course they would! But I'm not giving them away!" I told him that the museum was a non-profit facility and maintained an archive of vintage television and radio, which they would copy and then offer to museum patrons and scholars.  His only response was to ask me if I could find prints of two TV movies he was in! Like I said, he was a nice guy, but he thought he had gold in his basement. Maybe we should all have that confidence about work we've done?

Did you ask him if he had a complete set of "The New Perry Mason" series as well and how much that would go for? I won't tell you what kind of gold I think it's worth.

#44 of 71 vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 11:13 AM

I think Fox has the complete set of TNPM in their vaults, if I'm not mistaken.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#45 of 71 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 26 2011 - 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth 

Did you ask him if he had a complete set of "The New Perry Mason" series as well and how much that would go for? I won't tell you what kind of gold I think it's worth.

LOL. You have to wonder, but not for too long, haha. The two TV movies he wanted to add to his collection and he asked me to locate were THE ASTRONAUT and the remake of DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY. I turned up nothing except VHS copies, which I assumed he already had. I still wish he would lend the PALEY CENTER his copies of SECOND HUNDRED YEARS so at least some people could see the show. It's highly doubtful SONY would ever allow the museum access to anything they had, much less donate anything to them.

I've seen the USA run of almost the entire series of SECOND HUNDRED YEARS and it's pretty enjoyable, but a lot of opportunities consistently missed in the scripts. I've also seen about six episodes of THE NEW PERRY MASON and while it has an extraordinary cast, it's a real misfire. Starting from scratch with that cast they could have jettisoned the Perry Mason reference and just created a new lawyer series.

#46 of 71 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 12:07 PM

I have a set of them sitting in my DVD cabinet. What kind of gold is it worth?

#47 of 71 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 12:28 PM

Fools gold perhaps? :)

#48 of 71 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Professor Echo 

I've seen the USA run of almost the entire series of SECOND HUNDRED YEARS and it's pretty enjoyable, but a lot of opportunities consistently missed in the scripts. I've also seen about six episodes of THE NEW PERRY MASON and while it has an extraordinary cast, it's a real misfire. Starting from scratch with that cast they could have jettisoned the Perry Mason reference and just created a new lawyer series.

That's a pretty accurate assessment from my view also, Professor.  I've got all of the extant episodes in my collection and thought the show was better than its reputation, but it just feel "Perry Mason like".  They would have been much better renaming the characters and coming up with something new.  I've always thought it was ironic that this series tried to update the PM character to make it more modern and hip, but watching them today the episodes seem really dated.  However the Burr series is timeless.   These episodes are worth watching once though as the cast, including the guest actors, is really strong and Markham is a likable actor.  The worst part for me was the opening theme; it was awful to my ears.

One also sees Richard Anderson pop up in an episode.  That minor triva is notable only because that makes him the only performer to be a part of all 3  incarnations of Mason (Burr, Markham, Burr part deux)

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#49 of 71 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 12:37 AM

LOL. You have to wonder, but not for too long, haha. The two TV movies he wanted to add to his collection and he asked me to locate were THE ASTRONAUT and the remake of DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY. I turned up nothing except VHS copies, which I assumed he already had. I still wish he would lend the PALEY CENTER his copies of SECOND HUNDRED YEARS so at least some people could see the show. It's highly doubtful SONY would ever allow the museum access to anything they had, much less donate anything to them.

I have been collecting the original series with Raymond Burr on DVD as CBS/Paramount have been releasing them. They are classics. I am a big fan of the series. Monte Markham's version of Perry Mason, which I haven't seen since it first aired, is exactly what everyone else on the forum is saying: they should have called it something else. Erle Stanley Gardner had passed away when the original producers decided that they would try to strike gold twice by bringing Perry Mason back but with a less expensive cast, and CBS was foolish enough to go along with it. Markham is a very talented actor, but they should have named the show anything but Perry Mason. There were lawyer shows all over television at the time: Petrocelli, Owen Marshall, and others, and CBS wanted to capitalize on the genre. Fool's gold indeed.

#50 of 71 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted November 09 2011 - 04:40 AM

I recently looked through the Warner Archive Facebook page to see what might be coming down the pipe soon.  Looking back at two months worth of posts on their wall, I came across the following replies to questions about the following TV series:

Chico and the Man

This series is still in the mass-merchant retail arena, with the issue of music clearance to deal with. We'll report back if there's a change. Thanks.

Eight is Enough

Quote:

We hope so...eventually. There are still issues to iron out.

Falcon Crest

Quote:

The only reason for the delay on FALCON CREST is that we are hoping to remaster for Season 3 and beyond. Certainly worth waiting for, in our opinion. We hope you

The F.B.I. Season 2, Part 1

Quote:

It's in the works. The wait will not be too much longer...

Harry O

We are VERY close on HARRY O. We just have to clear music for a few episodes, and we are waiting for costs on that. Everything else is in place, so if the costs aren't prohibitive, it's likely that we'll be bringing you HARRY O next year...and the first pilot telefilm, too. This is a 'front burner' item. :)

Sugarfoot / Colt .45

Quote:

Very complex music issues exist on certain episodes of both series. Work is ongoing to address these problems.

Also, there were questions about Perfect Strangers and Mama's Family that Warner Archive did not reply to.

#51 of 71 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,894 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted November 09 2011 - 04:22 PM

wish somebody would ask them about Logan's Run (which was originally promised for this year).

#52 of 71 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted November 09 2011 - 06:40 PM

I'd love to know what the music issues could be on 50+ year old shows that take place in the 19th century. Certainly not any popular songs, at least not ones that aren't 150 years old. Not like Hawaiian Eye, which I'm sure would be a clearance nightmare.

#53 of 71 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,521 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

I'd love to know what the music issues could be on 50+ year old shows that take place in the 19th century. Certainly not any popular songs, at least not ones that aren't 150 years old.

Tell me about it.  I'm scratching my head on that one too.

Gary "you don't think of 50's westerns as ever having music clearance issues - it just doesn't make much sense" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#54 of 71 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 03:52 AM

The only thing I can think of is did Warner recycle songs from their movie catalog as underscore that require further study of the music rights today? They said elsewhere on Facebook that they only recently got music issues settled to release Cheyenne S3 in the more near future (but probably early 2012)

#55 of 71 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,477 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 05:42 AM

I'd love to know what the music issues could be on 50+ year old shows that take place in the 19th century. Certainly not any popular songs, at least not ones that aren't 150 years old. Not like Hawaiian Eye, which I'm sure would be a clearance nightmare.

Could it be the music cues issues, much like The Fugitive with the Pete Rugolo cues?
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#56 of 71 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 07:21 AM

Could it be the music cues issues, much like The Fugitive with the Pete Rugolo cues?

It wasn't the Rugolo cues, it was the Capitol Music Library cues.

#57 of 71 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,265 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 09:50 AM

The only thing I can think of is did Warner recycle songs from their movie catalog as underscore that require further study of the music rights today? They said elsewhere on Facebook that they only recently got music issues settled to release Cheyenne S3 in the more near future (but probably early 2012)

I saw the post on Cheyenne as well which is good news for that show and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Many of these 50-60's TV shows used instumental themes that were from earlier movies either instrumental or with lyrics and these probably need to be reviewed episode by episode to see if anything needs to be cleared. That would definately live up to " very complicated music issues"
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#58 of 71 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,265 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 09:51 AM

It wasn't the Rugolo cues, it was the Capitol Music Library cues.

which also happened with My Three Sons
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#59 of 71 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 10 2011 - 10:03 AM

I hear Max Steiner cues from vintage WB films in MAVERICK all the time.

#60 of 71 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 10:23 AM

Positive sounding answers/replies about The F.B.I. and Harry O. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users