-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Archive Television releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,066 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 04:26 AM

I wish they would speed it up. They have so much in their vault and they move at a snail's pace. I mean, look at how many shows they have that they can put out. The glut of shows that Warner did 1955-1966, all of the MGM series, the Lorimar library. So many shows and it just takes them forever to get something out. 9 seasons of FBI, 18 releases, I don't think I'll live that long to see them all. Most curious is Maverick, which is one of the most popular properties they own and which they've done virtually nothing with. Most of us don't care as we've been able to get them off Encore, but still.

#2 of 71 vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 05:21 AM

Hey, at least they're not as bad as Fox. Fox loves LITERALLY disowning their entire back catalog! I don't' see them ever starting their own MOD program for their back catalog in a million years!
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#3 of 71 mariotolico

mariotolico

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 06:02 AM

U're right mate, fox lost the touch ...

#4 of 71 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,549 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 06:25 AM

I completely agree, Danny.  Until the WA program can get a little more speed going with their TV selections, I'm not going to get on board, much less sing their praises.  Right now there is no rhyme or reason to the few releases that do come out, and there's no way of knowing how long one will have to wait in between releases.  It's just too inconsistent right now.  And as a second gripe, I'd still personally like to see them do better on pricing.  I know not everyone sees that as a big issue, so I won't harp on it.  But between the slow release schedule, and the pricing, I just can't get excited about this program.

Gary "where the heck is the Ron Ely Tarzan series that was mentioned as coming so long ago?" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#5 of 71 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 08:23 AM

In their defense, the Warner Archive program started just over two years ago. Nobody at WB was sure how people would respond to it and now that it has taken off so strongly, they are trying to get out what they can. Originally, none of the releases were going to be remastered, but they have also changed that policy. It does seem like things are at a snail's pace, but it will start to speed up eventually. A year ago, they tested the waters with Hanna-Barbera releases and now they are cranking out material every month. Also, I encourage everyone to "Like" Warner Archive on their Facebook page. People can post their requests and, believe it or not, they will answer back. They have responded to all of my posts. Through their Facebook page I have learned that the film elements for "Ruff and Reddy" need a lot of work; the same thing with "New Adventures of Gilligan" and "Gilligan's Planet." They are working on releasing the remaining Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear and Quick Draw McGraw cartoons. They have also mentioned that one of the later Yogi Bear shows will be coming out soon. Oh, back in March, they assured me that "The Good, The Bad and Huckleberry Hound" would come out some time this year and it finally did in August. These all came from inquiries on their Facebook page.

#6 of 71 westumulka

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 08:38 AM

To be honest, I would much prefer that Warners would licence out shows like Maverick, Lawman,77 Sunset Strip and other classic WB series to someone like Shout where they would be on proper pressed discs. However, I realize that's extremely unlikely - perhaps these shows could be licenced out to other countries so that labels like Fabulous Films or Revelation (in the UK) or Madman (in Australia) can release these.

#7 of 71 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,973 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 09:23 AM

Frankly, I'm glad none of these Warner titles would end up with a label like Shout. All that would get you is an imprecise guarantee a title would be carried to completion. At this point I trust Warner more to complete a title they start in the Archive program than I would ever trust Shout to finish a title they start even though I still need to see a specific case of how far apart season releases are for a title like "The FBI". That said, their releasing that and "Girl From UNCLE" earns them my #1 pick for best studio this year in terms of what they brought to DVD for the first time.

#8 of 71 vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 10:13 AM

There's a reason for that. With Warner Archive, there's no worry for how many sales needed in order to continue. Because Warner is a large corporation. But because Shout is a smaller label, that can't afford their Shout Select program to be like Warner's Archives program.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#9 of 71 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,227 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 11:13 AM

That's right, and I think the main reason why it's such a good program, when a title is cleared available it becomes. Or can become anyway, depending on state of material and with less importance on sales. Once it's there, the old ways of relying on immediate consumer interest should mean less, and stock is not going to dry up and end it all. But I agree, hopefully things will speed up a bit in the future, I feel it only will. It's something more studios ought to get a move on with also, 100s of titles out there with no chance of ordinary DVD release.

#10 of 71 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,549 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnisanian2001 

There's a reason for that. With Warner Archive, there's no worry for how many sales needed in order to continue. Because Warner is a large corporation. But because Shout is a smaller label, that can't afford their Shout Select program to be like Warner's Archives program.

Bingo!  It's simply comparing apples to oranges in this instance on two levels.  First and foremost is the larger/smaller point raised above.  Second is that the archive collection is a burn onto dvd-r on demand program, which means they have nothing to potentially lose like Shout does when it creates pressed dvds (whether for retail release or even their "Select" program).  You just can't honestly compare the two companies because of these issues.

Gary "at the end of the day the people loving on any studio (including the WA program) do so because some show they love has been released by said studio - that's the bottom line, even in this thread" O.

#11 of 71 bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 03:39 PM

I continue to wait for several WB westerns to be released. I am curious to what the delay is since some series (like MAVERICK) are aired uncut on the Encore Western channel.

#12 of 71 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,973 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 05:20 PM

On "Maverick" I wonder if the delay is the fact that Warner remains undecided whether to do it as an Archive or retail title. I remember a while back that when there was a Warner chat, the rep implied Maverick was in their horizon, and from what I understand the retail and Archive units act as two separate divisions in terms of deciding what to release (and if the retail people are thinking of something that gives them a "first dibs" on the title before the Archive people could do it).

#13 of 71 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,938 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 05:27 PM

They do seem to be dragging their feet with the B&W Shows, Both from the Warner and the Original MGM Television Libraries. Perhaps they see no rush to release them, when they have scores of films,not to mention animation and color tv series.

#14 of 71 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,066 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 06:29 PM

The problem is that as time goes by, the market for many items decreases rather than increases. I would have certainly picked up any of the early HB cartoons from the 60s had they come out a few years ago. Since then, I was able to get all of the ones I wanted from Boomerang. They aren't the "as aired" shows but then again Warner doesn't have them in show form anyway since they tossed out all of the 16mm film prints of the complete episodes. As for other series, I filled in my Cheyenne, Maverick and Lawman collection from Encore so I wouldn't purchase those shows either. Not to mention how many people die off every day or just get too old to be interested in buying these shows. I sincerely doubt there's much of a market for 50 year old black and white shows amongst the tattooed, backwards wearing baseball cap crowd.

#15 of 71 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,355 posts

Posted September 23 2011 - 06:38 PM

The problem is that as time goes by, the market for many items decreases rather than increases. I would have certainly picked up any of the early HB cartoons from the 60s had they come out a few years ago. Since then, I was able to get all of the ones I wanted from Boomerang. They aren't the "as aired" shows but then again Warner doesn't have them in show form anyway since they tossed out all of the 16mm film prints of the complete episodes. As for other series, I filled in my Cheyenne, Maverick and Lawman collection from Encore so I wouldn't purchase those shows either. Not to mention how many people die off every day or just get too old to be interested in buying these shows. I sincerely doubt there's much of a market for 50 year old black and white shows amongst the tattooed, backwards wearing baseball cap crowd.

Um, you're showing your age, here. Tattoos are slowly going out of fashion amongst American youth, while the baseball caps are now worn slightly tilted to one side. Just sayin' !

#16 of 71 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,549 posts

Posted September 24 2011 - 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

I've done the same things you have with the HB cartoons off Boomerang and many of the Encore Westerns (either recording them myself or getting them from friends who've done it).  Either way, I'm not double-dipping in those instances via Warner Archives.  And the point about the market decreasing as each day passes is simply an absolute, indisputable fact.  It's very sad, but there's no denying it's also very true.  So as the studios delay getting this material out, I think they only hurt themselves because the potential buying pool shrinks with each passing day.  This is why I wish Warners would get the lead out and start moving quicker with their TV material.  How long has it been since the Warners Archive Facebook page talked about the Ron Ely Tarzan series coming soon?  It's been a long, long time since we first heard that news.

Gary "I'm still wondering whether or not Warners simply doesn't think their b/w stuff is marketable and are therefore moving up to their color material" O.

#17 of 71 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,938 posts

Posted September 24 2011 - 06:48 AM

How long has it been since the Warners Archive Facebook page talked about the Ron Ely Tarzan series coming soon?  It's been a long, long time since we first heard that news. 

O.

You'd think TARZAN would be a priority for them - given the popularity of the character - they could do 4 1/2 season collections.

#18 of 71 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 24 2011 - 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary OS 

Quote:

.Gary "at the end of the day the people loving on any studio (including the WA program) do so because some show they love has been released by said studio - that's the bottom line, even in this thread" O.

Truer words were never spoken, Gary. People get their holy grail movie or show and suddenly for them a studio reaches a can do no wrong god-like status. It never fails and it cracks me up everytime I see it.

#19 of 71 vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 24 2011 - 09:27 AM

I'm shocked no one has considered the Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate as a possible reason for the hold-up.

#20 of 71 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,973 posts

Posted September 24 2011 - 09:42 AM

When Warner Archive mentioned "Tarzan" as a definite release, I recall them saying the end of the year at the earliest. Given how announcements don't come out until the show is about to be released, I think it's still possible we could see it before the year is over or early next year. That would certainly be good for me since it's #3 on my depth chart of Warner shows I want after the two that have been released.