TV Reviews

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 of 38 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 04:06 PM

The price may be a bit hefty, so is It Takes A Thief by the way, but I shall be buying them both one way or the other eventually. Soon, I hope. Already loving The Untouchables, feel confident I'll become a fan of the McGavin show too.

Have you checked eBay? I picked up my set before streetdate for under $30 (shipped).

#22 of 38 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 12:19 PM

This series is now on sale for $40.49 at Barnes and Noble online.  With coupon codes that are readily available, this set can be had for around $35.  An incredible deal if anyone is so inclined.

Gary "I knew this set would come down substantially, but even I didn't think it would drop that low that fast" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#23 of 38 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 04 2011 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  Even better (am I reading it right?), looks like a 20% off coupon is in effect starting Oct. 6th, bringing it down to $32.

#24 of 38 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Thanks for the heads up.  Even better (am I reading it right?), looks like a 20% off coupon is in effect starting Oct. 6th, bringing it down to $32.

Right.  That's the coupon I was thinking about, but I was adding tax to the total which would bring it to $34 and change in my neck of the woods.  Regardless of the to the penny price, it's a great deal.

Gary "I believe the 20% off coupon is a members only one, though" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#25 of 38 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 04 2011 - 01:48 PM

Sure is.

Signed,

A member who's remiss in not checking the coupons WAY more often.

#26 of 38 ONLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 05:36 AM

I didn't want to wait until the 6th, but found a members coupon code for 15% off that brought it to $37.68 with WA State sales tax. Quite a deal on this one!

#27 of 38 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 10:28 AM

What are Barnes & Noble like with packaging DVD sets with an outer cardboard box/case?

#28 of 38 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 06 2011 - 02:48 AM

Done!  At the grand total of $34.45.  (I think I just saw this for $50 at Costco.)  Yippee!!!

EDIT:  Might be a momentary fluke, but the email confirmation just received omits the tax, and I'm pretty sure B&N has charged me tax on their shipments.  But for this moment I shan't complain that the price went down to $32.39.

#29 of 38 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted October 29 2011 - 08:40 PM

Muscling my way through this has been a pleasure so far -- although just winding up year 1. McGavin makes a snappy Hammer and his sly, smilin' manner works with what I'm seeing. Perhaps he wasn't the spittin image of what fans of the Spillane pulp books imagined, but try finagling all these crimes into 26 minutes! It looks like McGavin's having fun and some of the stories are quite effective despite the time limitations. A couple of ones (The Living Dead, So That's Who It Was and Beautiful Blue and Deadly) were down right cherce! Sure, there's a lot of 'same-set, same-setup' scenes, but then they go off to the Brussel's Worlds Fair for one episode, have what appears to me more than enough NY location shots, and a lot of two-fisted action. Plenty of Mike's chickies, too. I've only read so-so to worse reviews on this series around the internet but am so far pleasantly surprised. McGavin never fails to deliver, IMHO. Good job A&E!

#30 of 38 ONLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted November 28 2011 - 11:10 AM

Now $29.99 at Amazon! That's 38 cents per episode--practically 50s prices (if they had DVDs in the 50s, that is).

#31 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 29 2011 - 01:30 AM

Now $29.99 at Amazon! That's 38 cents per episode--practically 50s prices (if they had DVDs in the 50s, that is).

Thanks for the info on this one. I might get this set at that price.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#32 of 38 OFFLINE   coco

coco

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 01:20 AM

Great Review, Do you know if there are plans on re releasing Naked City (need it). I myself used to watch Hammer as a kid and was glad to see it and have a copy but I would have preferred a harder boiled character than McGavin. He is good but a little too schmaltzy and cute...guess I am used to The Bogey Mitchum Montgomery's. :confused:

#33 of 38 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 04:11 AM

I'm thru the first season now and into second and really enjoying it. Brings me back to my youth when the local independent station in the late 60s used to have a 2 hour block on Sundays before baseball of Mike Hammer, M Squad, Racket Squad and Code 3. We have the first 2 now and Code 3 was supposed to happen but when Man With A Camera tanked, Infinity got cold feet on Code 3. Too bad. As for Racket Squad, one can only hope but at least the negatives are well looked after at UCLA.

#34 of 38 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:02 PM

The show is mostly studio set bound, but it does not feel studio set bound due to the use of some nice exterior shots from late 1950s New York.  Although the series was shot on a low budget at Republic Studios, it does not seem any lower budget than any network detective show from the same era.

Towards the end of season 2, Revue moved MH to Universal for I say 16 episodes. The graphics for the episode title card and the closing credits changed, too. The studio upon moving to Uni replaced RCA Sound Recording with the Westrex Recording System. They did go outdoors for "Goodbye, Al", shooting on a small-town New England street on the lot, because I recognize it from episodes of JOHNNY STACCATO AND CHECKMATE. Oh, by the way McGavin was filming both MH and RIVERBOAT episodes around the same time, as I once read his obituary several years ago, so he was one very hard-working actor!

#35 of 38 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 28 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have recently finished watching all the episodes in this great set. I am not sure if they have ever been broadcast in the UK, at least I had not seen any of them before.

It would be nice to have the Stacy Keach series on DVD.

#36 of 38 OFFLINE   Cowboy

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 02:38 PM

Huge Darren McGavin fan,bought the set for $22.65 shipped on E-bay.

#37 of 38 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,068 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 28 2013 - 01:05 PM

Huge Darren McGavin fan,bought the set for $22.65 shipped on E-bay.

Thanks for the heads-up. The seller still had a few available.

Rich Gallagher

#38 of 38 ONLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 02:03 PM

I pre-ordered this as a blind buy and fell in love with the series.  Darren McGavin is terrific (I loved him as Kolchak too) and, while it is primarily studio-bound, the New York City shots really give it a sense of atmosphere.  The video and audio quality are solid for the most part.  All-in-all, a wonderful half-hour detective show.  A&E is to be applauded for their efforts.

Darby

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews, TV Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users