Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Ozzie & Harriet

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#141 of 473 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 27 2013 - 09:33 PM

i am beginning to see something that i am not sure was evident to me, before.  and i do not know what percentage of people fall into my boat ?

but i hear comments like nostalgia and entertainment value.

to me, tv has a much deeper meaning to me.

i do not think of tv as entertainment, per se.

there were some shows that i enjoyed as a kid, that i would regard as entertainment.  like hogans heroes, my favorite martian, mr. ed, get smart, and a host of others.

but if i were to put down the 50 tv shows that i liked the best, i suspect that every single one of them would fall into one category - "shows that had a big influence on my development as a person".

shows like the fugitive, bonanza, little house, waltons, highway to heaven, 7th heaven, beaver, father knows best, all the star treks, etc.

they all had characters that developed, behaviors that were stressed, etc.

they emulated the attitudes and thoughts of the day.

that is why i do not want to see ozzie selling folgers at the same time i view the episode.

i want just the full impact of the show, when i watch the show.

as a purely entertainment value, i can enjoy watching old commercials.  i love the hamms bear.  the thriftimart jingle.  literally dozens of them would be great to see.

such that i am more apt to want to watch just a bunch of fun commercials, if i am in just a mode to be entertained.

for all i know, i may be in a very small boat, regarding why i like my favorite shows.

You have great taste in tv, imo  iw4vu1.jpg

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#142 of 473 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted April 27 2013 - 10:16 PM

i am beginning to see something that i am not sure was evident to me, before.  and i do not know what percentage of people fall into my boat ?

but i hear comments like nostalgia and entertainment value.

to me, tv has a much deeper meaning to me.

i do not think of tv as entertainment, per se.

there were some shows that i enjoyed as a kid, that i would regard as entertainment.  like hogans heroes, my favorite martian, mr. ed, get smart, and a host of others.

but if i were to put down the 50 tv shows that i liked the best, i suspect that every single one of them would fall into one category - "shows that had a big influence on my development as a person".

shows like the fugitive, bonanza, little house, waltons, highway to heaven, 7th heaven, beaver, father knows best, all the star treks, etc.

they all had characters that developed, behaviors that were stressed, etc.

they emulated the attitudes and thoughts of the day.

that is why i do not want to see ozzie selling folgers at the same time i view the episode.

i want just the full impact of the show, when i watch the show.

as a purely entertainment value, i can enjoy watching old commercials.  i love the hamms bear.  the thriftimart jingle.  literally dozens of them would be great to see.

such that i am more apt to want to watch just a bunch of fun commercials, if i am in just a mode to be entertained.

for all i know, i may be in a very small boat, regarding why i like my favorite shows.

Many of the 1950s O&H shows are sponsored by Eastman Kodak with the Nelsons doing the commercials.  Those are really fun spots.  I hope they are included.  I had many of these shows in 16mm when I was a film collector.  Those commercials did not take me out of the episode or lessen it in any way.  I would like to see them in the show itself, but it they are included as an extra that would be okay as well.

#143 of 473 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 05:44 PM

POPULAR

For whatever reason, to me, my interest in having commercials pretty much extends to the end of my childhood. I like having them in any show that I get which goes up to the year that I graduated high school. After that, they are of no interest to me, they don't give me any nostalgic feelings and I really don't care about their presence. Everyone has their own thoughts but that's how I look at it. Any show from the time I was under 18 or even before I was born, I love seeing them.

• Bob_S., Professor Echo and PatrickGoodluck like this

#144 of 473 ONLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,086 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 08:52 AM

hi neil,

that sounds like a pretty normal feeling.  nostalgia is at least partly why you like the show.  and the commercials enhance the nostalgia.

#145 of 473 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 02:49 PM

Here is a short video from Sam Nelson with an update about the project:

http://www.kickstart...dd&play=1#video

#146 of 473 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:46 PM

I guess some progress is better than none, but this is moving a lot slower than originally thought.  I believe the initial estimates were for at least some episodes to have been out by this past Christmas.  Unfortunately that didn't happen.  It would be nice if we saw, at a minimum, at least the 1st season released by the end of this year.  But right now that doesn't sound feasible either.  Nevertheless, I'll keep hoping for the best. 

Gary "continuing to keep my fingers crossed" O.

Edited by Gary OS, June 13 2013 - 04:47 PM.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#147 of 473 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:58 PM

I guess some progress is better than none, but this is moving a lot slower than originally thought.  I believe the initial estimates were for at least some episodes to have been out by this past Christmas.  Unfortunately that didn't happen.  It would be nice if we saw, at a minimum, at least the 1st season released by the end of this year.  But right now that doesn't sound feasible either.  Nevertheless, I'll keep hoping for the best. 

Gary "continuing to keep my fingers crossed" O.

I don't know if I ever saw anything about having episodes out by this past Christmas.  With my donation to the Kickstarter program, the estimate at that time (fall of 2011)  was for a delivery date of December 2013 for the first season reward set.  Things are going slower than I would like, too, but it seems finally some positive results are taking place.  At least we have some info now and not just unconfirmed rumors.

Edited by John Hermes, June 13 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#148 of 473 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 05:19 PM

One of the Kickstarter rewards was for 5 episodes this past December.  And yes, the full 1st season was/is scheduled for this coming December. 

Gary "I just think the project has turned out to be bigger than originally expected - but that's only my opinion as to the slow progress" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#149 of 473 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 05:31 PM

POPULAR

One of the Kickstarter rewards was for 5 episodes this past December.  And yes, the full 1st season was/is scheduled for this coming December. 

Gary "I just think the project has turned out to be bigger than originally expected - but that's only my opinion as to the slow progress" O.

It's taken a year-and-a-half or so to get to this point.  Slow indeed.  Believe me, at 61 years old, if this doesn't kick into high gear soon, I'll be up there with Ozzie, Harriet, David, and the irrepressible Ricky in person!

Edited by John Hermes, June 13 2013 - 06:03 PM.

• Gary OS, Radioman970, Professor Echo and 1 other like this

#150 of 473 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the update, John.  It is much appreciated.  I agree with you and Gary about the slower than expected progress (while hoping for the best).  I was hoping Sam would say how many episodes have been transferred  in the video but if he did I missed it. UCLA is a terrific facility but they are not in the business of commercially releasing DVDs and they are subject to funding limitations so this may end up taking quite a bit of time just for the transfers let alone find a distributor.    The positive I see is that Sam seems to be genuinely passionate about this and wants this to be first rate product.  That's always a good thing to have an advocate. 

Maybe Sam can call on his uncle Mark for assistance :)    Just donating his salary for one episode would definitely kick this into high gear as John (and I) hopes!

• Gary OS likes this
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#151 of 473 ONLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,086 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 07:56 PM

heck, we got the head honcho giving us reports.  i would say that is very good news.

• Radioman970 likes this

#152 of 473 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:58 AM

Seagate HD?  Noooooooooo...!  My least successful HD brand.  Had a stack of those die on me over the years.  Much more luck with WD.  Hopefully they are backing them up like a manic paranoid across many HDs of different brands.  

I find this very exciting. I don't wanna be visiting John Hermes in Happy Eternal Acres!  But if I'm 2 or 3 years older than right now when my full series set arrives in the mail I'll be excited. In fact, a good reason to keep my health up to par.  ;)   

Happy to see that Kodak.  Nostalgic, back to old times, like the show itself. 

Edited by Radioman970, June 14 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#153 of 473 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hope it's good news for the release schedule.

OT, I've had good luck with all of my Seagate HDD's,.  WD's are top-quality products, no question.

I clone frequently with Seagate's and no problems so far.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#154 of 473 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'll give you all a gift.  Usually, when I say something, the opposite happens, so here goes:

I honestly feel, and fearlessly predict, that OZZIE AND HARRIET will never be released on DVD, at all.

At best, there may be one season, but sales will be so low, there will never be another.

Facing facts:  THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES went to the top of the ratings and has lived on forever in syndication, and its DVDs flopped.  So how can there be much hope for O&H, which only cracked the Top 30 once in its fourteen seasons (and that barely -- it was #29 in the 1963-64 season, almost entirely due to teenage girls wanting to see Ricky), and was a failure in syndication and hasn't been seen by the general public in decades?

• Radioman970 likes this

#155 of 473 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'll give you all a gift.  Usually, when I say something, the opposite happens, so here goes:

I honestly feel, and fearlessly predict, that OZZIE AND HARRIET will never be released on DVD, at all.

At best, there may be one season, but sales will be so low, there will never be another.

Facing facts:  THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES went to the top of the ratings and has lived on forever in syndication, and its DVDs flopped.  So how can there be much hope for O&H, which only cracked the Top 30 once in its fourteen seasons (and that barely -- it was #29 in the 1963-64 season, almost entirely due to teenage girls wanting to see Ricky), and was a failure in syndication and hasn't been seen by the general public in decades?

Well, after that litany, it's bound to come out!   :)

Edited by John Hermes, June 14 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#156 of 473 ONLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:59 AM

There's more to the story on the Beverly Hillbillies.

#157 of 473 ONLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:01 AM

Going back to the elements for a show that lasted 14 or 15 seasons and had something like 39 episodes for most seasons -- that's a huge project.  I appreciate the effort Sam is putting into this and I wish it fully succeeds as soon as possible.

• Ron1973 likes this

#158 of 473 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 14 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hope it's good news for the release schedule.

OT, I've had good luck with all of my Seagate HDD's,.  WD's are top-quality products, no question.

I clone frequently with Seagate's and no problems so far.

That's good. I've just had bad luck.  the only WD I had go out on me I had a plug that I somehow didn't get all the way and ran the thing for a year wondering why some of my stuff wasn't working right.  I'm all " I guess I just need to upgrade my video card". lol   

My PC before this current one (which I built myself from the ground up and knockonwood it's been 2.5 years!) was pre-built.  I freaked out when I saw it was a Deskstar drive in there.   Sure enough, it started click click click.   Seagate bought Maxtor.  My folks had their Deskstar die years before.  Deathstar.  

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#159 of 473 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:03 PM

If any of you guys have an extra $3.5 million laying around, you might be able to talk the owner into selling.

http://www.zillow.co.../20803464_zpid/

Edited by John Hermes, June 14 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#160 of 473 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,194 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:49 PM

There's more to the story on the Beverly Hillbillies.

I have some thoughts but I'd love to hear if they line up with what actually happened

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users