-

Photo
- - - - -

Glee Season 3 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#1 of 121 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted September 20 2011 - 06:46 AM

I'm hoping Glee can regain some of its footing from a so-so sophomore season and bounce back and bring in some fun and levity on Fox in the 8 p.m. EDT timeslot tonight.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 121 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted September 20 2011 - 02:23 PM

Enjoyed the humbling of Kurt and Rachel very much. At least the writers have brought back the underdog angle to the show. Much more optimistic for this season.

#3 of 121 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,038 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 20 2011 - 02:30 PM

I liked it, too. Enjoyed Blaine's "It's Not Unusual," the Kurt-Rachel duet, the "Anything Goes/Anything You Can Do" mash-up (featuring one of the Glee Project runners-up), and the finale. All satisfying numbers, and with some movement in the personal lives and the personnel at the school, it's off to a nice start.

#4 of 121 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,586 posts

Posted September 21 2011 - 01:36 AM

I enjoyed it quite a bit (then again, I enjoyed season two, too).  The darker humour was back for sure--I mean what else can you call the reference to the Kent State shooting?

Still not digging those bangs on Lea Michele, though.

#5 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,117 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 21 2011 - 02:32 AM

Add me to the choir of the pleasantly surprised. It felt like a television show again instead of some sort of social movement.

#6 of 121 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,475 posts

Posted September 21 2011 - 10:16 AM

Above average compared to last season.  LOVED "We Got The Beat" but wish it had energized the students more...it feels a bit like a rehash of "New York State Of Mind" last season.

#7 of 121 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,423 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 30 2011 - 04:49 PM

I spotted So You Think You Can Dance contestant Melinda Sullivan in the tap dancing crew.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#8 of 121 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,475 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 03:59 AM

Wow!  Two excellent shows in a row!  Focusing on Mercedes and Mike?  BRILLIANT!  Great song choices, LOVED the storyline with BOTH sets of parents.  Glee's got its groove back!

#9 of 121 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 04:04 AM

I think it's good they are back to character-based episodes, instead of unbridled afternoon specials with a message episodes.

#10 of 121 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,038 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 05 2011 - 08:37 AM

The last two shows have been strong, and musically they've been spot-on. Really nice to get the backstory on Mike Chang, and Harry really got to shine in "Cool" with singing and dancing.

#11 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,117 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 05 2011 - 10:02 AM

Last night's episode was one of the best of the entire series. I like that the show showcases genuinely decent parents mixed in with the bad ones. As much as I can't stand Kurt, Kurt's dad is one of my favorite TV characters. And the music was really, really solid.

#12 of 121 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,586 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 05:27 PM

I agree, Adam.  This was one potentially the episode of the series, for me.  Everything worked.

Love it or hate it, Glee really does have some of the best camera work and editing on TV.

#13 of 121 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 08:11 PM

Love it or hate it, Glee really does have some of the best camera work and editing on TV.

I agree with you there.

#14 of 121 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,621 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 07 2011 - 02:11 AM

I think I'm done with Glee. It took two weeks and two 30-min viewings to get through the premiere. And I've had no interest in subsequent episodes. The fun for me is gone.

I'll check back to see if people think it's worthwhile this season and perhaps pick it up during the Winter TV hiatus.

#15 of 121 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,475 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 04:34 PM

Good but not great episode.  LOVED "Candyman" and "Being Green."

#16 of 121 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,117 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 02 2011 - 04:51 PM

Probably my least favorite episode so far this season. The Irish guy felt shoehorned in -- which he was, as a contest winner -- and I'm not really loving the Shelby/Puck hook-up. This show trivializes everything, including it seems, raising a child. When Kurt's dad said that Kurt was going to be his campaign manager, but he could use adult supervision, I had to laugh. The guy's running for Congress, not a seat on the town board. EDIT: Puck, not Finn

#17 of 121 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 02 2011 - 11:51 PM

I thought the same.   Besides, last year they joked that Sue was in 8th place in the race, out of all the 3rd party candidates.. and now Burt is her only opposition as a write in candidate.. in a swing state like Ohio?!@?!?

I really dislike everything they do with Britney.   They have made her out to be completely mentally disabled.   Which makes all the jokes at her expense and the playing along with her brutal at times... too brutal.   If her character is as impaired as they portray it, then she shouldn't be in normal high school classes, and she couldn't hold together the grades to maintain two extra curricular activities.  No way.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#18 of 121 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,038 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 03 2011 - 12:35 AM

At one time my favorite show on television, this season, even with the addition of a full-time writing staff, has left me very disappointed. The momentum is floundering, and when Damien McGinty was being shoved into lockers, I moaned aloud that we were going to that bullying place again (I guess the hall monitors that were on patrol and allowed Kurt to return to McKinley are long gone). I just find myself impatient now with the lack of continuity, an irritation that even the best musical numbers can't placate.

#19 of 121 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted November 03 2011 - 02:43 AM

Oh, you mean minor things like the anti-bully campaign that was the result of a season long storyline (that is now apparently completely forgotten) or the singing and dancing about how alcohol abuse is bad, then the jokes this year about geting boozed?   This show for me has gone the route of Heroes.. a great, great initial setup and first season, and then a struggle to find any creative move forward since

Originally Posted by MattH. 

At one time my favorite show on television, this season, even with the addition of a full-time writing staff, has left me very disappointed. The momentum is floundering, and when Damien McGinty was being shoved into lockers, I moaned aloud that we were going to that bullying place again (I guess the hall monitors that were on patrol and allowed Kurt to return to McKinley are long gone). I just find myself impatient now with the lack of continuity, an irritation that even the best musical numbers can't placate.

trakt.tv

#20 of 121 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 03:49 PM

Dropped from my DVR now.

Ok, here's the problem:

Basically what starts out as virtual date rape in one case (Kurt) then, oh, it recovers.. he's sorry, and a beautiful moment at the end (shockingly unrealistic)

Peer pressure on all people.. and while there is a good moment in there, there are also a lot of boneheaded comments that wreck the narrative of the show.

The song numbers are good - and one is very good - but the narrative from last season is totally gone.   The relationship that existed between Britney and Artie was sweet last year; they revealed she really cared for him and was crushed when he felt she was stupid.   So, for Artie to make wry comments about how stupid she was and how he had sex with a girl who struggled remembering his name wasn't funny, it was terrible and demoralizing.. it burns the bridge of the relationship that was setup last year and it further paints Britney as being mentally challenged.. and pokes fun at it.

I just have no idea what kind of train wreck is brewing on this show, but I'm now out.

trakt.tv