What's new

New Girl - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"New Girl" gets the "Glee" lead-in spot on Fox with a 9 p.m. EDT timeslot. I'll check out it for the Zooey Deschanel factor. I was confused by the Damon Wayans Jr. appearance in the early promos for this show, as he was on "Happy Endings" on ABC last season, but it appears that he's been replaced by another actor since his "Happy Endings" show got renewed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, this show made me LOL a few times, and the douchebag jar is a good runinng gag if they continue with it. It'll be funny if they replace the Coach character (due to the recasting), and just not make hay about it at all.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. I wish this was on after "Raising Hope", because the laugh quotient was just too low to sit through. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't entertaining enough to keep me invested. I wish they were dumping the main white guy instead of Coach, because they should stuff whole character into the douchebag jar. I did like the other white guy whose ex was the Waitress from "Always Sunny."

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They pretty much showed the whole pilot in the endless previews, but I found every one of those previews funny and entertaining.

The Douchebag Jar is eeirly similar to the D-Bag Criteria my friends have been working on...(but not for me).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought it was awful. Aside from the DBag jar, I don't think I laughed once. Oddly enough, it was the highest rated show on Fox last night, beating even the premiere of Glee, from EW.com:
New Girl was seen by 10.1 million viewers at 9 p.m. and delivered a strong 4.7 adults 18-49 rating. That’s the highest-rated fall sitcom premiere on Fox since The Bernie Mac Show 10 years ago. What’s particularly impressive about this number is how much the comedy built from its Glee third season premiere lead-in. Glee (8.9 million, 3.8) was down 32 percent from its first episode last fall, yet New Girl was up a whopping 52 percent from the debut of Raising Hope in its slot last year. Speaking of Hope (6.8 million, 3.1), the second season of the comedy successfully matched its first season premiere rating at 9:30 p.m.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I realized too late I forgot to record the Glee season premiere, and I found ... I didn't really care all that much. :) Still, I plan to watch it on Fox.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisR

Originally Posted by Malcolm R [url=/t/314942/new-girl-series-premiere-9-20-2011#post_3853040]

Oddly enough, it was the highest rated show on Fox last night, beating even the premiere of Glee...

I think that shows that Glee's 15 minutes is up.
/t/314942/new-girl-series-premiere-9-20-2011#post_3853051

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I thought new girl was funny. I love Zooey's character. She is just so darn cute! The scene where she is watching Dirty Dancing had me laughing so hard. Especially when she does the Lord of the Ring bit..... "Except Gollum, he lives in a cave". OMG so funny! When she comes out all dressed up and then does that stupid dance.... how can you not find that funny? I don't know...maybe it's a girl thing!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nope, not a girl thing. Everything with Zooey I thought was hilarious, even after seeing it played constantly in previews. I particularly like the "cute guy alert" cartoon impression and the "Hey sailor!"

The stuff with the guys needs some work, particularly the Schmidt character whose d-baggery needs to be dialed down a bit if they want him to be likable. It kind of shows how fine a line How I Met Your Mother's writers and Neil Patrick Harris walk with the Barney Stinson character.
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran

I thought new girl was funny. I love Zooey's character. She is just so darn cute! The scene where she is watching Dirty Dancing had me laughing so hard. Especially when she does the Lord of the Ring bit..... "Except Gollum, he lives in a cave". OMG so funny! When she comes out all dressed up and then does that stupid dance.... how can you not find that funny? I don't know...maybe it's a girl thing!
/t/314942/new-girl-series-premiere-9-20-2011#post_3853698

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Deschanel's character was so OTT cutesy-woosty and precious it made my skin crawl. And I like Zooey Deschanel. But the character came off as semi-retarded.

The rest of the show has been done a million times. I may give it another go, but this does not look like it's happening.

Maybe it did well in the ratings because some people thought this was a new Katy Perry show.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
"I'm doing sexy things to a pillow!" " I'm doing sexy things to this plant..... I'll have to clean that up laterrrrrr!" I agree that the d-bag charater was a bit much. he sort of got on my nerves, but I liked every time they called him on it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife was dying; laughing the whole show. For me, it's the best new comedy so far (and crushes 2.5 Men's return) and had a stronger start than 2 Broke Girls. But why would they replace "Coach"? He was awesome!

Looking forward to the next episode!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
But why would they replace "Coach"? He was awesome!
Because Damon Wayans Jr. is under contract to "Happy Endings." I assume he shot the "New Girl" pilot before "Happy Endings" was renewed for a second season.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've always found Zooey to be cute as all hell but you put those Deschanel eyes behind a pair of Tina Fey-ish glasses and make her all goofy and quirky? Oh yeah. :cool: I loved it, out of all of the new shows I've seen so far this one made me laugh the hardest and the most often.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I guess I feel better because I had problems with my dvr tonight and only caught the last 10 minutes.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Zooey's cute act is getting a bit old. These is so nauseating in this that it made me want to throw the TV around or maybe mute it so I don't have to hear or voice. The other cast members are no funny and the show premise, other than its quirky references is DOA.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife and I still love this show :) (But I miss Coach).

It's so silly, predictable in some ways, but adds its little twist to the sitcom tropes. Also a plus, it avoids making every third joke a lazy vulgarity (ahem Two Broke Girls)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks