What's new

WHV Announcement: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Blu-ray Combo) (1 Viewer)

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Any other details on the whole collection? My wife and I have been waiting since the the second film to buy any more, in the hopes of a set that rivals the Lord of the Rings collection.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ According to The Digital Bits today, "[t]here will also be a Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection on Blu-ray and DVD that same day, which will include the basic versions of all the films..." http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents My guess is a big set will come next fall after they've released the ultimate editions of The Deathly Hallows movies next year.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Given that this movie was converted to 3D as an afterthought, with no artistic impetus for the effect or consideration of it during filming, a plain old 2D Blu-ray is fine by me.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I was waiting for a grand box set to make an upgrade to Blu-ray on these. (Only ended up getting the first four on DVD.) If The Bits is correct, it looks like in 2012, there will be a feature packed set worthy of taking the plunge! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

“Emotional, brilliant, and an awesome finale to an amazing series.”

- Steve Weintraub, Collider.com

HARRY POTTER

AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 2

ARRIVES ONTO BLU-RAY™ COMBO PACK, DVD and

DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ON NOVEMBER 11 FROM

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

Featuring UltraViolet Digital Copy

Lego® Harry Potter™: Years 5-7 Videogame

Also Available November 11

The Harry Potter Home Entertainment Celebration at

Universal Orlando Resort, home to

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,

will commemorate the entire film franchise with special events

edc52c65_a7200b4b_a.gif

Burbank, CA, September 20, 2011 – The “Boy Who Lived” comes face to face with the enemy of the wizarding world for a final, epic battle in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” when it arrives on Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and Digital Download on November 11 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson return for the closing installment of the most successful film franchise of all time. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” has earned more than $1.3 billion at the worldwide box office.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” was directed by David Yates who also helmed the blockbusters “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1.” Returning from previous Harry Potter films is an all-star supporting cast, including Helena Bonham Carter, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, Tom Felton, Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Ciarán Hinds, John Hurt, Jason Isaacs, Matthew Lewis, Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, David Thewlis, Julie Walters and Bonnie Wright.

The collective Harry Potter films are the highest-grossing franchise of all time, a global record it has held since the success of the sixth film, 2009’s “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.”

The Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD include an UltraViolet Digital Copy of the standard definition main feature, which allows consumers to download the film to a PC or Mac plus instantly stream it from a digital cloud to many computers, tablets or smartphones.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” will be available for a limited time only on Blu-ray and DVD, so get your copy before it vanishes from shelves. New shipments of all eight Harry Potter films on Blu-ray and DVD will cease on December 29, 2011.

The release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” will also be marked by a special celebration at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort, where the Harry Potter stories live on. The Harry Potter Home Entertainment Celebration will consist of a series of special events to be attended by cast and filmmakers from the Harry Potter films. The three-day celebration will take place from Friday, November 11 to Sunday, November 13. Cast and filmmakers expected to be in attendance include James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley), Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick, Griphook), Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood), Mark Williams (Arthur Weasley), David Bradley (Argus Filch), Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown) and many more to be named later*.

In addition, the exciting global online adventure “Harry Potter: The Quest” continues. Fans can earn points to unlock content that will give them a deeper look into the world of Harry Potter by playing games, watching videos and having all new Harry Potter experiences that will bring them closer to exciting rewards. For more information and to sign up visit www.HarryPotterTheQuest.com. Additional information and content is also available at http://www.facebook.com/harrypottermovie and http://twitter.com/harrypotterfilm.

Also available on November 11 will be “Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection” featuring the complete Harry Potter film franchise on Blu-ray and DVD.

LEGO® HARRY POTTER™: YEARS 5-7

Available for holiday 2011 will be “LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 5-7.” Published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, developed by TT Games and licensed by the LEGO Group, “LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 5-7” continues the stories of the “Boy Who Lived” in this spell-binding adventure. This time, players are transported through the final three books and final four films – “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™,” “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince™,” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™” – to experience Harry’s last years at Hogwarts™ and battle Lord Voldemort™ in the ultimate fight of good vs. evil. The game features lessons, spell-casting, dueling and much more for players of all ages to enjoy. The game will be available for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, the Wii™ system, the Nintendo DS™ and Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held systems and Windows PC.

SYNOPSIS

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 is the final adventure in the Harry Potter film series. The much-anticipated motion picture event is the second of two full-length parts.

In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war. The stakes have never been higher and no one is safe. But it is Harry Potter who may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as he draws closer to the climactic showdown with Lord Voldemort. It all ends here.

PRODUCT DETAILS

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2” will be available on Blu-ray Combo Pack, featuring a hi-definition copy, a standard definition copy and an UltraViolet digital copy of the main feature, for $35.99. It will also be available on single disc DVD with an UltraViolet Digital Copy for $28.98.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2can also be purchased for permanent download through iTunes, Zune Marketplace on Xbox 360, Amazon, Vudu and CinemaNow. A hi-definition version is available for download at the PlayStation Store on PS3 game consoles, PSP and PS Vita.

It will be available to rent ON DEMAND in hi-definition through Digital Cable, IPTV and Satellite TV.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2will be available to rent via kiosks and subscription on 12/09/11.

“Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection” will be available on Blu-ray for $139.99 and DVD for $98.92 SRP.

BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

The “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2Blu-ray Combo Pack contains the following special features:

• Maximum Movie Mode hosted by Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) and other cast members (80 minutes) - As the epic showdown between Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort approaches, don’t miss a single detail as the forces of good and evil clash one final time throughout the grounds of Hogwarts.

• A Conversation with JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe - Join J.K. Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe for an exclusive conversation about bringing the character of Harry Potter to life, the last decade of films and how their lives have changed by the fame that they’ve both experienced.

• The Goblins of Gringotts - Hosted by Warwick Davis, you’ll see the entire process of becoming a goblin in a Harry Potter film, from auditions and casting to makeup and prosthetic tests as well as filming the final scenes.

• The Women of Harry Potter – A look at the remarkable women in Harry Potter’s life and the critical role they play in the films.

• WB Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter

• Deleted Scenes

For PS3™ Users:

• Game demo of “LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 5-7 for PS3™

The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2Standard Definition DVD contains the following special features:

• Deleted scenes

ULTRAVIOLETTM DIGITAL COPY

Warner Bros. is taking Digital Copy to a whole new level. The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2UltraViolet Digital Copy includes a Standard Definition Digital Copy of the main feature. Restrictions apply. See packaging for details.

BASICS

PRODUCT SRP

Blu-ray Combo Pack $35.99

Single disc Amaray (WS) $28.98

Standard Street Date: November 11, 2011

DVD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Canadian French

BD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese

DVD Subtitles: ESDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

BD Subtitles: ESDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Brazilian Portuguese

Running Time: 130 minutes

Rating: PG-13 (for some sequences of intense action violence and frightening images)

DLBY/SURR DLBY/DGTL [CC]

The Credits

About Warner Home Video

A division of Warner Bros. Entertainment Group with operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, Village Roadshow, HBO Home Video, and New Line Home Entertainment.

About Warner Bros. Digital Distribution

A Division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution (WBDD) oversees the electronic distribution of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group’s content through Video-On-Demand, Pay-Per-View, Electronic Sell-Through and Subscription Video-On-Demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels. WBDD also distributes content through third party digital retailers and licensees. A worldwide industry leader since its inception, WBDD also manages the Studio’s E-commerce sites that include WBShop.com and WarnerArchive.com. Twitter: @WBDigitalDist

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Interesting. Amazon UK actually has 3D Blu-ray pre-order listings for BOTH parts of Deathly Hallows: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B005GKYRFS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316651583&sr=8-2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B00512WO9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316651583&sr=8-1 The first one was originally planned as a 3D theatrical release, but they couldn't get the conversion done in time so the 3D version was scrapped.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
According the the listing they are "region Free"....so they should be playable in the U.S.; correct?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
cafink said:
Given that this movie was converted to 3D as an afterthought, with no artistic impetus for the effect or consideration of it during filming, a plain old 2D Blu-ray is fine by me.
I am almost, I repeat, almost certain this is incorrect. I saw an interview with Daniel Radcliffe in which he stated he was no fan of 3D. That for part 1, no plans had been made for the movie to be converted to 3D when it was filmed. Part 2, however, was planned to be converted. When I saw it in 3D, I thought it was excellent. Again, I emphasize my memory isn't quite good enough to swear in court about that interview, but I'm kinda, sorta, sure:)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Weren't they filmed simultaneously, though? Or at least back-to-back? They had more time to work on the 3D conversion of Part II just because of the extra 6 months between the two films' release dates, but I am under the distinct impression that the decision to do so was made after both films were complete. I'm not 100% certain either, though, and would love it if somebody could provide more concrete information.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by cafink

Weren't they filmed simultaneously, though? Or at least back-to-back? They had more time to work on the 3D conversion of Part II just because of the extra 6 months between the two films' release dates, but I am under the distinct impression that the decision to do so was made after both films were complete. I'm not 100% certain either, though, and would love it if somebody could provide more concrete information.

They were filmed back to back. Warner's at first had announced that Part 1 would be presented in 3D through the conversion process. After the terrible results from Clash of The Titans, Warner's decided that they did not have enough time to re-work some of the special effects to give them a 3D bump so they can called off the 3D release for Part 1. But since the films were filmed at the same time, they had time and of course money to go back work on the CGI to give it more of a 3D bump on Harry Part 2 and in the long run created a very satisfactory 3D film.

If the director is thinking 3D as he films the movie or if they have time to go back and re-do most of the CGI effects, you can get a very good and enjoyable converted 3D film. The problem has been the rush to convert films to 3D, there was no thought given so you got the bastardized releases such as Clash of the Titans and Air-bender and about a hundred others including in my book, Green Lantern, Gulliver's Travels, Green Hornet and Thor.

I hope that by the time next summer gets here, filmmakers will understand you just can't slap 3D on the film and it be a wonder. There is still a lot of thought and talent that has to go in to making a 3D film.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I misspoke in my previous post. I said that the decision to convert the films to 3D "was made after both films were complete," but I meant after filming was complete. Allen's post confirms my initial impression of the conversion process for Deathly Hallows Part 2--they had plenty of time to work on the conversion and probably consider it in editing, special effects, etc., but still, they are working on a film that was shot with no consideration of a 3D presentation, so it doesn't really interest me. In researching this issue, I did come across an interesting article about the conversion: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/05/26/why-harry-potter%E2%80%99s-3d-will-be-different/ Producer David Heyman says that, even though the 3D theatrical release was scrapped for Part 1, "we’ve done 3D for the Blu-ray so Part One will be available in 3D in your home at some point." So I guess it makes sense that Amazon has it available for pre-order.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
cafink said:
, but still, they are working on a film that was shot with no consideration of a 3D presentation, so it doesn't really interest me.
So no matter the final result, you're not interested because it wasn't filmed to be 3D? Seems rather close minded to me. The 3D in Part 2 was just fine, IMHO and that of another poster. Just because There's a Clash of the Titans out there, it doesn't mean every 3D conversion will be bad.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
No, the reason I'm not interested isn't simply because it wasn't filmed in 3D. I know of several 3D movies in which at least part of the live-action footage was shot in 2D and converted to 3D later (Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Alex Winter's The Gate, for example). But in those cases, the 3D conversion was part of the plan--it was just another option in the filmmakers' toolbox. That's fine with me and a perfectly valid way of making a 3D movie, given that the 2D footage can successfully and convincingly be converted to 3D The reason I'm not interested is because the 3D conversion was a business decision by the studio, not an artistic decision by the filmmakers. As I said before, there was "no artistic impetus for the effect or consideration of it during filming." I don't have any reservations about the quality of the conversion. Clash of the Titans is infamous for it's poor 3D conversion, but I thought it looked just fine, honestly. I have no doubt that the 3D version of Harry Potter looks great. But I'm no more interested in it than I am in any other film that is altered after the fact. It's inclusion would be a nice bonus, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
cafink said:
The reason I'm not interested is because the 3D conversion was a business decision by the studio, not an artistic decision by the filmmakers. As I said before, there was "no artistic impetus for the effect or consideration of it during filming."
So the motive behind the decision is what matters? So if a studio sets out to make "Psycho Cheerleaders in Bikinis Meet the Munsters" purely to make a few bucks and somehow comes up with a movie to rival "Citizen Kane", you won't be interested because of the initial motivation? Many times the making of docs point out that the director's first choice for the lead can't be had because he's two expensive or not available and they go to the 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice based on who they can get. There are so many business decisions made on any movie that are made for commercial reasons only. I'll make my decision to watch based on the final results.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Johnny Angell said:
Many times the making of docs point out that the director's first choice for the lead can't be had because he's two expensive or not available and they go to the 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice based on who they can get. There are so many business decisions made on any movie that are made for commercial reasons only.
And I generally enjoy those movies in spite of the commercial considerations, not because of them. 3D conversions differ from many other moviemaking business decisions in that the conversion of an existing 2D film to 3D does not alter it intrinsically. The version of the film unaffected by the business decision--the original 2D version--remains. As I said before, I'm sure the 3D version of Harry Potter looks great, and that the 3D effect is convincing. There are plenty of black-and-white films that have been successfully and convincingly converted to color, too, but I'm not interested in watching any of them, either. I'd prefer to simply stick with the film as originally made by the director.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks