Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Castle Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
110 replies to this topic

#1 of 111 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,182 posts

Posted September 19 2011 - 02:20 AM

As a reminder, the new season starts tonight, as the floodgates of the new fall season has fully opened!

Picking up right where last season left off, after Beckett getting shot at the funeral.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#2 of 111 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,437 posts

Posted September 19 2011 - 07:07 PM

A reset of sorts. But clarity is given to the Becket/Castle situation. The doctor boyfriend is gone, which is just as well. It's good enough for now. As they stretch out the mystery. I like seeing Cassidy Yates as the new Captain. Nice contrast she adds, no nonsense. And Worf as the police psych, interesting. Sorry for my Trek references. :)

#3 of 111 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,182 posts

Posted September 20 2011 - 04:19 AM

I enjoyed the premiere. Interesting to see the same type of obsession that Beckett had when she was investigating her mother's murder the first time around, has now consumed Rick Castle. It is appearing that he is heading down the same path, where he will neglect the people around him.

Also, I forgot that the 3rd Nikki Heat book came out this month.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#4 of 111 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 20 2011 - 09:31 AM

I liked the new captain, too. She acts more how I believe a real captain would act, professional and with no small amount of by-the-book CYA. Things were getting too cozy toward the end of last season. Having had a father go through massive emergency heart surgery, however, I can tell you that nobody mere hours off the operating table would look like Beckett did. She should have looked AWFUL. The first time I saw my dad after he came out, I thought he didn't make it through surgery, because I didn't think anybody alive could look that terrible. And she should have been hooked up to a lot more machines and tubes. But that's my only nitpick. I liked seeing Alexis furious at Castle for diving back into this world that came literally inches away from killing him. That seemed like a very real reaction a kid would have to that situation, especially a kid who's effectively grown up with a single parent like her.

#5 of 111 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,018 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 20 2011 - 10:11 AM

I didn't think it was a reset at all.   In the final scene in the meeting with the psychiatrist (nicely played by Michael Dorn) she pointed out "I remember everything..." so I'm assuming she means she now absolutely knows Castle loves her; she's just not prepared to go down that road.

I thought that was a nice play that made it clear to us nothing was reset, it's just one character isn't prepared to change things.. and I"m betting that was a big part of why she broke up with the doctor.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 111 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,437 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 20 2011 - 02:34 PM

The fact that Beckett knows for sure how Castle truly feels but doesn't acknowledge it to him will add an interesting spin on all of their dealings for the season. It may not reset the show's dynamic but it adds an interesting new wrinkle.

#7 of 111 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 22 2011 - 11:02 AM

Honestly, the revelation at the end that she remembered anything seemed pretty obvious to me at the beginning, the way she looked away from Castle before the commercial break as she claimed to not remember it. That being said, I enjoyed the episode. Not sure how I feel about Sherry Palmer as the captain. I mean, I guess I'm not supposed to like her that much (at least at this point), which is working so far. :D

#8 of 111 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 22 2011 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, but that kind of character is so common now and very offputting. The shippers all die for Castle and Becket to be together, so here comes this nasty wedge character to keep them apart. It'll probably be alright here, but I understand such a character helped destroy the second season of Human Target. We've all got enough stress in life without having the "character who brings grit" horning in on our escapism. :P

#9 of 111 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,437 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 02:32 AM

"if you two are finished with your superhero fantasy..." Great line delivery! They keep adding bits of common interests between Becket and Castle. Regarding the plot, It looked they may have been about to go down the same path of an original Hawaii Five-0 where the killer follows the same path of a comic book by killing people who are giving trouble to the hero.

#10 of 111 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 03 2011 - 03:16 PM

Love, love, love, love, love that Alexis didn't get into Stanford. She's such an angelic, perfect creature that it was nice to see a real setback come her way. I wouldn't want to see her doing drugs or sleeping around, but there needs to be a LITTLE conflict in that storyline. Plus, it opens the door for her to stay on the show by attending college a little closer to home.

#11 of 111 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,018 posts

Posted October 03 2011 - 03:21 PM

Early enrollment is normally a big honor.  This should be real encouragement for her to double down her senior year with extra circulars etc.   Or maybe she stays local.   Either way, you're right, I thought that was a really great piece of writing.

trakt.tv

#12 of 111 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,437 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 04 2011 - 08:28 AM

Molly Quinn is such a fine actress that I'm happy to see her stick around as long as possible on the show. I agree that letting her be rejected for early admission by Stanford was a wise decision.

#13 of 111 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,036 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 08:45 AM

I think it is a real positive that they keep Quinn as long as possible since she and her character really add to the show. That said anyone who knows anything about Stanford would be amused by the rejection because in reality someone with her pedigree would have sailed in no problems.

#14 of 111 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 04 2011 - 08:56 AM

I'm tired of Iron Gates and her, "Is that all you've got, detective?" crap. She's a captain. She should know that every clue is not just dumped in your lap like on the TV. They shouldn't have made the deal with the cryogenics guy to keep the head. They should have said, "Look, you either give us the body, or we put a huge Jiffy Pop in your house and light it up with a laser from an airplane!"

#15 of 111 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,018 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 09:07 AM

Ok, major credit for the Real Genius reference.

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

I'm tired of Iron Gates and her, "Is that all you've got, detective?" crap. She's a captain. She should know that every clue is not just dumped in your lap like on the TV.
They shouldn't have made the deal with the cryogenics guy to keep the head. They should have said, "Look, you either give us the body, or we put a huge Jiffy Pop in your house and light it up with a laser from an airplane!"

trakt.tv

#16 of 111 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted October 06 2011 - 03:02 AM

Have to agree that the captain is a bad add to the cast. The team concept is not flowing. When the series started it was Beckett that opposed Castle being around and everyone else was happy. Now they bring in a captain that can't be pleased and Beckett kind of having to defend him. Not working.
Dave

#17 of 111 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 06 2011 - 06:38 AM

I'm tired of Iron Gates and her, "Is that all you've got, detective?" crap. She's a captain. She should know that every clue is not just dumped in your lap like on the TV.

I kind of like that about the character. Most procedural characters fall into the trope of being a hero or villain. She's neither. Here we have a woman who made her career in Internal Affairs, is driven by her personal ambition rather than a thirst for justice, and at the end of the day is really too green for the job. She's never been a beat cop, or a detective on the streets. Her whole career up until now has been inside the force. It brings a different element to the table, and it creates conflict on a show where everybody had gotten way too chummy.

#18 of 111 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 06 2011 - 08:12 AM

What I mean is when Beckett comes in and says, "The body is missing, but we have determined the victim is a male." And she comes back with, "Great, a male. That narrows it down!" And scowls like it's Beckett's fault. In the real world, a lot of murders go unsolved. Beckett has a pretty amazing record. I'm not saying it's not realistic for a captain to be overbearing and demanding, but it's still kind of annoying. They have kind of set up her "wet behind the ears" status that you mentioned by her constantly worrying about what the DA wants. Montgomery would have said, "Tell the DA to be patient and let my detectives do their work, or go to hell."

#19 of 111 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,190 posts

Posted October 07 2011 - 11:08 AM

The captain "Sir" has got to be the most unlikeable television character I ever recall seeing. I certainly hope she falls victim to a slow, violent, tortorous death at the hands of a serial killer sometime during the season. A lot of the cop procedurals, especially NCIS and its knockoffs have had these "power bitch" characters, but nothing like this woman. Does she ever have something positive to say or is it always some snarky negative comment? I'm to the point where I just fast forward past her scenes, regardless of what dialogue or story point I may miss. Completely ruins the fun factor of this show.
Stan

#20 of 111 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 31 2011 - 04:15 PM

I know the "hostage in a bank robbery" storyline is a total procedural trope, but "Castle" pulled it off better than most. It was nice to see Castle being smart on his own again, since they've mostly wrote him staying the obvious in witty and or punny ways so far this season. When Alexis showed up at the crime scene, my heart just broke.