-

Photo
- - - - -

Lion King 3D - Whose Seen It?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,257 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 18 2011 - 07:52 AM

I haven't yet. Anyone have comments?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted September 18 2011 - 08:34 AM

I would have but my matinee was in 2D instead.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted September 19 2011 - 01:38 AM

I saw it on Friday with my daughter, who loves Lion King and wanted a chance to see it in a theater. She would have rather seen it in 2D though. I really thought they did a great job with the 3D conversion. Many of the scenes were beautifully done - especially the "Circle of Life" sequence with all of the distance shots of the animals converging on Pride Rock. In fact I think the 3D worked best during all the musical numbers, the stampede and the final battle. I don't like paying the 3D premium for most movies and would generally only do so for movies filmed in 3D, and I'll opt for 2D instead of upconverts, but I was curious to see how the conversion process works for hand-drawn animation. I'd say very well. BTW, It wasn't the special edition version of the film - no "Morning Report" song.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted September 19 2011 - 08:35 AM

Could you offer any more details, I just don't understand how they did this? How do you take a 2D hand drawn image and make it 3D? Did it look like 2D characters just with added depth? Did it still look hand drawn or did it look more like a computer animated movie? I haven't seen a live action conversion that looked that good so, I'm really curious. Big fan of The Lion King but not sure I want to take a chance on this conversion since the BD comes out in a few weeks.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted September 19 2011 - 08:44 AM

Yes it still looked hand drawn, but with depth. the characters didn't look 2D, they were given depth as well. This link may help explain the process. http://collider.com/...-images/108381/

#6 of 15 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 22 2011 - 03:00 PM

I saw it Monday, to celebrate finally finding a new apartment. It was great to see the film on the big screen, and the 3-D wasn't terrible, and parts of it worked well, but it never transcended its 2D origins.

What I did dislike was the addition of the current Walt Disney Pictures logo with music. Originally, it was silent, so that the loud Swahili chants of "Circle of Life" are supposed to be the first thing you hear. It mars the effectiveness of that moment somewhat.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,257 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 23 2011 - 10:24 AM

I saw it Monday, to celebrate finally finding a new apartment. It was great to see the film on the big screen, and the 3-D wasn't terrible, and parts of it worked well, but it never transcended its 2D origins.

What I did dislike was the addition of the current Walt Disney Pictures logo with music. Originally, it was silent, so that the loud Swahili chants of "Circle of Life" are supposed to be the first thing you hear. It mars the effectiveness of that moment somewhat.

Most of the time I have little concern over the changing of them, usually it's an issue for home release. In this case I agree with you. The chants are the first thing the audience should hear.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 15 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 23 2011 - 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Most of the time I have little concern over the changing of them, usually it's an issue for home release. In this case I agree with you. The chants are the first thing the audience should hear.

This isn't the first time. They removed Pixar's custom logo from all movies that had it, including Toy Story, where it was supposed to fade straight from the blue background to the wall of Andy's room. The 1980s and 1990s Walt Disney Pictures logo seems to be the only one that gets targeted for replacement.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 24 2011 - 02:28 PM

This isn't the first time. They removed Pixar's custom logo from all movies that had it, including Toy Story, where it was supposed to fade straight from the blue background to the wall of Andy's room. The 1980s and 1990s Walt Disney Pictures logo seems to be the only one that gets targeted for replacement.

It's strange how The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company have their original WDP logos replaced, but The Black Cauldron keeps them. I wonder if it's because the first two had theatrical re-releases and TBC didn't?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 03:47 AM

BTW, It wasn't the special edition version of the film - no "Morning Report" song.

Thank you! I've actually had a difficult time finding out which version of the film this was and was just about to ask this very question.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   jessi01

jessi01

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 06:10 PM

I seen it.. This is nice movie and graphics are damn awesome.

#12 of 15 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 04 2011 - 03:39 PM

http://www.thewrap.c...c-mermaid-31542

It's interesting; I doubt Beauty and the Beast will do all that well since the 3D Blu-Ray has just come out. Meanwhile, how are they going to pull off a 3D Little Mermaid?

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,006 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 04 2011 - 03:44 PM

I doubt Beauty and the Beast will do all that well since the 3D Blu-Ray has just come out.

I thought the same thing at first but I kinda doubt that the number of people with 3-D capable TVs will really make a big dent in its grosses.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 04 2011 - 03:59 PM

I saw the 3D Lion King on my home set this evening, and thought the 3D was surprisingly effective. Beauty and the Beast is next up...no, I won't be venturing to the theater to see it.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   DannoCee

DannoCee

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 08:30 AM

I've heard mixed reviews. Some good, some not so good. I'll have to get in touch with my inner child find out for myself!