What's new

Lion King 3D - Whose Seen It? (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I saw it on Friday with my daughter, who loves Lion King and wanted a chance to see it in a theater. She would have rather seen it in 2D though. I really thought they did a great job with the 3D conversion. Many of the scenes were beautifully done - especially the "Circle of Life" sequence with all of the distance shots of the animals converging on Pride Rock. In fact I think the 3D worked best during all the musical numbers, the stampede and the final battle. I don't like paying the 3D premium for most movies and would generally only do so for movies filmed in 3D, and I'll opt for 2D instead of upconverts, but I was curious to see how the conversion process works for hand-drawn animation. I'd say very well. BTW, It wasn't the special edition version of the film - no "Morning Report" song.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Could you offer any more details, I just don't understand how they did this? How do you take a 2D hand drawn image and make it 3D? Did it look like 2D characters just with added depth? Did it still look hand drawn or did it look more like a computer animated movie? I haven't seen a live action conversion that looked that good so, I'm really curious. Big fan of The Lion King but not sure I want to take a chance on this conversion since the BD comes out in a few weeks.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yes it still looked hand drawn, but with depth. the characters didn't look 2D, they were given depth as well. This link may help explain the process. http://collider.com/the-lion-king-3d-conversion-images/108381/

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw it Monday, to celebrate finally finding a new apartment. It was great to see the film on the big screen, and the 3-D wasn't terrible, and parts of it worked well, but it never transcended its 2D origins.

What I did dislike was the addition of the current Walt Disney Pictures logo with music. Originally, it was silent, so that the loud Swahili chants of "Circle of Life" are supposed to be the first thing you hear. It mars the effectiveness of that moment somewhat.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MatthewA said:
I saw it Monday, to celebrate finally finding a new apartment. It was great to see the film on the big screen, and the 3-D wasn't terrible, and parts of it worked well, but it never transcended its 2D origins.

What I did dislike was the addition of the current Walt Disney Pictures logo with music. Originally, it was silent, so that the loud Swahili chants of "Circle of Life" are supposed to be the first thing you hear. It mars the effectiveness of that moment somewhat.
Most of the time I have little concern over the changing of them, usually it's an issue for home release. In this case I agree with you. The chants are the first thing the audience should hear.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Most of the time I have little concern over the changing of them, usually it's an issue for home release. In this case I agree with you. The chants are the first thing the audience should hear.

This isn't the first time. They removed Pixar's custom logo from all movies that had it, including Toy Story, where it was supposed to fade straight from the blue background to the wall of Andy's room. The 1980s and 1990s Walt Disney Pictures logo seems to be the only one that gets targeted for replacement.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
MatthewA said:
This isn't the first time. They removed Pixar's custom logo from all movies that had it, including Toy Story, where it was supposed to fade straight from the blue background to the wall of Andy's room. The 1980s and 1990s Walt Disney Pictures logo seems to be the only one that gets targeted for replacement.
It's strange how The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company have their original WDP logos replaced, but The Black Cauldron keeps them. I wonder if it's because the first two had theatrical re-releases and TBC didn't?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Greg Kettell said:
BTW, It wasn't the special edition version of the film - no "Morning Report" song.
Thank you! I've actually had a difficult time finding out which version of the film this was and was just about to ask this very question.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/disney-announces-3d-re-release-slate-beauty-and-beast-nemo-monsters-inc-mermaid-31542

It's interesting; I doubt Beauty and the Beast will do all that well since the 3D Blu-Ray has just come out. Meanwhile, how are they going to pull off a 3D Little Mermaid?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw the 3D Lion King on my home set this evening, and thought the 3D was surprisingly effective. Beauty and the Beast is next up...no, I won't be venturing to the theater to see it.

DannoCee

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Conto
I've heard mixed reviews. Some good, some not so good. I'll have to get in touch with my inner child find out for myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks