Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How should I connect? Surround pre-outs or dedicated Surround system ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   dabakc

dabakc

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 08:16 AM

Hi all, please give your advice/experience! I'm building a new surround system (again, this time for myself) but already have a nice stereo system. Should I A: use the 2channel amp section of my integrated + existing speakers for front channels?- meaning I'd have to turn on this additional integrated for movies/games/tv etc. or B: set up a discrete surround system (not utilizing existing 2channel integrated/speakers) with additional front speakers (not using my nice stereo components)? BTW- I do not plan on spending more than $1000 on the surround receiver therefore the sound quality would never match that of my existing 2channel stereo. Has anyone had experience with "A" pros/cons?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,325 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 15 2011 - 02:43 PM

I had to deal with a similar set of questions a while back.  No experience with option "A", so can't advise on that route.  I really believe the way to go in combining good stereo with home theater is replacing the amp with a good modern A/V receiver... and  I totally understand your thinking that the resulting sound quality won't match that of your existing system.  It would be helpful to know what that system consists of.  What are the two speakers and amp, and what stereo sources (records, tape, etc.) do you play?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   dabakc

dabakc

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 04:03 PM

My integrated is an Accuphase 180watts/channel. and acoustic energy floor standing speakers. CDplayer is currently just a panasonic DVD player which will soon be upgraded to a PS3 (not that that makes any difference lol). I am considering an external DAC in the future however. Here's my amp: http://www.accuphase...ys/e-407_e1.htm