What's new

How should I connect? Surround pre-outs or dedicated Surround system ? (1 Viewer)

dabakc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
Hi all, please give your advice/experience! I'm building a new surround system (again, this time for myself) but already have a nice stereo system. Should I A: use the 2channel amp section of my integrated + existing speakers for front channels?- meaning I'd have to turn on this additional integrated for movies/games/tv etc. or B: set up a discrete surround system (not utilizing existing 2channel integrated/speakers) with additional front speakers (not using my nice stereo components)? BTW- I do not plan on spending more than $1000 on the surround receiver therefore the sound quality would never match that of my existing 2channel stereo. Has anyone had experience with "A" pros/cons?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I had to deal with a similar set of questions a while back. No experience with option "A", so can't advise on that route. I really believe the way to go in combining good stereo with home theater is replacing the amp with a good modern A/V receiver... and I totally understand your thinking that the resulting sound quality won't match that of your existing system. It would be helpful to know what that system consists of. What are the two speakers and amp, and what stereo sources (records, tape, etc.) do you play?

dabakc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
My integrated is an Accuphase 180watts/channel. and acoustic energy floor standing speakers. CDplayer is currently just a panasonic DVD player which will soon be upgraded to a PS3 (not that that makes any difference lol). I am considering an external DAC in the future however. Here's my amp: http://www.accuphase.com/historys/e-407_e1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks