Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Audio on older TV shows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 14 2011 - 07:41 PM

One thing I noticed about older TV shows, especially from the 70s and 80s is that if you listen carefully, especially on a home theater system, you can faintly hear the voice of one of the actors talking, shortly before we actually see him or her talking. What's all that about?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 01:57 AM

Could the shows you are watching have been converted from mono to stereo?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 02:05 AM

No, my thought is that it had something to do with the magnetic reel-to-reel tape recorder, the norm for recording audio on TV shows back in the day. This is not a complaint, it's just an observation I noticed. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Notice how in this episode of Mr. Belvedere, during the fadeout at 10:23, you can hear George faintly say "ballet", and then when you see him on camera, you actually see him say it.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted September 15 2011 - 08:17 AM

It's called "print-through." When reel tapes haven't been played, at least fast-forwarded beginning to end, for a long time, the audio signal leaks through to adjacent layers of tape. You don't hear it once the person starts talking because the much stronger signal drowns out the ghost. Most likely, these videotapes have sat undisturbed for years, possibly decades.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 24 2011 - 08:16 AM

I noticed this on MASK and was wondering about this. Thanks everyone!