What's new

Audio on older TV shows (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
One thing I noticed about older TV shows, especially from the 70s and 80s is that if you listen carefully, especially on a home theater system, you can faintly hear the voice of one of the actors talking, shortly before we actually see him or her talking. What's all that about?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Could the shows you are watching have been converted from mono to stereo?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
No, my thought is that it had something to do with the magnetic reel-to-reel tape recorder, the norm for recording audio on TV shows back in the day. This is not a complaint, it's just an observation I noticed. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Notice how in this episode of Mr. Belvedere, during the fadeout at 10:23, you can hear George faintly say "ballet", and then when you see him on camera, you actually see him say it.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It's called "print-through." When reel tapes haven't been played, at least fast-forwarded beginning to end, for a long time, the audio signal leaks through to adjacent layers of tape. You don't hear it once the person starts talking because the much stronger signal drowns out the ghost. Most likely, these videotapes have sat undisturbed for years, possibly decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks