Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Title: Contagion (2011)

Tagline: Nothing spreads like fear

Genre: Drama, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Release: 2011-09-08

Runtime: 106

Plot: As an epidemic of a lethal airborne virus - that kills within days - rapidly grows, the worldwide medical community races to find a cure and control the panic that spreads faster than the virus itself.

I wanted to like "Contagion" more, as it features Steven Soderbergh at the directorial helm, and an Oscar-studded cast of winners and nominees. Overall, I think the script was too briskly paced, without as much background details to ground the story of a viral outbreak that threatens to reach pandemic levels. There are many players in the story, and the film just bounces from subplot to subplot (or character groupings) until it finally concludes. I didn't like the musical score, it tended to make the film feel too euro-pop-ish, public access station-ish at times, which didn't help things. If you're a germophobe, this film won't help you with that condition. It'll make you think twice about touching any object out in contact with the general public. I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You're much kinder then I'd be. It's a film that could be surmised as a new-Outer Limits episode or the "results" section of "The Stand" or a different take on the Andromeda Strain.. I don't know, by the time we were about 1/2 way into it, I realized the characters were not very compelling and the story kept bouncing around making me care about them less.

There isn't a very cohesive narrative that grabs you and the drama falls flat.

On your scale, I'd say a C. Maybe a rental.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I probably was kinder than usual (I almost gave it a C+). One more thing that bugged me about the movie, it's not shot on film, so to my eye, the production values looked much cheaper in terms of the look of the movie, it had that Movie-of-the-week video look to it in many scenes.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I liked it overall (and I liked the score, too). They were going for realism, which is actually somewhat refreshing for a Hollywood movie. The cast did a great job. The myriad story arcs did serve to limit the drama, though. I think it would have worked much better as a TV miniseries than as a feature film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's "Traffic" with germs. Enjoyable movie but not as good as it could/should have been. Agree that it would've worked better in a longer format - it just crams in too many characters/situations for many of them to work. The one with Marion Cotillard felt especially weak...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Excellent movie. I loved it. It deliberately lacks oversized characters or big major events. It simply takes a scenario -- what if an epidemic on par with the 1918 flu pandemic happened today? -- and plays it out as realistically as possible given the constraints of the movie format. It's chilling because it starts like the sort of virus we've seen with SARS and the swine flu, and then escalates so much further. The movie maintains its deliberate pacing even as events start to go terribly out of hand. Unlike most horror movies, the boogey man here is very real, and it's probably only a matter of time.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's a race against time. The next pandemic vs. scientist's efforts to create a universal flu vaccine. I for one am interested in seeing this movie. I know (and like) Soderbergh's style, so I may be kinder than most towards this film. This is a nice reminder for me to schedule my flu shot though...

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Who has seen this movie since the new coronavirus outbreak? I saw this movie when it was released and I remember liking it very much, liked the music and the ending.

I'm planning to watch this again soon because of the current news. I feel like this movie deserved better recognition. It was way in advance especially because of its storytelling and realism. Do you know any other movies better than this about the subject matter? It will be interesting to see how it stands out today.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I rewatched it just about a week ago, it is even better against the current Corona scare, I think. I also like that it is an ensemble movie, and that Soderbergh is not afraid to let the big names die, some of them pretty early in the movie.
Another movie to watch about a similar subject would be Outbreak, with Dustin Hoffman.

I plan to screen this for my friends at my yearly movie/dinner night, coupled with Side Effects, anoher Soderbergh, also with Jude Law, and also about the pharma business.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It’s better in my opinion. But more of a drama as opposed to the action film that Outbreak is.

Definitely.

And I'd hesitate to call one better than the other because they're pretty different. "Outbreak" is silly popcorn fare, whereas "Contagion" is a more sober account.

I think both are flawed but interesting movies...

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
We watched this again a couple of weeks ago. It's a good flick.

Side note: I wish people would quit freaking out about the corona virus. We're not all doomed, despite what the media is spewing.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
We watched this again a couple of weeks ago. It's a good flick.

Side note: I wish people would quit freaking out about the corona virus. We're not all doomed, despite what the media is spewing.
Well, while we're not all doomed to die, I think we're pretty much all doomed to get it, sooner or later ...

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks