Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TCFHE Press Release: The Liam Neeson Film Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,744 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 09:48 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 13 2011 - 10:59 AM

Certainly not trying to down grade the talents of Mr. Neeson, we get a great collection of 10 of his films from Fox, but can't get the remaining Tyrone Power, Betty Grable or Alice Faye titles.  If only the Golden Age of DVD lasted a couple years longer.  Sigh.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,444 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 11:50 AM

Lame, I say. Are any of these debuts? This is what the catalog market has come down to on DVd at the studio level, rehashes and repackagings...

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,535 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 13 2011 - 12:37 PM

Pretty much, yeah. The studios' combined logic seems to be - "Hey, let's put our existing films into fancy new box set collections! People will buy them!". Evidently people must, otherwise they'd stop re-releasing the same films over and over.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 01:09 PM

Well, I'm not exactly overwhelmed by this collection, however if Rob Roy is remastered, I might give it some thought.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,444 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 02:53 PM

"... if Rob Roy is remastered, I might give it some thought." As if...:)

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 13 2011 - 03:25 PM

Seems like they are digging deep into the MGM vault for some of these titles.  I guess what I mean is that in both HIGH SPIRITS and THE BOUNTY, Mr. Neeson is far down the cast list, especially HIGH SPIRITS.  Can I take a guess that this is the complete work of Mr. Neeson for Fox and MGM?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,535 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 13 2011 - 04:24 PM

I'd hardly call "High Spirits" a Liam Neeson film. His role is definitely supporting.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 15 2011 - 05:54 AM

No Schindler's List?

Not worth it, at all...

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 15 2011 - 07:25 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by battlebeast [url=/t/314752/tcfhe-press-release-the-liam-neeson-film-collection#post_3850894]  SCHINDLER is a Universal Picture and this just covers the MGM (Orion) and Fox years.  Yawn

This sure is a let down from the usual Fox end of year collections.  I remember Ford At Fox, Mel Brooks-Blu, Planet Of The Apes-Blu, and the great Murnau, Borzage and Fox sets.  Last year's Kazan set was some what a let down with all the re-issues.  za'ee  

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 17 2011 - 04:05 PM

IMHO, if you want to put out a person's ouvre in a nice set, you have to give ALL of their BEST works, and yes, releasing PREVIOUSLY UNAVAILABLE films is very nice. The ONLY films in the Neeson set that I see worthy of an ouvre set are Kinsey and Rob Roy.

I have the Murneau and Borzage at Fox set (I paid $200 for ONE FILM (Grumble)), and although they did a great job, I still don't like the ungodly packagaing they choose...

I have the Mel Brooks set on DVD, Was something different about it on Blu?

was The Twelve Chairs new to DVD when the set released?

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users