What's new

3D Blu-ray Review THOR 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Thor was a real test for Marvel – particularly regarding the cast of superheroes to be assembled for next year’s much anticipated Avengers film. Following the average response – and scrambling reboots of the Incredible Hulk character on the big screen, and the surprise success of Iron Man and Iron Man 2, Thor’s success was  by no means a given. The seeds sewn in post credit sequences of the Avenger organization and other superheroes (typically starring Samuel L. Jackson in his Nick Fury role) have helped provide the right amount of connective tissue for the Avengers film, but Thor is perhaps the character with the hardest time fitting into the universe that Marvel has been carefully assembling over the past few years.

Thor 3D

Studio: Paramount Pictures
Year: 2011
US Rating: Rated PG
Film Length: 109 Minutes
Video: AVC MPEG-4 1080P High Definition 16X9

Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio English 6.1, English 5.1 Dolby Digital TrueHD, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese

Release Date: September 13, 2011

Review Date: September 9, 2011

“You are unworthy of your title, and I'll take from you your power! In the name of my father, and his father before him, I cast you out!” 

The Film

3.5/ 5

In the grand spectacle that is the gold adorned realm of Asgard – the legendary figure of Thor (Chris Hemsworth), along with his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), serve their father Odin – ruler of Asgard (Anthony Hopkins) and protector of the the realms. Thor, wielder of the mighty hammer Mjollnir, is next in line for the throne, but on the day he is to take the mantle of leadership, a small and unsuccessful breach by one of the Warrior gods’ former enemies (the Frost Giants) exposes Thor’s arrogance, ego and proclivity to hammer first, ask questions later. Disappointed and angered by his lack of wisdom and misguided engagement of the enemy – which threatens to reignite a deadly war, Odin banishes Thor to the mortal realm where the gods had once been worshipped protectors – earth.

Crashing to earth, Thor is discovered by three scientists, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), Darcy Lewis (Kat Denning) and Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård). Stripped of his powers, he must prove himself worthy of his weapon and reclaim his place atop the throne of Asgard – but the secretive agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and a treacherous threat from within his realm threaten everything.

Thor is a character with a grand back story. The regal and deity-like realm of Asgard, the warrior son, the wise king, and the complicated father-son relationship and conniving afoot in the governing family are traits that align keenly with the deep well with which William Shakespeare happily dipped his pen. Perhaps this more than passing association helped trigger the somewhat surprise hiring of Kenneth Branagh as director. With several film adaptations of Shakespeare’s work, including Love’s Labor Lost, Much Ado About Nothing, the sumptuous Hamlet and the incredible Henry V, Branagh would seem very well qualified. But Thor takes place as much in the present and modern world as it does in the lofty Asgard, and unlike Henry V or Hamlet’s action, Thor would be a visual effects laden action feast, with complicated visuals and far more kinetic and robust set-piece adorned; elements that don’t naturally spring Branagh to mind. It reminds me of the critics of 1991’s Backdraft, an action film about firefighters that was equal parts family drama, directed by Ron Howard. Critics lamented what that film would have been in the hands of a skilled action director like James Cameron. It was unfair criticism or Ron Howard at that time, but I’m noy sure it’s too far from off the mark in Thor. The visual effects laden Asgard sequences are fine; beautiful in fact, and the battle between Thor and the Frost Giants is very well handled, but the rest of the action and the plot upon which these scenes stand fail to stand out.

Branagh’s true moments of glory in Thor come not in the mythical realm and storyline, but in the very human and modern scenes in the dusty New Mexico town, where Portman and Skarsgård’s scientists – along with Kat Denning’s nicely played droll intern – play proxy for the audience in making sense of the magical and mythical presence of the very out of place Thor. The banter and interplay, though brief, work nicely and show off Branagh’s ease with people and a little humor on screen. This sense of fun continues with the Character of Thor as he, for example, walks into a Pet Store and boldly demands a horse.  

Thor is entertaining action and was a worthy start to the 2011 Box Office marathon. It would be the first of an inordinate amount of Superhero films making their way to multiplexes – finishing the race as the top earner (followed closely by fellow avenger, Captain America). But there are snags in the finished product. The opening moments of Thor are well played, but the plot moves far too quickly through the establishment of Asgard and its importance as a realm to the Thor mythology; the relationship between Thor and his slim brother Loki is merely glanced upon, and later in the film, as Thor begins to find his footing in the earthly realm, the charismatic hero pledges allegiance all-too easily and quickly to the ‘good people” of S.H.I.E.L.D. It is clear that Thor had a great deal of ground to cover – both for itself and for Marvels universe, but what we miss are the moments and the time between characters that would have sewn a deeper appreciation and understanding in broader audiences of who Thor is, how he will fit into the earthly superhero group, and why we should care.

Watching Chris Hemsworth bring a larger-than-life energy to the brash and arrogant Thor is one of the film’s genuine bright spots. He certainly has the build and swagger the Norse God character requires and the action intuition to pull off the hammer wielding moves and occasional flights. Natalie Portman’s Jane Foster is relatively straightforward. The occasional school-girl giddiness she imbues her character with doesn’t suit the practical scientist role too well, but Portman is a superbly talented actress and one can see greater and deeper exposition in sequels being served well by her talents.  Anthony Hopkins bears the weight and responsibility of Odin wonderfully. I am not well-versed in the Thor mythology, but I cannot see anyone else inhabiting the broad and gruff shoulders of Asgard’s ruler as well as him. Tom Hiddleston is perhaps the most Shakespearian of all the characters in Thor. A man who lives in Thor’s shadow, is slight of build but sharp of tongue, and who both revels and reviles at being underestimated. Hiddleston gives the Loki character a modicum of likeability once his intentions are revealed, and he pulls from the audience just enough sympathy to give his character a complicate edge. Very well played!

In Asgard, Thor had a posse, a trio of defenders into which he gladly stormed into battle.  Sif, played by the lovely Jaimie Alexander (see HTF Interview here), Volstagg (Ray Stevenson) and Fandral (Josh Dallas). These characters are underutilized in the overall scheme of things, but again, the talent is there and the possibility ripe for Thor’s band of merry men (and woman) to grow in the sequel. Finally, mention should be given to Idris Alba, the outstanding actor from BBC’s magnificent TV series Luther, who took on the role of Heimdall. His deep, serious voice and presence was grave enough to succeed in the role, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, one hopes he is given a great deal more to do in the follow up.

I should also note that Agent Coulson, played by Clark Gregg, is given more presence in the story and he’s absolutely the right choice for the role.

The Video

4/5

3D Implementation: 3/5

Paramount’s first foray into 3D blu-ray is sadly a mixed bag. Presented in 1080p High Definition - MPEG-4 AVC video codec with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the image quality is generally tight, but as a film converted to 3D during post production, fans of the 3D feature at home will be somewhat disappointed without tempered expectations. Thor was not filmed with the added dimension in mind and it shows in the staging of most Asgard scenes and in the lighting choices (and even perhaps the night setting) for a number of the film’s moments. 3D tends not to do so well in dark scenes – separation between objects and the separation between for- and background dissolve all too easily – and that is quite apparent here.

The scenes set in the bright New Mexico desert tend to provide the greatest sense of depth and demonstrate the 3D factor extremely well. Scenes between actors, particularly in the hospital or lab setting, aren’t staged for the additional dimension and thus will likely give many pause to wonder if the 2D version would have been the better investment. Fortunately, this release comes with the 2D version on its own disc (unlike other 3D releases where you can select via the menu the version you would like to see) + a 3rd disc containing the digital copy.

Besides the 3D factor disappointing, the image quality is good. Asgard’s shiny, museum like aesthetic are bold and bright in this high definition medium, but the New Mexico scenes offer the most clarity (even if the color palette is less diverse). Skin tones are generally natural, black levels mostly solid, and the level of fine detail is good but not reference quality.

Here’s hoping Paramount’s next entries into the 3D Blu-Ray library – Captain America and the deluxe version of Transformers: Dark of the Moon show off more of what I know Paramount can deliver – after all, there recent blu-ray releases have been of very high quality.

The Sound

4.5/5

With an available English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, the sound is thunderous. As you might expect, this summer action blockbuster is abounding with deep rattling bass, very low frequency effects, and an amazingly active surround sound design. Patrick Doyle’s orchestral score is plenty bombastic (though hardly one of his better efforts), but is well represented in the audio. Dialogue is issue free, directional effects effective and the crash, smash, bang and wallop of the action sequences, particularly with the clangs and death rays produced by the Destroyer (the big silver mono-eyed robot) as he vanquishes targets in a blaze of targeted fire. This is a very crisp audio with dimension of its own, warm where it needs to be and precise and cold when the setting requires.

The Extras

3.5/ 5

Disc One:

2D Version of the film

Audio Commentary: Can there ever be something wrong with listening to a great British director talk about his work. Not at all, and Branagh proves that he is an engaging and intriguing discusser of hi works with this informative and likeable commentary track.

Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant (4:00): The short, written by Eric Pearson (Post-production manager on Ratatouille) that seeks to connect the films via a conversation regarding the Hulk.

7 Featurettes:

• From Asgard to Earth (19:40): The grand throne of Asgard appeared at the 2010 Comic-Con – I wish I had taken the time to stand in line and see it closer, but this look at creating the Asgard realm gives me a better look at it all.
  • Our Fearless Leader (3:20): Something to make Kenneth Branagh feel good.
  • Assembling the Troupe (4:44): A quick look at the casting choices.
  • Hammer Time (6:15): A look at Thor’s famous weapon and the desire to be as faithful and accurate as possible.
  • Creating Laufey (5:30): Colm Feore is almost unrecognizable as the Ice Giant, but this quick peak into layering on the make-up reminds us that there’s a great actor in there.
  • Music of the Gods (2:00): Very brief look at Patrick Doyle, frequent composer collaborate to Kenneth Branagh
  • A Conversation (2:20): A disappointingly short conversation between co-producer Craig Kyle, Stan Lee, and co-writer J. Michael Straczynski.

Road to the Avengers (3:00): Footage from Comic-con and the Marvel superhero films that connect to the upcoming Avengers film.

11 Deleted Scenes (24:30): A number of deleted scenes here, with some extensions of remaining scenes, add a little to the relationship dynamic between the characters, available with optional commentary from director Kenneth Branagh.

Theatrical and Teaser Trailers

Disc 2

3-D Version of the film

Disc 3

DVD feature film and digital copy

Final Thoughts

Beyond introducing the superhero Thor to audiences, this film had one quite lofty task, resolving the universe of the real inhabited by Tony Stark and his Iron Man creation, with the magical and mythical elements of Thor’s. I guess we can say it succeeded with this simple line delivered by Thor to Jane:

“Your ancestors called it magic...but you call it science.

I come from a land where they are one and the same”.

Here is hoping that when Thor is fighting side by side with Captain America, the Hulk, Iron Man and the others, that his convergence of science and magic make sense – though I suspect given the enemy the Avengers are reported to do battle with, it may be the grounded Superheroes that will be asked to cede ground to the more magical elements of the Marvel universe. 

Overall (Not an average)

3.5/5

Neil Middlemiss

Kernersville, NC

This one’s for you, Ernie – my wonderful “Dog” of Thunder!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the review Neil. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Not sure if I'll spring for the 3D based on your review, it depends on the price different. Great interview BTW!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Neil! Sounds like an eventual blind buy for me.

But I think I really need to know more about Ernie...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess the limited thing is pretty smart, because it makes you want to get into gear with these purchases. I don't even have a 3D TV, but I can picture myself trying to find it on eBay a few years down the road--even if it's inferior to the 2D presentation.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw thor in 3d at the theatre. it was very weak 3d. . I agree that captain america & transformers had better 3d. I heard it was better in 2d. I never saw it. I have to warn you. this movie is very loud. louder then any michael bay movie.. that is hard to beat.:cool:
Jacob

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
"The Consultant," to my knowledge, wasn't directed by Joss Whedon. Unless the actual disc says differently, he's not credited in the version that I've seen.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have a guilty buy always for super hero movies.... So I have it pre-ordered.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
You know, you're right - Joss directed the post-credit sequence, not sure why I credited him with directing the short film. I'll correct. Thanks.

Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/314670/thor-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3849121
"The Consultant," to my knowledge, wasn't directed by Joss Whedon. Unless the actual disc says differently, he's not credited in the version that I've seen.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ernie was my Lab/Chow mix who passed away on Labor day - Ernie had a thunderous bark and when I watched movies up too loud, he would look at me like I was disturbing his Zen time...
0e16f35a_Mountains0807326.jpeg

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/314670/thor-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3849087
Thanks, Neil! Sounds like an eventual blind buy for me.

But I think I really need to know more about Ernie...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neil:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Ernie had a close relationship. It's wonderful that you've got such specific moments to remember him by.

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but I always remind people that lose a pet that the only reason it hurts so much is because the two of you meant so much to each other.

All the best.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm sorry to hear that, too, Neil. I lost my baby dog (a nearly 17-year-old Golden/Spitz mix) three weeks ago this Tuesday. It's still not easy. As Jerry Jeff Walker wrote about Mr. Bojangles' dog, "After twenty years, he still grieves."

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hmmmm, this one looked pretty bad from the trailers I watched, that coupled with the poor casting of the lead girly-man I may give it a red-box rent at some point but am in no hurry to do so. The pretty-boy Thor just doesn't work for me, they should have got a rough matcho guy instead.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ron - I think you'll find that Hemsworth is far more convincing than initial outward appearances may have indicated to you. I thought he was spot on.

Originally Posted by Ron-P /t/314670/thor-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3849581
Hmmmm, this one looked pretty bad from the trailers I watched, that coupled with the poor casting of the lead girly-man I may give it a red-box rent at some point but am in no hurry to do so. The pretty-boy Thor just doesn't work for me, they should have got a rough matcho guy instead.

And I wanted to say thank you to all who offered kind words regarding Ernie!!!!!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I said at the time I saw this in the theater, in 3D, that I looked forward to seeing it on blu-ray, in 2D. Still do.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched the 2D Blu-ray this evening. It looks pretty great overall and the LFE in the audio mix is off the charts in places. A very nice HD presentation.

This being my second viewing of the film I found that I liked it more than I did when I saw it during its theatrical release. There are certain things that are simply silly, but overall I think that Branagh and company did a pretty good job bringing difficult material, the world of the Norse gods, to the big screen. Two things though that bothered me on my first viewing still pulled me out the film on this go-around:

1) Natalie Portman. I think she was a bad casting choice for the role of Jane Foster. Didn't work for me at all.
2) The New Mexico scenes were hobbled by the small scale of the town. Every time it was on-screen it looked exactly like what it was - a movie set. And what was with the constantly wet streets? It doesn't rain THAT much in New Mexico, really. Maybe they were trying to keep the dust down? Reminds me of a visit I made to Ted Turner's Armanderas Ranch south of Truth or Consequences back in the '90s. The ranch manager was driving us around the backcountry in a beat-up Chevy Suburban and the fine dust was just cascading down the windows and collecting in drifts on the sills. He said, "You know that New Mexico is called the Land of Enchantment, right? See that shit piling up on the doorframes? That's Enchantment."

All-in-all though I thought Thor was a pretty good ride, and Hemsworth totally pulls it off. Looking forward to seeing more of him and his character in The Avengers.

I hope they don't eff it up.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss /t/314670/thor-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3849627
Ron - I think you'll find that Hemsworth is far more convincing than initial outward appearances may have indicated to you. I thought he was spot on.
Well Neil, you were "spot on". I really liked it, so much so I'm adding it to my collection.

My only gripe with the film was, what I like to call, the "George Lucas special effects", very cartoony. Compared to other Marvel films this one's effects were poorly done, not realistic at all. I sure hope this doesn't become a trend with Marvel.

As for the casting, yes, Hemsworth was good, much better than the trailers made him out to be and the rest of the cast equally as good.

But boy-o-boy was the audio rock'n. I recently move my sub and found I need vibration dampeners for my front projector. Seriously, I heard nothing yet my clothes were vibrating, it was awesome.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Can someone tell me why this movie, 3 years after this review, still costs $37 on Amazon? Thor 2 is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks