What's new

Trouble with upgrading my home theatre (1 Viewer)

JMan152

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Ursin
Hello, About a year ago I built a home theater in my living room and it is great! However I recently purchased from a used Barco R350 Iq Pro series as a major upgrade. http://www.barco.com/en/downloads/specsheet/1325/iq-r350.pdf It has a DVI input (no HDMI input) and I have a DVI/HDMI cable running from my Blu-Ray player to my projector however I cannot get an image. The projector works fine with the other inputs but I cannot get the DVI. Here is what I found out via trouble shooting. The Blu-ray can output fine on the standard video cable and I have adjusted the output to 1080i from 1080p fine for the HDMI cable. When I turn on the Blu-ray the start up screen shows up and then the screen goes blank on the HDMI/DVI cable to the projector this is the only image I can play I cannot get the menu to show. When I switch the bluray to other formats that are not compatible with the projector the projector goes to the default logo screen. However when the bluray outputs 720p or 1080i (acceptable inputs for the projector) the screen is blank except for the start up screen. Any suggestions? I have looked through the entire manual of the projector and all the menu options looking for something. Thanks so much! ~JP

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
There were older DVI jack implementations that only passed analog video signals. The three formats that have been available include DVI-A (analog only), DVI-D (digital only), and DVI-I (integrated analog and digital). You should contact Barco. What do you consider this projector a "major upgrade" from? Judging from the spec sheet, I hope you didn't pay much for it.

JMan152

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Ursin
I paid $300. So far it is an amazing upgrade. The previous projector was an old Epson Powerlite with 800x600 resolution. Even without using the better cables the difference is worth it. Now it's a matter of getting the HD signal to the projector. I noticed that these projectors are priced at between $7000-$20,000, yet on craigslist and ebay they sell around $300-$1000 any idea why that is? I'm looking into the DVI-A thing now.

JMan152

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Ursin
According to the manual the projector can handle DVI-A and DVI-D from the manual: DVI input: The digital video connectivity standard that was developed by DDWG (Digital Display Work Group). This connection standard offers two different connectors: one with 24 pins that handles digital video signals only, and one with 29 pins that handles both digital and analog video. My next thought, I read that some HDMI receivers are designed for computers and not BluRay or DVD players. The refresh rates are different. I'm wondering if I should look for a computer that has either HDMI or DVI as an output...

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Does the manual say if it will accept an HDCP handshake? In its day it was an expensive projector. Today it can be bested for far less money.

JMan152

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Ursin
The manual does not mention HDCP anywhere. I am going to assume that this means that the projector is NOT HDCP compatible. This might be why the start up screen shows up and then once the bluray player is going everything goes black. The projector has a 5 component input which will accept a 3 component input which my blu ray player also has. My understanding is the 3 component will also carry the digital signal at HD quality (1080i which is the max that my projector will put out) I looked online and saw nothing about 3 component carrying HDCP. Do you think this will work? Thanks!

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Component video is an analog video format that is not quite as good as HDMI. The industry is just starting to produce some Blu-ray Players that will only pass 480p via component video connections from certain flagged BD titles. Hollywood has been pushing this transition since the beginning of HD digital media. Component video does not use HDCP copy protection. You should be able to view 720p and 1080i from most BD players over component video.

JMan152

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Ursin
Ok so I can get a signal from the bluray to the projector with the three component video cable but now there is a vertical jitter in the image. I'm wondering if this is due to a 60 Hz signal making it into my wire and I need to return the cable I got and purchase a higher quality cable.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
I doubt it's the cable, but you could try that. Did you switch your player between 720p and 1080i to see if you get a more stable image?

JMan152

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Ursin
I did switch the player settings around a bit. The 720p provided a more stable image however these weird lines would appear along the top of the screen. I'm still in the process of changing various settings in the projector and the player hoping to get it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks