What's new

"The Apartment" Blu-ray exclusive? Sept 13th (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Amazon/Blu-ray.com lists "The Apartment" (1960) coming to blu-ray on this Tuesday - but from a third party. Anyone kow if this is a Best Buy or Walmart Exclusive?

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Whatever happened to THE APARTMENT Blu Ray. Amazon sent me a message saying it is not available and cancelled my order .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by kagemusha98

Whatever happened to THE APARTMENT Blu Ray. Amazon sent me a message saying it is not available and cancelled my order .

Don't know except they pulled it from the release schedule, though, MGM never did officially say anything about releasing it.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
This finally may be coming out! Looks like a Best Buy exclusive for Jan. 24th.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-5757924962459927562&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=the+apartment+blu-ray&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

This adds to MGM's already announced Jan. 24th slate of Annie Hall, Manhattan, Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound. I can hardly think of six titles in their catalog I would be more excited about, not to mention all in one day... If anyone can find out who approved this, I would like to send that guy or gal a fruit basket or something.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Patrick Mason

... I can hardly think of six titles in their catalog I would be more excited about, not to mention all in one day... If anyone can find out who approved this, I would like to send that guy or gal a fruit basket or something.

I agree, this is a hell of a one-day lineup, but let's hold the fruit basket until we see what's on the discs. MGM has been hit and miss with their catalog Blus, so much so that I'm not buying any of these until I read the reviews. Here's hoping for 6 hits.

peterjanni

Grip
Real Name
Peter Janni
Picked up The Apartment today along with a few other titles such as Annie Hall and Manhattan. I'd classify this as a solid upgrade over the dvd. The old dvd appears washed out in appearance with visible print damage compared to this. I can now actually appreciate the black and white photography. Audio is 5.1 DTS-HD with no mono option in English. Extras includes a commentary, trailer and two featuretes both in hidef, one on the making of the film profiling Billy Wilder and the other on Jack Lemmon. Both are worth checking out with run times of 30 minutes and 12 minutes respectively. Got these from a warehouse so I don't know if they're exclusive to a retailer. Annie Hall and Manhattan have zero extras from the back cover, not even a trailer. All three films are on BD50 discs. Annie Hall and Manhattan feature DTS-HD soundtracks in mono. The packaging on the back of the box has both MGM and Fox logos. Correction on Annie Hall and Manhattan extras. Trailers are included but that's it. Also, I don't own the collector's dvd edition of The Apartment just the old bare bones edition.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Does Best Buy usually discount their exclusives or do we need to wait for it to go to Amazon?

$20 bucks is a bit much, esp when Amazon had it for $10 last Sept (only for Amazon to cancel after ordering)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I placed a store pick-up pre-order last week with Best Buy. I got an E-Mail yesterday saying available for pick-up on 1/24 but the website now shows not available at the store? Strange. Is this another Best Buy exclusive only available in limited quantities? I wonder if these is indeed a copy waiting for me at the local store? UPDATE Guess what.....I checked with store and they said the ready for pick-up notice was sent in error. They do not have any copies of "The Apartment" and don't know when it will be available. They offered apology and said their online computer system was in error. They did not send follow-up E-mail to say not there.....if I had driven in without calling to verify, I would not be a happy camper.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I was super, super annoyed at Best Buy this morning. I checked *last night* and ANNIE HALL and MANHATTAN were both listed as "In Store Only." I went there this morning, waited for them to open, went in and found... nothing. Someone checked a computer and in the past 24 hours they've gone to "Online Only," and no stores in my district (and presumably anywhere) got them. I literally had a guy check for me last week and it was confirmed for in store availability. I'm assuming the rest of today's MGM releases are exactly the same situation, as I didn't see any of them, either. He said "We can order it for you... it'll take five to ten business days." No thanks, Best Buy. This is the last time I miss a new release like this because you refuse to stock it. This has happened to me several times in the last year with titles like EVIL DEAD and EVIL DEAD II as well. They are "Online Only" at first and then the actual stores get them a month or two later. Forget it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Very disappointing about Best Buy. It sort of defeats the purpose of exclusivity. During the previous exclusive offerings, they offered $9.99 sales for the first week. I guess the writing on the wall might have been during the last exclusive sale in which they only had 1 copy of each exclusive title on the shelves (whoever came in after me must have been pissed...). Though the retailing of this item is rather strange--it seems available at other online retailers, but not Amazon?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Best Buy did not have it at the local store. Indeed, it shows as UNAVAILABLE at every store in the San Francisco area. I ordered online. It represents a major commitment of time and effort to obtain these exclusive titles. Far from enticing someone to go to Best Buy or become their customer, it simply annoys. If they are going to tie up a title in a dealer exclusive: -- advertise it -- have your staff know about it -- display it on your shelves

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If it is exclusive to anyone, it is exclusive to Target, which has them in stock online, but I can't say for the retail stores.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I don't believe it is exclusive since I saw another thread where someone found copies at their local Sam's Club for 16.99, and Barnes & Noble for the retail price of course. I think it comes down to FOX / MGM's distribution of the title.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dick said:
If it is exclusive to anyone, it is exclusive to Target, which has them in stock online, but I can't say for the retail stores.
The Target app listing for this says it is online only.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought a copy today at Barnes and Noble. They were selling it at retail ($24.99) but there is a buy two, get one free sale going on there, so i picked up HOOk and PEE WEE'S GREAT ADVENTURE and paid roughly $14.00 apiece for the three of them. THE APARTMENT looks absolutely wonderful! Great contrast, film-like grain, and a complete absence of the aliasing and moire problems we had had even with the DVD. All extras have been carried over.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
The Best Buy computer system sent me a reminder to pick up my order of "The Apartment" but the store says they don't have it. They told me that the online order system is screwed up. UPDATE: I went to the store to claim the purchase. After two employes spent about 10 minutes, I was told that they only received one copy and an employee purchased it instead of picking it for my pre-order. They placed another order to be delivered to my home by Feb 3-9. So much for trusting Best Buy with pre-orders.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Given all the resources and expertise on this forum, it is still a treasure hunt to find many of these catalog titles. The studios whine about low sales yet are making it almost impossible to purchase their product. I tried everything. I think that I have ordered it from Best Buy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
rsmithjr said:
Given all the resources and expertise on this forum, it is still a treasure hunt to find many of these catalog titles. The studios whine about low sales yet are making it almost impossible to purchase their product. I tried everything. I think that I have ordered it from Best Buy.
Your not sure if you bought it from BB?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks