Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 of 44 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 06:06 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

FROM DIRECTOR MICHAEL BAY AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCER STEVEN SPIELBERG, PARAMOUNT PICTURES’ $1 BILLION GLOBAL HIT BLASTS OFF ON BLU-RAY AND DVD

“The Best Action Movie Ever”* Prepares for Launch on TRANSFORMERS FRIDAY, September 30

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. (September 9, 2011) – Spectacular action, stunning visual effects, non-stop thrills and fan-favorite characters including OPTIMUS PRIME, BUMBLEBEE and Sam Witwicky rocketed Transformers: Dark of the Moon into the stratosphere, with the latest installment of the wildly popular TRANSFORMERS franchise surpassing its predecessors to earn over $1.1 billion at the worldwide box office.  From Paramount Pictures in association with Hasbro, the breathtaking film redefines the scale, scope and emotional impact of what a blockbuster can be with the ongoing epic story of the mighty AUTOBOTS in a thrill-packed adventure that the whole family can enjoy.  Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment, the film will debut in a Blu-ray/DVD Combo with a digital copy and on standard DVD on Friday, September 30, 2011, followed by a deluxe Blu-ray and DVD release, including a Blu-ray 3D, in the coming months. 

“For fans who can’t wait, the Blu-ray release in September will deliver an awesome ride with the movie in stunning 1080p high definition and a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack that was personally overseen by our phenomenal supervising sound mixer just for the Blu-ray,” said director Michael Bay.  “As you know, we put a lot of effort into the 3D experience for the theatrical release and I want to make sure we get it right for home viewing—and that process takes time.  So stay tuned for an even more incredible release that will include the film on Blu-ray 3D and loads of bonus features.”

From director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg, in association with Hasbro, Transformers: Dark of the Moon explodes with high-octane action when a mysterious event from Earth’s past erupts into the present day threatening to bring a war to Earth so big that the TRANSFORMERS alone will not be able to save us.  Stars Shia LaBeouf (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull), Josh Duhamel (Life As We Know It), Tyrese Gibson (Four Brothers) and John Turturro (The Good Shepherd) have returned along with a host of new stars including Patrick Dempsey (“Grey’s Anatomy”), Frances McDormand (Fargo) and John Malkovich (Beowulf).  The film also features the voices of Leonard Nimoy (“Star Trek”) and Hugo Weaving (Captain America: The First Avenger) and introduces newcomer Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.

Disc Specifications

The Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD and—in a first for Paramount Home Entertainment—English 5.1 Discrete Dolby Digital and English 2.0 Discrete Surround Dolby Digital tracks, each of which was individually mastered to ensure optimal sound for the home entertainment experience.  The disc additionally features French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. 

The DVD in the Combo pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Discrete Surround, French 5.1 Surround, Spanish 5.1 Surround and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  The digital copy is presented in English 2.0 Stereo with no subtitles.

The single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Discrete Surround, French 5.1 Surround, Spanish 5.1 Surround and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

Epic Marketing Support

The Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu-ray and DVD debut will be supported by a massive marketing and promotional campaign befitting the mega-hit status of the franchise.  In addition to a multi-million dollar advertising blitz spanning television, print, radio and online, a stellar array of allies has joined forces with Paramount Home Entertainment to transmit the AUTOBOTS’ message to all inhabitants of the globe.

Hasbro will host a “Roll Out In PRIME Style” sweepstakes in the U.S. giving entrants the chance to “Win a Ride to School” with the AUTOBOTS!  The grand prize winner will be picked up by BUMBLEBEE and transported to school where OPTIMUS PRIME will be waiting with TRANSFORMERS toys and products in his trailer.  Details are available at www.TransformersPrimeStyle.com.

Also in the U.S., Hostess will feature TRANSFORMERS images on millions of packages and will have thousands of displays in grocery and convenience stores across the country.  The company will also host a branded “Transform Your Treat” sweepstakes that gives consumers the chance to win a variety of valuable prizes.  Additionally, Hostess will offer consumers a $4 rebate on the purchase of Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu-ray or DVD with purchase of two (2) Hostess products (additional details available athttp://www.hostesscakes.com).  Energizer will offer coupons good for $5 off the Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu-ray or DVD at retailers throughout the U.S. via special displays and packaging.

In Canada, 250,000 Kernels Popcorn Shakers have been outfitted with Transformers: Dark of the Moon promotional branding in support of a consumer sweepstakes tied to the home entertainment release. The Popcorn Shakers will be available at major retailers across the country.

Synopsis

A mysterious event from Earth’s past threatens to ignite a war so big that the TRANSFORMERS™ alone will not be able to save the planet. Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) and the AUTOBOTS™ must fight against the darkness to defend our world from the DECEPTICONS’™ all-consuming evil in the smash hit from director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg.

About Hasbro, Inc.

Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a branded play company providing children and families around the world with a wide-range of immersive entertainment offerings based on the Company’s world class brand portfolio. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, video games and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its customers through the strategic leveraging of well-known and beloved brands such as TRANSFORMERS, LITTLEST PET SHOP, NERF, PLAYSKOOL, MY LITTLE PONY, G.I. JOE, MAGIC: THE GATHERING and MONOPOLY. The Hub, Hasbro’s multi-platform joint venture with Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) launched on October 10, 2010. The online home of The Hub is www.hubworld.com. The Hub logo and name are trademarks of Hub Television Networks, LLC. All rights reserved.  Come see how we inspire play through our brands athttp://www.hasbro.com. © 2011 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

About Paramount Home Entertainment   

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

TRANSFORMERS: Dark of the Moon

Street date:                September 30, 2011

Runtime:                     154 minutes

SRP:                            $19.99 (Single-disc DVD)

$29.99 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo with digital copy)

U.S. Rating:                PG-13 for intense prolonged sequences of sci-fi action violence, mayhem and destruction, and for language, some sexuality and innuendo

Canadian Rating:       PG for violence and coarse language

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 44 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 06:28 AM

I really like how the studio and Bay are very forthcoming that there is another edition in the works, rather than a surprise double dip just a few months later. I'll be picking both up.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 44 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 07:50 AM

The one question I need answered is: does the special edition coming out later feature an extended cut of the film, or the same theatrical release?

I don't care about the extras, but if a different version of the film is coming, then I can wait.  I saw the film in the theaters, and it seemed very much like several portions of the film had been chopped.

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#4 of 44 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 09 2011 - 08:32 AM

Does this mean I'll have to pay for the 3D disc if I want the extra features? Lame.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 44 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,792 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 09 2011 - 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina 

I really like how the studio and Bay are very forthcoming that there is another edition in the works, rather than a surprise double dip just a few months later. I'll be picking both up.

That pretty much ensures I'm not even going to think about getting this one for at least a year.  Great demo disc, but I can't see myself rewatching Dark of the Moon over and over again.

#6 of 44 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 04:53 PM

Skipped this in the theater so I've got it pre-ordered.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#7 of 44 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted September 09 2011 - 07:50 PM

Skipped this in the theater so I've got it pre-ordered.

Why would you skip it in the theater (where you can watch it for less money) so you can watch it at home? DVD's are for watching after you see the big screen movie, not in spite of it. Anyway, I'll try to get it on DVD in this version, as a buy or as a rental.

#8 of 44 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 353 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted September 10 2011 - 12:36 AM

WTF is "Discrete Dolby Digital" and "2.0 Discrete Surround Dolby Digital"? It makes it sound like these are new formats or something. Why would you ever choose these if you had a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack? And is this going to be like the early Warner Blu-rays where it default to Dolby Digital and you have to manually select the lossless track?
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#9 of 44 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 12:49 AM

For those who want the bare-bones version it is available for preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 44 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:01 AM

Why would you skip it in the theater (where you can watch is for less money) so you can watch it at home? DVD's are for watching after you see the big screen movie, not in spite of it. Anyway, I'll try to get it on DVD in this version, as a buy or as a rental.

There are all kinds of reasons to wait. For one thing, unless you're going by yourself, it's not cheaper. For another, if you have a decent setup at home, the viewing experience can be superior (especially considering the potential hassles of dealing with inconsiderate audience members). Also, the timing may just be inconvenient (recently this film was playing locally at 7pm and 10pm on Saturday and Sunday only and I just couldn't swing it).
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 44 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:08 AM

Good grief, Amazon wants $31.49 for the bare-bones disc? What is this, 2002?

#12 of 44 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:09 AM

Why would you skip it in the theater (where you can watch is for less money) so you can watch it at home? DVD's are for watching after you see the big screen movie, not in spite of it.

I disagree. For a number of reasons, not the least of which is increasingly talkative audiences (or maybe just an increasing sensitivity to them on my part), I generally prefer watching movies at home on DVD or Blu-ray. If there's a movie I REALLY want to see, I'll generally do so in the theater, but only because I don't want to wait, not because the theatrical experience is superior than the at-home one in any particular way.

#13 of 44 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:29 AM

Count me in as a part of the "wait for BD" crowd. Don't get me wrong, I live near some of the best theaters in Los Angeles, and I can appreciate an event movie that is being show in those theaters. But increasingly, behavior and decorum in movie theaters has declined to the point where it can interfere with the experience. Also, traffic in L.A. is a pain, and with my hectic work schedule, I just don't have the time to fight traffic and be beholden to the theater's showtimes. At home, I have a 1080p pristine transfer and lossless audio, a completely controlled environment, the ability to stop the movie in case I need a bathroom or food break, and I watch it on my own schedule.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#14 of 44 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,231 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:33 AM

Amen Carlo. For "questionable" films I'll usually Netflix or Redbox them for my first viewing rather than commit to a BD purchase that I may end up regretting. Even if I didn't, by the time you drive to the multiplex, purchase a theater ticket, and buy popcorn and a drink, you've almost dropped the $20 you'd spend buying the Blu-ray anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than watching a good film in a good theater, but I'm a lot more picky these days about where I drop my hard-earned cash. And I can't count out the "miscreants in the audience factor" either. It seems like common courtesy is very far from common these days, and watching a first-run film at the cineplex can be a profoundly negative and frustrating experience.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#15 of 44 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:44 AM

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person who is willing to say "Shut up!" to people in a movie theater? You're be surprised how well it works and I haven't gotten my ass kicked... yet. :)

#16 of 44 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:46 AM

the ability to stop the movie in case I need a bathroom or food break, and I watch it on my own schedule.

For me, this is a huge part of the appeal of watching a movie at home.

#17 of 44 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,231 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person who is willing to say "Shut up!" to people in a movie theater? You're be surprised how well it works and I haven't gotten my ass kicked... yet. Posted Image

You're not the only one, but having to resort to that just ruins the whole thing for me. And in my experience the silence is often temporary. It's not long before the perps are right back at it. No thanks.

Anyway, regarding Dark of the Moon, it'll definitely be a rental for me even though I own the first two Transformers films. Not a fan of #2.

#18 of 44 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,231 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

For me, this is a huge part of the appeal of watching a movie at home.

That and the beer selection, which makes having the ability to pause the movie even more important. Posted Image

#19 of 44 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 08:06 AM

while I am not a transformers fan nor a michael bay fan either. I saw the first one. it was okay. I skipped part 2 and saw it at home. I did go and see part 3 mostly because of the 3d. I liked it better then 1 and 2. the 3d was decent. I also had problems with noisy kids. I had to tell them to be quiet a few times. I also had to tell their parent/guardian that took them.. that they need to learn to behave in the theatre. I also have a great home theatre with 7.1 and a 3d set up. I understand that point of view. I still like going to the movies in the theatre. I saw many films this summer which is very rare. lately I had not gone to that many. last year I had some personal stuff going on. I didnt have the time to do it. my best audience this summer was when I saw lotr: fellowship of the ring ee on the big screen. no texting and silent. it was beautiful. the audience was really into it. they were paying attention to the movie. Jacob

#20 of 44 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 13 2011 - 08:11 AM

You're not the only one, but having to resort to that just ruins the whole experience for me. And in my experience the silence is temporary. It's not long before the perps are right back at it.

No thanks.

I don't really like doing it either (given that you might be doing something that could result in me looking like a raving lunatic or them talking louder just to prove a point or them cracking my head open for telling them to shut up) but when I've felt that I had to do it, the following silence has always lasted for the rest of the movie. Hell, I got applause one time.