“If I am the Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so... If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.”
IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT PROUDLY ANNOUNCES THE HIGH-DEFINITION DEBUT OF
LON CHANEY’S SILENT MASTERPIECE!
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Featuring Three Versions Presented Together for the First Time;
Coming November 1st
CHATSWORTH, CA -- He was the “Man of a Thousand Faces.” Generations of filmgoers the world over have been thrilled by his portrayals that showcased – and more often than not, empathized with – the shadows of human nature. And now the makeup artistry of a true cinematic pioneer can be seen in high definition! On November 1st, Image Entertainment releases the Lon Chaney classic Phantom of the Opera for the first time on Blu-ray™! The Blu-ray™ features 3 versions of the film – assembled together for the first time in a single release -- including a brand-new high definition digital transfer from the 35mm negative, plus Gaylord Carter's famous theatre organ score, released for the first time as recorded in stereo! MSRP is $39.98, and pre-book is October 4th.
Produced by renowned silent film authority and preservationist David Shepard, the Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray™ includes the following versions:
- Brand-new HD digital transfer of the 24fps version of 1929 reissue (Academy Aspect Ratio; 16x9 pillar-boxed) from the 35mm negative, with tinted sequences including the Bal Masque sequence in two-strip Technicolor. Featuring a brand new music score by Alloy Orchestra, plus Gaylord Carter’s famous theatre organ score, released for the first time in stereo;
- Brand-new HD transfer of 20fps version of 1929 reissue with tinting, Technicolor and hand-coloring. Symphonic score composed by Gabriel Thibaudeau, performed by I Musici de Montreal, conducted by Yuri Turovsky with Claudine Cote, soprano presented in stereo, along with a new full-length audio essay by Dr. Jon Mirsalis;
- Standard definition presentation of the original 1925 release from a 16mm tinted source copy. Accompanied by a new piano score by Dr. Frederick Hodges.
As in all his films, Chaney designed the now signature makeup for the Phantom, employing techniques – like pining his nose with wires – that not only expressed the outward physical pain of the characters, but inflicted great personal discomfort on the actor bringing them to life.
The Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray™ also contains the following bonus features:
- Theatrical trailer
- Photo Gallery
- The complete Phantom Script
- Phantom Souvenir Program Reproduction
ABOUT IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT
Image Entertainment, Inc. is a leading independent licensee and distributor of entertainment programming in North America, with approximately 3,200 exclusive DVD titles and approximately 340 exclusive CD titles in domestic release and more than 450 programs internationally via sublicense agreements. For many of its titles, the Company has exclusive audio and broadcast rights, as well as digital download rights to over 2,100 video programs and approximately 400 audio titles containing more than 6,000 individual tracks. The Company is headquartered in Chatsworth, California. For more information about Image Entertainment, Inc., please go towww.image-entertainment.com.
# # #
The Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray™
Genre: Horror, Mystery/Suspense, Silent, Feature Film, Based on Stage Play
Rating: Not Rated
Languages: English, Silent
Audio: PCM Stereo
Street Date: November 1, 2011
Pre-Book: October 4, 2011
Length: 362 minutes