Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any good home theater system with satellite speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   alepag

alepag

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hello there, After starting doing some research on how to bring my 8-year old Bose Lifestyle up to speed with the new technologies available (meaning throwing away the Bose DVD player/receiver and recycle the Bose cubes and sub-woofer with a new receiver) I soon realized I was in trouble. The more I read online trying to find an adapter to connect the sub to a standard receiver the more I realized I was stuck with this Bose system unless I got rid of it overall. During these online readings I also learned that, all other things equal, big speakers will always sound better than those satellite speakers. However, I do like having the speakers mounted on the wall instead of having some big boxes by the TV, and that's even more important to me for the rear speakers, which with my current system I have on stands right against the back of my sofa. I would not like to have big speakers right in the back of the heads of people sitting on the sofa. So the big question for you, knowledgeable people, is: is there a good system out there (speakers+sub-woofer) that uses satellite-type speakers? I'm well aware that "good" is very vague so I'm relying on your personal opinions as people that know much more about this than me. I just don't want to end up with a lemon just because I liked the fact that satellite speakers don't take that much space. I'd also love to hear some recommendations for receivers. Again, I know nothing about this but my idea would be to be able to have at some point the TV, blu-ray, iPod TV, and perhaps a small music server connected to the receiver without having to use 6 different remote controls to turn things on. Thanks in advance!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 07 2011 - 01:41 PM

A solid budget would really help. As with everything else, prices can go from modest to outrageous. Polk, Infinity and Klipsch are well known speaker brands that offer smaller speakers. Here's a few you may not have heard of. Mirage (buit the sub is pretty small and more like a bass module than a true subwoofer). http://www.vanns.com...8/mirage-mx-5-1 Orb Audio. I don't care for them myself but others really like them http://www.orbaudio....CFQh0gwod5BP1ug Definitive Technology Pro 60.6 http://www.orbaudio....CFQh0gwod5BP1ug The Cinema 600, 800, and 1000 are evn better. Energy Take Classic http://www.amazon.co...5445400&sr=1-21 Boston http://www.vanns.com...ci_src=14110944 HSU Ventriloquist http://www.hsuresear...ucts/vt-12.html These types of speaker systems are better in a smaller room. And it's best to get the speakers seperate (if possible) and get a different sub like the: BIC V1220 http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=303-432 BIC F12 http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0015A8Y5M Allison http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=309-177
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 08:26 PM

I think you can get decent sound with satellites. I have Harman/Kardons in my main system and they sound pretty good for movies. Not as much for music. Still, bookshelfs will almost always sound better. But you can mount most bookshelfs to the wall, and with the thinner design of many of them it doesn't look bad at all. Take a look at Axiom M22s. They have a great mount (at $50 each!), and paired with a sub they will sound great. (Axiom also has great bipole surrounds.)

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   alepag

alepag

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 06:09 AM

Thank you so much guys! This info definitely gives me a good starting position for my research. To answer your questions/comments: Gene C: I was hoping I could get something decent for around $800-$1000 (assuming I can sell my Bose Lifestyle 35 for more than a couple of bucks); the issue is that the budget should also cover the receiver. If the speakers you recommend are over this budget I'll still try to find them on ebay or craigslist to be able to cover the cost of the receiver as well AI.Anderson: Most likely I'd use the system to listen to music more than to watch movies, so I'll probably concentrate on your suggestion on the Axiom M22s instead of the Harman/Kardons. I'm sure their sound is quite ok for music as well, but since this is a "almost one in a lifetime" investment I want to try to get best for music playing within my capabilities. Again, thank you both for your input.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:26 AM

For $800-$1000 I'd look at a factory refurb receiver so you can put as much of the budget towards the speakers/sub as possible. Ac4l.com handles Onkyo and Marantz with Dakmart selling Denon. Buying used electronics on ebay/craigslist can lead to some real good deals but it can also be very risky. Having said that, most of my stuff was bought that way. So far I've been lucky but I guess I've felt the risks were worth taking. Audiogon.com is a safer way to buy used stereo equipment but it's usually more expensive since people selling there (as I do) have a better idea what they stuff is actually worth and there are fees and commissions which are sometimes at least partly passed on to the buyer in the form of higher prices. Ebay does have it's new Buyers Protection Plan which I've used a couple of times myself. It actually works. In any event, you should be able to find something more than acceptable, even a satillite based system, for that amount of money.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   alepag

alepag

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 11:39 AM

Thanks again for the valuable advices!! This really helps a lot.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   derrickdj1

derrickdj1

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hello, I have two satellite systems in addition to a tower system. The satellites sound good if the room is not to large. I have a Klipsch 500 HT ($599.00) and Infinity satellite system (do not remember the price). I also have a Klipsch tower system (V series). Don't get a satellite system if the room is large and the speaker will be mounted above 8-9 ft. I have a large room 20 X 19 and 10 ft. ceiling. I used the satellites in that room and liked it, but I felt I was not getting the real bang out of the movies and music. Book shelf speaker are a nice alternative because, they have a more fuller sound than satellites and are small. Book shelf and satellites need a sub. The sub with the Klipsch and Infinity satellite systems were both very good. Just do not expect the performance to be anything near tower systems. With that said, think before you buy and not want to upgrade soon after your purchase.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   alepag

alepag

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for your advice. My room actually is an open space where living room and kitchen are all in one big area. To make matters worse this is a two-story house and that particular space is open all the way to the ceiling. So even though I didn't want to have bulky speakers in the back of the sofa it seems that I don't have too many options given how open this space is. The more I talk to you guys the more I realize this is not going to be easy when it comes to the rear speakers. It looks like I'll have to have big (perhaps tower) speakers way in the back where the kitchen is and disguise them in a way that they don't look out of place. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all your insight and will welcome any further advice you have for me. In my ignorance on this topic I naively thought this was going to be easy just by buying some "magic" speakers with the size of a satellite speaker and the performance of a tower speaker. I'm really glad I checked wiuth you guys first. Thanks to all of you

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   derrickdj1

derrickdj1

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like you have an open concept design like I have with my family room open to the kitchen. This can be challenging for a satellite system to give adequate coverage of the room. I have used a 7.1 setup to replace in Klipsch HT 500(5.1 system) that I used in this large room. This system was ok, but lacked the wow factor in movies and depth in music . Here is a 7.1 setup that replaced it: Pioneer SC 35 receiver Klipsch VF 35 Towers-Mains Klipsch VF 14 Front Height Klipsch VC 25 Center Klipsch VS 14 Surrounds (mounted on side walls) Klipsch SW This setup gives great coverage and superior sound. I do not remember your budget, but this setup can be well done with a Sony avr and Bic Speakers. Acoustic Audio has nice SW for under $200.00. You can even use old speakers and stage your upgrade over time. The upgrade thing is a disease in the HT arena, lol. I now run a 9.1 setup. I added Klipsch VB 15, surround back speakers on stands and Acoustic Audio SW RW 15 with the above setup. This is excellent for movie and music. Good luck and happy shopping!