Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

need advice on speakers and subwoofer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   kevinw123

kevinw123

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 03:26 AM

I'm new to HT. We recently moved into a house with a 13x20.5 media room, ceiling height is 10ft. I read through some threads on this forum. Here's what I'm thinking to get Marantz SR5005 receiver axiom speakers, center channel vp150, floor standing m60, surrounding speaks qs8 SVS sub PB12–NSD Would this work? Any other suggestions? Budget is around $3500. Thanks a lot! Kevin W

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, that'll "work". (It's gonna sound freakin' outstanding!) I'm jealous as I found out about Axiom after I set up my main system and now have M22s in my secondary room. I'm sure you'll love the M60s, and the SVS has a great rep around here. To my mind the only other sub you might consider is a Hsu VTF-3; but if you've already decided on the SVS, no reason to second guess yourself.

#3 of 5 ONLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,070 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted September 09 2011 - 03:52 PM

Holy cow! That's alot of speaker in a small room!!! I have almost the same setup in my smallish room ( at little bigger than yours). If I had it to do over I'm sure I would go with M22's instead of M60's. With a great sub like the SVS you are getting, there's no reason to get the towers. Don't get me wrong, the M60s will work in your room and, IMHO, will sound great!!!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   kevinw123

kevinw123

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks. I think I'll go with m22 then. :)

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 11:54 PM

I don't know enough to disagree, but if money were not an issue I think I'd go with the M60s (assuming this is not just a theater setup; that is, you'll be using it for music only listening too). The M22 won't disappoint, but that's not a small room and the added punch of the larger dual drivers PLUS the 5.25 driver would liven up the sound stage. You might want to post on the Axiom site, the users there are very honest (they don't over promote the top of the line-up) and many of them have done a lot of these kinds of comparisons. 9/12: Actually, there is an active thread on this very topic: http://www.axiomaudi...422#Post354422. The opinion is about 60/40 in favor of the M60s.