What's new

Community: Season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
John Goodman in a onesie may be the greatest thing ever. He's going through some stuff, you know.
Such a crazy fucking episode. Awesome. Everything with Goodman was insanity. Wonderful insanity.
"We saved Garrett."
(...Did we?)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
The Dudemeister as the Subway "Corpo-humanoid"! This episode was fantastic with many great plots/subplots.

I think I'm going to start using that term (Corpo-humanoid).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The interaction between Britta and Subway 2 was pretty good. I like where the John Goodman sub plot is going, I'm glad they are bringing it in again.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Top-notch whoresmanship, Britta!"
"Pierce!"
"Oh, sorry, whoreswomanship. I forgot we're in the '90s."
The Subway rep's reactions to the audio sex-tape forced me to pause the show 'till I could catch my breath.
If it hasn't already happened, I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of campuses across the country start up Community-inspired blanket fort events in their dorms.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
My favorite exchange was almost a throwaway:
Britta: "Corporate America has destroyed love!"
Annie: "Again?"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So...it looks as if things are breaking down behind-the-scenes, between Dan Harmon and Chevy Chase.
According to Huffington Post, Chevy's days on Community seem to be numbered.
Pretty much all the details can be found in the article, as well as in the accompanying links. I'm just surprised it took this long to come to a head. Neither side acted particularly classy here, however.
It was wrong of Chevy to pull the stunt he pulled, but it was still wrong and dickish of Harmon to pay Chevy back the way he did. Make no mistake, Chase appears to have a well-earned reputation for being difficult to work with, and I've no doubt Harmon's been frustrated with him for a long time.
At the same time, Harmon's own Tumblr account indicates he's an extremely high-maintenance, functioning alcoholic who also likely isn't a picnic to work with/for, either. I think Harmon's a genius, with regard to writing and plotting. Really. He's proven himself to know exactly what the fuck he's doing with sitcom and storytelling tropes, interweaving meta-commentary with organic in-story events with breathtaking ease.
But everything I've read by and about him makes me think he's an insufferable prick in real life. Yet another brick in the "genius-has-its-price" wall, I suppose.
I'm honestly surprised Chevy's lasted this long. It really wouldn't be hard to write him off the show -- in fact, after S2's finale, I thought he could have easily departed on a grace note. If something similar happens in the S3 finale, it might make sense for him to bow out. Then come back for graduation, of course.
Just have Bill Murray play Pierce next season, and act like it's always been Murray**. It can be Community's version of the two Darrens on Bewitched. It would never happen, but if it did, it would be about the biggest "fuck-you" to Chevy possible.
**Of course, Abed would notice something is different, but wouldn't be able to put his finger on it...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
It really wouldn't be hard to write him off the show -- in fact, after S2's finale, I thought he could have easily departed on a grace note.
When it aired, I was wondering if that was the direction they were headed.
While I don't know them so it's unfair of me to say, I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon are both assholes and both have very valid points about each other. That being said, I'd be surprised if once everyone's egos and tempers have time to calm down between seasons that Chase isn't still on the show next year (assuming there is a next year).
Of course now if the show gets cancelled, the internet conspiracy of "Chevy's antics got the show cancelled" will run rampant.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm not putting too much weight on that interview. It comes off as maybe he got into it with Harmon and that was his mindset at the time. IIRC, when the show was yanked last year there were reports that Chevy was actually pretty upset about it while on the set.

But Pierce is a bit of an odd character in the show. Last season he was incredibly unlikeable and, generally, doesn't have much to do other than throw in an out-of-touch joke. I'd hate to see him gone, but if he did leave I doubt the show would suffer much from it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
"He's going through some stuff"?
Am I the only one thinking the Vice Dean may have been replaced by his evil-self? Pony tail and goatee?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
What a classic tonight.
So many things had me rolling on the floor but I'm still getting a chuckle with Shirley "Big Cheddar" Bennett.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Keith David, motherfuckers.
I don't even know where to start. Just incredible.
  • PILLOWTOWN
    (For the sake of conceptual symmetry.)
  • "It will come to be known as THE STUDY ROOM KERFUFFLE."
  • "Weren't you on The Cape?" "...No."
  • The All-Tomato.
  • "Leonard likes this post" made me spit up my drink. Love how Leonard is a veteran of the North Korean Army.
  • Does "English Memorial" look like Dan Harmon to anybody else?
  • "How To Make Your Wars Worldlier."
I'd like to point out how perfectly Chang (who is literally psychotic) was used. He had two appearances, killed, and got the hell out of the episode.
Also, the pledge-drive.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
7d96b9a1_tumblr_m21f4th8NH1qa4e2fo3_250.png

06923c66_tumblr_m21f4th8NH1qa4e2fo1_r1_500.gif

16ff9b0f_tumblr_m21f4th8NH1qa4e2fo5_250.png

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This show continues to push the boundaries of the half-hour sitcom.

Great stuff.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
5a14e5be_tumblr_m21d9ystiS1r4kxexo1_500.png

050da1aa_tumblr_m21d9ystiS1r4kxexo2_500.png

So yeah, Pierce hurt his middle finger. I'm going to guess he injured it from continuously flipping off Dan Harmon?
It makes me wonder if the "Iron Man" suit made of pillows was assigned to Pierce as a way for the cast and crew to not deal with Chevy for a couple of days? They probably just had to get someone else from the crew to put it on, and then have Chase record his lines in post.
I enjoyed how they referenced the voiceovers by others towards the end -- Hanks was "too expensive." But I would have loved it if they had been able to get some of the voice actors from Burns' Civil War to read the characters' lines (Sam Waterson as Jeff Winger, obviously) and had Shelby Foote as a pillow-historian (and they could've brought back Larry Cedar as the resurrected Cornelius Hawthorne playing the resurrected Foote).
Also, I really wanted to see confused, pillow-bombarded Garrett.
d644ee78_250x343px-LL-4543710d_tumblr_m20liudpFH1qz5tl9o2_250.jpeg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
113f120a_245x150px-LL-9449b9d1_tumblr_m21drx4anJ1qf5nebo2_250.gif

2b8c18d8_245x150px-LL-8cdb200d_tumblr_m21drx4anJ1qf5nebo4_250.gif

47244a22_245x150px-LL-f5f07707_tumblr_m21drx4anJ1qf5nebo6_250.gif

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale's campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor who discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This was one of the best things I've seen on TV in a while. We watched the first 7 mintues or so and then rewound it to watch it again. Brilliant!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The Pillow-Man Schematic descriptions:
  • Gluteal Pillow-Plating Repels Assaults From the Rear
  • Astronaut Diaper for Relief During Long Battles
  • Shin Guards Can Easily be Reconfigured for Use as Chaps for R&R
  • Custom Orthopedic Feather-Lined Battle Boots Provide Comfort and Traction
  • Face Mask Conceals Blanket-Eating Warrior Within
  • 600-Thread-Count 100% Cotton Pillowcase for Breatheability
  • Extra-Thick Memory Foam Reactive Armor Cushions Cushion Concussions
  • The Pillow of Thor
  • Built-In Wifi Hotspot for Tactical Communication and Bowling Championship Scores
  • As Specified, Generous Room in the Crotch
  • Heavy-Duty Shin Guards Protect Against Pre-Teen Mercenaries
e2f8f74a_tumblr_m22xrtFjKd1qlfn3ro1_250.gif

One thing this episode made me realize: It's going to really suck for historians in the future when, assuming they survive somehow, text messages, Tweets, emails, and Facebook status-updates are the only primary sources available.
Also, the doctor's name/signature at the bottom of Pierce's medical report?
"Mr. Dr. Benjamin Rosenrosen, M.D., L.L.P."

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Josh your devotion to this show is....uh....devout....if Community were a girl there would already be several restraining orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks