What's new

please help! :-) I wanna do it right the first time (1 Viewer)

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
So I just bought a new home and in the new home, things are set up for an old tube style 32 inch TV. Here's a pic... I've started making some changes... To prepare for the new set up.... I have the new TV already, it's a Panasonic TC-P65GT30 - LINK It's going through this receiver - Link and a panosonic 3D DVD player that I don't immediately have the model number for. So now I'm putting this together correctly. I still have the wall torn apart and it will be recovered to look sort of like this photoshop (except speakers will be replaced) I'm planning ahead as I don't plan on making changes to this again any time in the next decade or two. I have some questions... What connections should I have in the wall? Obviously HDMI (is two of them enough?) and Ethernet (should I add two or is one sufficient?) should I add any others? HDMI Cables... I haven't seen a single non-sales review that says it's worth spending hundreds on cables. Buy the Monoprice cables, right? For these connections, should I do wall plates i.e. like this link? I'm concerneed that each point of plugging a cable in is another chance for signal to break. Should I just run the cables up to the wall and leave them hanging through a conduit? It'll be behind the TV so it wouldn't be seen. Wall plates would make for a much nicer looking, but in either case, it's out of sight, out of mind. What are your thoughts please? Now's the time I can wire in some speakers. Where should they be placed? How many? I'm planning on doing built in speakers again but I'm not COMPLETELY committed to that. The receiver has 7.1 capability. The home is already wired for 5.1. I'm not planning on changing anything about the rear speakers. Should the center channel speaker be below the monitor for best effect? Is it worth while to add a lower set of front and a higher set of front speakers? Would you please point me to some decent mid-priced speakers? I only have the front wall torn apart so wiring in side speakers isn't what I had in mind, but I'm not completely against that either. The layout of the room esn't exactly condusive for side positioned speakers. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but these are my first questions. Sorry to have so many questions in one place. Thanks so much in advance!!

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
As far as wall plates, I did them with mine and like the look ALOT. I would do the 7.1 setup for sure. As far as speaker placement, side surrounds should be slightly behind you and rear surround should be directly behind you. I think thx.com may have a diagram. As far as speakers, I own def tech. But every ear has different preferences. Klispch is also a nice brand. Hope this helps. add final pics when done.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I did wall plates and really like the look. As far as hdmi, i'm thinking dvd , bluray, and your cable/sat. I would also do 7.1. more and more movies are in that soundfield. Speakers- I like def tech you may want to listen to klipsch as well

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by DrMilhouse

What connections should I have in the wall? Obviously HDMI (is two of them enough?) and Ethernet (should I add two or is one sufficient?) should I add any others? HDMI Cables... I haven't seen a single non-sales review that says it's worth spending hundreds on cables. Buy the Monoprice cables, right?

Congratulations on the project. Keep the pictures coming. You should be really happy with the Panasonic. I would put a single HDMI cable in the wall along with ethernet, and a piece of conduit going from the bottom equipment cabinet to a trim ring covered with a blank plate. Don't forget to install blocking for your mount, or make sure the studs for your wall patch are really tied into the existing wall. Since its for in-wall use make sure you get a CL2 or CL3 rated cable. All HDMI cables from [url=http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm]Blue Jeans Cable are rated for in-wall use. They are essentially the same price as cables from monoprice, but I can vouch for their quality as its what I use. Full disclosure: they are an advertiser.

For these connections, should I do wall plates i.e. like this link? I'm concerned that each point of plugging a cable in is another chance for signal to break. Should I just run the cables up to the wall and leave them hanging through a conduit? It'll be behind the TV so it wouldn't be seen. Wall plates would make for a much nicer looking, but in either case, it's out of sight, out of mind. What are your thoughts please?

I don't use wall plates and don't recommend them when they are behind A/V gear. If they are on a wall location for future use or will be seen I would use them. In your case, I wouldn't. They are another failure point and are expensive. Have them come out of a trim ring and put a nice basic plate over them like something from Midlite. There are other styles and colors including split versions to make it easier to install around cables that are plugged in. When it comes to leaving wire hanging out, leave enough so you can pull your gear out with it attached, or easily access it to plug in and out. This includes speaker wire.

Should the center channel speaker be below the monitor for best effect? Is it worth while to add a lower set of front and a higher set of front speakers? Would you please point me to some decent mid-priced speakers?

I only have the front wall torn apart so wiring in side speakers isn't what I had in mind, but I'm not completely against that either. The layout of the room isn't exactly condusive for side positioned speakers.

There are going to be a lot of different opinions on this and here is mine: It depends. There is nothing worse that people who mount their TV too high so you have to watch it looking up which can give you a lot of back and neck strain after 20 minutes let alone two hours. If putting the speaker below will cause your TV to be mounted too high then don't do it. If you have the room, putting the speaker below isn't a bad idea.

Personally I like Atlantic Technology speakers. They have some fantastic in-walls as well as stand alone speakers. You can also mix and match along their various lines depending on your installation and budget requirements. You could either do in-walls, or Under my Panasonic 65VT25 I used their FS-5000. It is not a sound bar, but a left, center and right speaker in one exterior enclosure. It sounds good and has a surprising amount of separation.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm just going to run cables through a 2 1/2 inch conduit to make room for anything else that may be needed later. All the HDMI should come through the receiver's HDMI Output, so I'm thinking the second is only back up. Ethernet is needed for the TV and with conduit I can add more later. With wall jacks it won't be quite as easy to do that. It's behind a TV and the cons really out weigh the pros of having jacks installed to make it nice where no one will see. So what of the speakers? Should I do a high and low set of fronts? I'm framing tomorrow. Woot!

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Oh... any recommendations on a wall mount? retail store that rhymes with Best Lie wanted to sell me a mount for $200... and a $300 cable... and a $1000 (no stuff) warranty. Wait wut? :confused: Well, it at least would have paid for them to mount it on the wall... I'm not so sure they'd have remodeled the wall to make it happen though. They offered to have someone come and calibrate it for $200... I'll be back for some help on that one I know.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I would recommend a tilt mount for sure given its placement. I think I got a Sanus version.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dmiller68

I would recommend a tilt mount for sure given its placement. I think I got a Sanus version.

Sanus is good. There are four types: flat, tilt, fully articulated and motorized. If you don't need to move it around I agree with David-get the tilt mount. It gives you more install flexibility without a lot of cost. You will want to go to the Sanus website to see which models they recommend for your set.

Don't run your cables in the conduit, run them in the wall since you have it open and save the conduit for something in the future.

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.... So I'm back with more questions and a progress update. It's framed, though I may have to move some studs around to allow for correct placement of the speakers. Here's a pic of progress... I really am curious about this concept of using high and low fronts. At this point I'm planning on it. Please fill me in on best placement of this. In wall speakers have no enclosures. I'm here doing basically new construction, I can do something that would have enclosures if that's better. Should I and if so, are there speakers intended for that type of thing? I got monoprice cables. A less expensive mounting bracket from monoprice as well. I am going to be set up where if I have cable issues, it's not going to be too difficult to replace them. I'll have 3 inch conduit running from an area behind the TV all the way to where my source units are making updates and changes pretty easy in the future. I'm going to be using wall plates. Since they'll be on a 2 gang low voltage bracket located very near the top end of the 3 inch conduit, I'm feeling pretty confident that even if there are issues, making changes after construction is complete won't be a gigantic pain in the rear. Don't mind the placement of the power outlet in the picture. I had originally thought that would be a good place for it since the power for the TV is right there. I've since reconsidered and I'm planning on moving it to the center of the wall. The writing on the studs was there during initial construction and doesn't mean anything. Since I have time to complete wiring to have it ready for dry-wall early next week, I'm here to check in... What am I missing? What can I do better? I have almost decided on these Polk RC85i for fronts. What I can't find is a matching center Channel. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, I'm needing to get signal to a subwoofer. How long is too long for an RCA cable to transmit low signal to a powered sub? The longest I found is 25 feet. I can work with that if needed, but it's not where I want it.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
It doesn't look like Polk makes a in-wall center channel. They recommend a non-in-wall version. So you could use the RC85i on the side for your center potentially.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by DrMilhouse

I really am curious about this concept of using high and low fronts. At this point I'm planning on it. Please fill me in on best placement of this.

In wall speakers have no enclosures. I'm here doing basically new construction, I can do something that would have enclosures if that's better. Should I and if so, are there speakers intended for that type of thing?

Also, I'm needing to get signal to a subwoofer. How long is too long for an RCA cable to transmit low signal to a powered sub? The longest I found is 25 feet. I can work with that if needed, but it's not where I want it.

I'm not sure what you mean by high and low fronts. Do you mean height channels?

Good in-wall speakers have enclosures or optional back boxes. I highly recommend using one or the other. [url=http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=23]Atlantic Technology makes both types, and their models have a swiveling tweeter section so they can be placed horizontally and used as a center channel.

If you had compression tools you could make your own sub cable. In this case the tools would cost more than the cable. Blue Jeans Cable allows you to order a custom length reasonably priced sub cable.

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks man, I'll check out the custom cable. I believe I do mean height channels. Basically speaker placement, not like mids and highs like frequencies, but a lower front and a higher front for placement. I seem to recall that as one of the options of the set up using 7.1 on my receiver. Thanks for the link on the speakers, checking them out now.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
How are you running those speakers? Two different outputs? I know yahama makes receivers that has an front effects out, but not sure if that is what your doing.

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I was going to use two different outputs. As I have 7.1 output on my receiver, this is one of the configurations it can use. I've decided against it at this point. I'm actually basically creating enclosures by dry-walling the back side of the front facing wall between the studs where the speakers will be located. Speakers should be here Monday Woo hoo!

DrMilhouse

Grip
Real Name
Mike
ignore the ugly expanding insulation. I put drywall on the back side to create a sort of enclosure for the fronts and center - that might end up making the volume a little small, but I figured it'd be easier to knock down the back side drywall if it's way too small than it would be to try to decrease the size after the drywall is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks