Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Rocketeer Blu-ray available for preorder on Amazon

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 of 45 OFFLINE   PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 06:59 AM

Sorry, BD guys, but will there be a new DVD release as well? PatH

#22 of 45 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 10:12 AM

Unlikely. It would be nice if the studios would remaster this or, say, RAISING ARIZONA for DVD concurrent with their BD debuts, but where DVD is concerned the studios have pretty much left the catalog business. By the same token the studios rarely create new supplemental content for BD. If THE ROCKETEER was barebones on DVD, look for it to be the same on BD.

#23 of 45 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,069 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 10:25 AM

I'm surprised Disney didn't do one of their usual DVD/Blu-ray combo disc releases for this. They've been pretty consistent with those so far.

#24 of 45 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 01:37 PM

That seems to apply mostly to new releases and animated films. I'm surprised they didn't farm this out to Mill Creek (which, it must be said, did an exemplary job with BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND).

#25 of 45 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 07 2011 - 02:50 PM

Great news!

#26 of 45 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 06:00 AM

I have a bad feeling this won't be included and should be in their archives - it wouldn't take much effort to put on the BD release. If any representatives at Disney are perusing this thread, please include the 1991 documentary special which coincided with the film on the Disney Channel, The Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air, hosted by Billy Campbell. This has not been commercially made available and I've had inquiries in the past asking for a copy. It would nicely supplement the main feature.

#27 of 45 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 07:48 AM

I was at the D23 Kevin Smith-hosted screening in June and know it was recorded-- hopefully this will be on the disc. The quality of the digital print is AMAZING.

#28 of 45 OFFLINE   stephen la

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 07:51 AM

one of my favorites as well. dave stevens creator of the comic, thought the underwhelming box office performance was partly due to the original movie poster. the original poster while pretty cool, didnt tell anyone what it was about, was it a cartoon, live action. etc. he seemed happy with vhs box art, also shown on the dvds and now bluray. I prefer the original movie poster though. hoping for special features too

#29 of 45 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'd say the reason The Rocketeer tanked back in the summer of '91 was because it was released only a week or two before Terminator 2, which is what all the "cool" kids wanted to see.

#30 of 45 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,733 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 08 2011 - 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisCook 

I have a bad feeling this won't be included and should be in their archives - it wouldn't take much effort to put on the BD release. If any representatives at Disney are perusing this thread, please include the 1991 documentary special which coincided with the film on the Disney Channel, The Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air, hosted by Billy Campbell. This has not been commercially made available and I've had inquiries in the past asking for a copy. It would nicely supplement the main feature.

Back in the day The Disney Channel used to do some pretty good making-of specials for their then-current movies; sadly, none of them have resurfaced on any of their releases.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#31 of 45 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 08:16 AM

Back in the day The Disney Channel used to do some pretty good making-of specials for their then-current movies; sadly, none of them have resurfaced on any of their releases.

I can say they've noted my request. I contacted Disney to follow-up ahead of a formal announcement yesterday on the extras, and they didn't have any information for me.

#32 of 45 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,171 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 09 2011 - 04:51 AM

No word on extras, but they confirmed the following:

Street Date

December 13, 2011 

(Direct Prebook: Oct. 18/Distributor Prebook: Nov. 1) 

Release Format: 

1 Disc Blu-ray 

Suggested Retail Price: 

$26.50 (US)/$31.50 (Canada)

Feature Run Time: 

Approx. run time 109 minutes

Rated: 

PG (US & Canada)

Aspect Ratio: 

1080p High Definition/2.35:1

Sound: 

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Languages: 

English and French

Subtitles: 

English SDH and French

#33 of 45 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Adam. As far as I'm concern, Disney has lost a purchase if this remains unchanged. This was a direct tie-in that premeired two days prior to the theatrical release. No reason, whatsoever, to not include it (on any format).

#34 of 45 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Adam. As far as I'm concern, Disney has lost a purchase if this remains unchanged. This was a direct tie-in that premeired two days prior to the theatrical release. No reason, whatsoever, to not include it (on any format).

So you would give up a pristine Blu-Ray release of a wonderful film that's only ever gotten a non-anamorphic DVD release 12 years ago because of THAT?

#35 of 45 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 07:10 PM

Bonus features would be nice, but this is a film that I haven't been able to fully enjoy at home in 20 years- ever since the Laserdisc which had a very unpalatable sepia discolored appearance that I never saw in the theatrical viewings. If the Bd reconciles that. I will be an extremely happy camper. This movie didn't seem like it was going to make it out at all this year- so this news is very welcome to me.

#36 of 45 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 03:52 AM

So you would give up a pristine Blu-Ray release of a wonderful film that's only ever gotten a non-anamorphic DVD release 12 years ago because of THAT?

I'm not really giving anything up and didn't purchase the non-anamorphic DVD. I've said this before, but I'll only consider an anamorphic DVD or Blu-ray if Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air was also finally included. The Disney Channel special has showed signs of deterioration and I had to go through hoops in order to get out a copy to those who've asked; I was barely able to make a backup for myself. And it peaked my interest enough in my youth to even see the film in theaters as I never found graphic novels (or comics) all that appealing. So I like the chance to recapture 1991 with a much better copy of The Rocketeer and Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air.

#37 of 45 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 04:07 AM

The UK DVD was Anamorphic but looked rough in places, the UK Disney Channel HD version looks amazing tho

#38 of 45 OFFLINE   stephen la

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 10:46 AM

Any reviews on this? its coming out tomorrow and was already shipped to me from Amazon. Also it looks like there's no special features. What do you guys think about that?

#39 of 45 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 430 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 12 2011 - 11:24 AM

Any reviews on this? its coming out tomorrow and was already shipped to me from Amazon. Also it looks like there's no special features. What do you guys think about that?

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/28926/#Review

#40 of 45 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,497 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by stephen la 

Any reviews on this? its coming out tomorrow and was already shipped to me from Amazon.
Also it looks like there's no special features. What do you guys think about that?

The movie looks and sounds good but includes only the trailer:

http://www.dvdmg.com/rocketeerbr.shtml

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users