What's new

Spielberg Q&A Raiders of the Lost Ark at 30th anniversary screening September 12th on status of Blu (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/30/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-with-steven-spielberg-qa-on-sept-12/?dlvrit=63378
To mark the 30th anniversary of “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” Hero Complex is hosting a free screening of the Indiana Jones classic – and a live onstage interview with Hollywood titan Steven Spielberg. The event with the three-time Oscar winner is Sept. 12 at the Regal Cinemas L.A. Live Stadium 14 in downtown Los Angeles. The screening of the newly restored and digitally projected film begins at 7 p.m., and the interview, moderated by Hero Complex lead writer Geoff Boucher, will follow the movie. The future of the franchise will be one of the top topics during the Sept. 12 interview.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Gawd I wish I lived in the US of A sometimes - I'd absolutely love to see this! I wonder if they'll be an announcement about Indy 5? There' s still so much they could explore with the franchise - I'd love to see one set in England. An Arthurian tale with a haunted castle and some mysterious mist shrouded lakes and so on... Hopefully this interview will be available online at some point?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see this released across the rest country. I would see it in a heartbeat! Please keep us updated.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Dave H said:
I would love to see this released across the rest country. I would see it in a heartbeat! Please keep us updated.
As it is going to be digitally projected, it seems like something they could rerelease without problem. The local movie tavern occationally shows Raiders. As for living in the U.S., it is almost as easy to go to England as LA.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Raiders, a love note: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/31/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-damon-lindelof-indiana-jones-love-letter-free-screening-lost-star-trek-harrison-ford/

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Hope Spielberg gets plenty of Indy5 questions as they can still make 1 last adventure. I loved KOTCS so more of the same is fine by me...... Sept 2012 is quite obviously when the Indy Blurays will leave the hangar 51 warehouse & Lucasfilm will hopefully do them justice extras wise they have a lot of archive material on Indy.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Hope Spielberg gets plenty of Indy5 questions as they can still make 1 last adventure. I loved KOTCS so more of the same is fine by me......
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
From today's Bits Report
At last night's L.A. Times/Hero Complex screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark in Los Angeles, director Steven Spielberg confirmed that the Indiana Jones films are "coming soon" to Blu-ray, but only when producer George Lucas is ready. Spielberg would apparently like that to be within 6 months, while Lucas is apparently on more of a 12-month schedule. [Editor's Note: Our industry sources continue to tell us to look for the release in the 2nd half of 2012, as part of Paramount's 100th studio anniversary celebration.] The print that was shown last night was the digital restoration that will be used for the Blu-ray, and it apparently looks terrific. Spielberg reportedly made a point of noting that nothing has been tampered with in the film and there's no added dialogue, which drew some laughs from the crowd for obvious reasons. It's not yet decided if the set will include all four films in the series or just the unreleased trilogy. Star Harrison Ford was also on hand at the event as a guest and said he'd be up for doing a 5th Indy film as long as his character "isn't going to Mars" (which drew more laughs as you can imagine). Talks for a sequel are apparently under way. Spielberg also confirmed again that E.T. is coming to Blu-ray from Universal in 2012, but likely only the original theatrical cut. He asked the audience if they'd care if the "new" version wasn't on the Blu-ray, which generated a big "NO!" Spielberg acknowledged this and said he regrets making the changes he did for the DVD. So there you go - some good news indeed! Thanks to a whole bunch of our old friends (and many longtime Bits readers - too numerous to mention, but you know who you are) who were on hand last night and who e-mailed afterwards with these details. Let's just say our inbox was pretty full by Midnight!

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
So Spielberg and Harrisson want to do another one, and are waiting on George... again. How long does it take to find a McGuffin?!!! I'd love to see a film set in England (OK being slightly selfish here as I live in the UK haha!) with some old haunted castles, mist shrouded lakes, perils, thrills and spills! Let's hope if there is a new one the film takes itself seriously - like Raiders - which is to say no more slapstick. Humour - yes! That's a hallmark of the series, of course. But it went too far the other way in Last Crusade and epecially Crystal Skull. Less of Indiana Jones and his Family have an adventure too... If this is the last film, it would be great to see Indy adventuring on his own again - like the beginning of Raiders... Seeing him really challaneged and having to solve riddles/clues/traps using his cunning and experience. Bring the GRIT back to Indy George/Steven - perlease!!!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I'm in no rush for a fifth movie as I thought the forth one was just awful. Raiders is a true classic. I don't like the second one, but the third is a lot of fun. Just great looking Blu-rays please.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
More from AICN http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51176
ET Blu-Ray: It’s coming. Spielberg said he wanted to poll the audience. He asked us if there was anybody in the crowd that would be disappointed if the 2002 Special Edition was not included on the Blu, if it was only the original 1982 version. He was greeted with a roaring “No!” from the crowd and said, “Well, that settles it then.” So, he strongly implied the ET Blu-Ray will be the original theatrical cut only and not even include the gun-less, penis breath-less CGI’d ET version. On the ET SE: Spielberg said he let the immense criticism from parent groups after the theatrical release of ET get to him, which is what prompted the guns being taken out and the removal of the penis-breath line. He admitted that was a mistake and that he realized after the fact that changing the movie was “robbing the people of their memories of the movie.” He had a very hard time with that and said he confirmed what he told me in our interview that you won’t see any more digital tinkering in future releases of his films.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
SamT said:
More from AICN http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51176
ET Blu-Ray: It’s coming. Spielberg said he wanted to poll the audience. He asked us if there was anybody in the crowd that would be disappointed if the 2002 Special Edition was not included on the Blu, if it was only the original 1982 version. He was greeted with a roaring “No!” from the crowd and said, “Well, that settles it then.” So, he strongly implied the ET Blu-Ray will be the original theatrical cut only and not even include the gun-less, penis breath-less CGI’d ET version. On the ET SE: Spielberg said he let the immense criticism from parent groups after the theatrical release of ET get to him, which is what prompted the guns being taken out and the removal of the penis-breath line. He admitted that was a mistake and that he realized after the fact that changing the movie was “robbing the people of their memories of the movie.” He had a very hard time with that and said he confirmed what he told me in our interview that you won’t see any more digital tinkering in future releases of his films.
Oh man - George could definitely learn a thing or 3 from his example. At least one of the beards is doing the right thing! Gawd bless you Mr Spielberg, Sir!!! :D Now please make a KICK-ASS Raiders-toned mysterious/scary/supernatural Indy 5, to truly send the character out on a filmic high! Fingers crossed...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
more from Blu-Ray.com
Blu-ray.com was in attendance for the 30th Anniversary screening of Steven Spielberg's adventure classic, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Audience members were not only treated to a digitally restored print of the film (which looked pristine), but also witnessed a Q&A session with Spielberg and surprise guest, Harrison Ford. The event was hosted by The Los Angeles Times and moderated by Hero Complex columnist Geoff Boucher. The big question leading up to the night was if the director would divulge any information regarding the Blu-ray release of the first three Indiana Jones films. Spielberg answered this question with a succinct, "We don't know", but elaborated by saying he hopes they will be available soon. Here are his exact words: "We don't know. Soon but we don't know when soon is. Soon in my world would be about 6 months but soon in George's world is later than six months but I don't know. He's coming out with Star Wars first and then after that he's going to position Raiders. We're just not sure if its going to be Raiders, Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade one, two, three separately or if all three will be together. They haven't decided yet."

LCD22

Screenwriter
Good, no CGI shot in Raiders. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull received a pretty solid standalone release, and I don't really see the need to include it in the set. They pretty much covered everything in the bonus materials. I hope their focus will be on the original trilogy next year. What about the teaser trailer for Temple of Doom? It wasn't included in the 2003 Best Buy Exclusive. EDIT: Sorry Oscar didn't see your post before I submitted mine.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So has the reflection of the cobra in the safety glass has been re-inserted into Raiders, then?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
TravisR said:
Indiana Jones will be out on Blu-ray in either September or October next year. No sooner and no later.
Q4 does make the most sense from a business perspective. For Spielberg though, maybe he doesn't want ET, Jaws, and Indy to hit Blu all at the same time and he knows Indy is the furthest along...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks